Home Forums Bike Forum Is ebiking “giving in/up”?

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 727 total)
  • Is ebiking “giving in/up”?
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

Joking aside the issue of what happens to the batteries, how long they last on anbe and how they are produced in the first place does concern me a bit.

That is a fair question. Hopefully the batteries will recycle better than the carbon frames (including those on accoustic bikes),not to mention how some of those are produced in the first place.

Funny how that never seemed to bother that many, even before the ebike hatred was a thing.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I hope one day I’m recycled

‘Soylent Green’ was set in 2022. I don’t think we’ve got that far just yet but maybe your wish can come true…

Bruce

I was thinking about being composted,

Or fed to crows?

vlad_the_invader

I’m far more likely to search out new trails and duck down the odd track I’ve never been down on the ebike rather than the regular bike.

And this is exactly the point I made many pages back. Now, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but in some areas, that extra traffic has potential negative implications (landowner disapproval or extra trail wear). In some areas that’s a problem, particularly if they are “remote”

Now, I’m not saying ebikes cause more erosion but they enable more people to do this.  The extra effort required to explore these types of areas/trails on non-ebikes means there is some element of gate-keeping which ebikes removes. Some may not care about this, some may do. 

I’d be more accepting of ebikes if the industry contributed more to trail advocacy but all I see at the moment is the industry cashing in. Please feel free to correct me if you have examples of ebike manufacturers (apart from Santa Cruz, who do so this) putting time or money into trail building or advocacy

argee

Having an ebike allows me to do a quick check of trails early to make sure there’s no issues, when i’m on the normal bike i don’t do that 😂, also note that a couple of the trail pixies in our area ride ebikes and it allows them to move their tools about a bit easier when fixing any damage.

Again, it’s down to people rather than what they ride

funkmasterp

That is a fair question. Hopefully the batteries will recycle better than the carbon frames (including those on accoustic bikes),not to mention how some of those are produced in the first place.

Funny how that never seemed to bother that many, even before the ebike hatred was a thing.

One of the reasons I’ve never owned a carbon frame. That and the fact I love steel, mainly for the looks tbh. I buy used bikes 90% of the time too. Current and only bike is Ti, which makes me feel a bit bad. It’s shiny though

pothead
    Free Member

Please feel free to correct me if you have examples of ebike manufacturers (apart from Santa Cruz, who do so this) putting time or money into trail building or advocacy

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/soil-searching-uk

monkeyboyjc

The ebike are bad argument based on ‘recycling’ always amuses me – there is nothing, not a single part of mountain biking as a leisure activity that can be dreamed as environmentally friendly, from the equipment, accessories & clothing, trail centres or biways. It’s a leisure sport and activity – its a misconception that because ‘cycling’ is better for the environment than a car that the leisure pursuit is also.

And this is exactly the point I made many pages back. Now, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but in some areas, that extra traffic has potential negative implications (landowner disapproval or extra trail wear). In some areas that’s a problem, particularly if they are “remote”

Now, I’m not saying ebikes cause more erosion but they enable more people to do this.  The extra effort required to explore these types of areas/trails on non-ebikes means there is some element of gate-keeping which ebikes removes. Some may not care about this, some may do.

You’ve put that across quite diplomatically, so this response isn’t a direct rebuff to what you’ve said and in part, I agree, but…

The general sentiment smacks a little of others that have been mooted in this thread – that being that the line gets drawn at whatever anti-ebikers choose/deem to be right.

Taking it back further, should we be riding some trails (forgetting current weather conditions for a while) on normal bikes when they are perfectly fine to be walked? Should we limit the type of tyre used?

At some point, someone was the first to ride the trails you (you, as in the generalisation, not you personally) now ride, on the equipment you choose to ride it on. Anti ebikers often deem that to be the exact point line should be drawn.

All that said, yes there are probably a lot of places bikes possibly shouldn’t go, ebikes and normal bikes. But then there are some humans who can get places on normal bikes that normal folks on ebikes cant. Not a location that is taboo to ride per se, but take up Jacobs ladder for example – Nick Craig cleaned it, I and probably the majority of ebikers still wouldn’t stand a chance with a motor.

funkmasterp

The ebike are bad argument based on ‘recycling’ always amuses me – there is nothing, not a single part of mountain biking as a leisure activity that can be dreamed as environmentally friendly, from the equipment, accessories & clothing, trail centres or biways. It’s a leisure sport and activity – its a misconception that because ‘cycling’ is better for the environment than a car that the leisure pursuit is also.

Adding a battery and a motor makes it worse by a fair degree though to be fair. At a time when, collectively, we should be looking to reduce environmental impacts as much as possible.

gowerboy

This thread is becoming a masterclass in whataboutary.

funkmasterp

Becoming? It was that way by page two! 😂

vlad_the_invader

The general sentiment smacks a little of others that have been mooted in this thread – that being that the line gets drawn at whatever anti-ebikers choose/deem to be right.

No, that’s “you” (ebikers collectively) being overly sensitive to criticism because exactly the same argument is used about tracking “secret” rides and publishing them on Strava, and that applies no matter what type of bike is used.
    All I’m doing is pointing out is that ebikes remove some of the element of gate-keeping that kept the number of people who are willing to spend their time and effort “exploring” less well travelled trails (which may be less well travelled for good reason).

monkeyboyjc

Adding a battery and a motor makes it worse by a fair degree though to be fair. At a time when, collectively, we should be looking to reduce environmental impacts as much as possible.

I agree, to some extent – but are you going to give up MTB completely purely because it’s lack of environmental credentials?

funkmasterp

God no! You crazy man! I am however, riding from the door, using my only bike for any type of riding and have no plans to buy any new kit or parts. Looking for a slightly longer stem, higher rise bars and a 130mm fork when funds allow. All will be bought used. If I do look for another bike (I’m a serial swapper) it’ll be used and the current bike will pay towards it.

tjmoore

People who buy ebikes are people who have open minds. deep pockets

It’s the next new thing and the industry chases what people will spend shed loads of money on. The market is perhaps moving away from high-end “analogue” bikes to ebikes because that’s what sells.

Though I’m more disappointed at 29ers being popular and less 27.5 being made, because that’s what sells. Still struggling with the move from 26 😄

kerley
    Free Member

I will just be glad when everyone is riding one so we don’t have to put up with people calling a bike an analogue bike…

johnjn2000

Please feel free to correct me if you have examples of ebike manufacturers (apart from Santa Cruz, who do so this) putting time or money into trail building or advocacy

YT, Specialized, and Canyon 

gowerboy

look at the trails in the latest Itchy Boots video; must have been a load of e-bikers using that route.

dyna-ti

Is it wrong to let out a small snigger as you overtake people on a hill, or into a strong headwind ?

Rubber_Buccaneer

^ I prefer to cruise up alongside and engage in cheery conversation 😀

Bruce

Rule 1

Don’t be a dick.

I prefer to cruise up alongside and engage in cheery conversation 😀

I like it – force them to talk when they need every bit of oxygen in their lungs. Good work ;-)

Bruce

Back under the bridge please

singlespeedstu

We had an encounter with an unknown ebiker yesterday while we were riding our manual bikes.
    Shock horror it was at a popular Scottish trail centre too.

Contrary to what some folks seem to think about either “side”.
    I tried to let him past but he rode the rest of the climb with us chatting away.
    We then showed him a couple of off piste trails he didn’t know and he asked us a few questions about ebikes. He was on a test ride and it was his first go on a eeber.

Maybe we’ve been doing it wrong but this is how 99% of our rides go no matter what bike we or strangers are riding.

Should I have told him he needs to blast past people in silence then bum their dog?
    Should he have told us we were doing it wrong and should be on our ebikes?
    It’s all so confusing.

As a side note. None of the people involved were fat or lazy.

onehundredthidiot

He didn’t have a dodgy ‘tache? Mate of mine is ebike curious but doesn’t want to have a go on mine in case he likes it too much.

Maybe we’ve been doing it wrong but this is how 99% of our rides go no matter what bike we or strangers are riding.

Same

Except the two asshats on ebikes on our Christmas ride that just forced their way past the group on a climb at Black Rocks without even a word. They received a few disparaging comments

nickfrog
    Free Member

Idiots are idiots irrespective of bike. And they are a tiny minority IME so castigating someone or having strong confirmation bias like some on this thread is a far better indication of idiocy than whether the bike is assisted or not.

molgrips
    Free Member

I met a bloke on an eBike a few months back, he passed me on a climb. He started with a standard hello, then looked conflicted for a while and then sheepishly said ‘sorry, it’s an ebike..’ as if it were something to be ashamed of.

Good!  You deserve to be ashamed you freeloader!

sirromj

Idiots are idiots

Actually they’re people.

thols2

Idiots are idiots

Actually they’re people.

I think what he meant was that people are idiots.

Idiots = idiots
    People = people
    Idiots = people

Therefore:
    People = idiots

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m going out tomorrow on my regular bike after riding (i.e. giving up) my eeb for a month.

Am I now giving up, but on an analogue bike now that I have crossed the electric rubicon?

Or have I ducked back into the esteemed valhalla of ‘those who try’ such that I will drink toasts of electrolytes in their mighty company and share tales of true pain and suffering?

I plan to ride the eeb later next week also.

Do I now vacillate between the two categories like the moon follows the sun? Have I truly given up, or am I some kind of MTB double agent, destined to be reviled by both tribes and accepted by neither, but able to walk the line of both.

My future is unclear. The portents are clouded.

Can the arbiters of the one true way please offer their sage wisdom?

sirromj

Can the arbiters of the one true way please offer their sage wisdom?

In essence, the “one true way” for cycling, in a Thatcher-esque sense, could be framed as supporting a diverse range of choices within a free market, allowing individuals to make their own decisions based on their personal circumstances and desires.

HobNob
    Free Member

I gave up today, because it was 1.30 by the time I finished work. I only managed 40km & a measly 1600m of climbing/descending by 3.30 on the ebike.

I’ll pay for my sins, as I’m out with friends tomorrow on my non ebike & make sure I suffer like a dog for every single one of the 1500m of planned climbing as my penance for being such an ebiking loser today 🙂

julians
    Free Member

I’d like to confess my sins….

I went out on my ebike and only did the same ride as I would normally do on my neeb. I didn’t go any further or do any more climbing than I would normally do on a neeb, I did go a few Mph faster though, if that helps absolve my sins.

Oh I also had a sausage and egg bap in the cafe after the ride.

I also drove to the ride., but it was in an electric car, so that makes it all OK, right?

nickfrog
    Free Member

Idiots are idiots

Actually they’re people.

Not mutually exclusive, is it?

Selective quoting not really that smart, is it?

weeksy

I’d like to confess my sins….

I went out on my ebike and only did the same ride as I would normally do on my neeb. I didn’t go any further or do any more climbing than I would normally do on a neeb, I did go a few Mph faster though, if that helps absolve my sins.

Oh I also had a sausage and egg bap in the cafe after the ride.

I also drove to the ride., but it was in an electric car, so that makes it all OK, right

Sounds like a bloody good ride.

I rode my Fuel around Shuttcastle today and am at Dyfi tomorrow.
    More than once today I wished I was on the Rise, but weirdly, they were on the downhill bits not the climbs

hammy7272
    Free Member

I’m 43 and I’ve never ridden one. I’m sure I’ll get one in the future and I’m cool with that.

tjagain

I rode mine today – 25 hilly and quick miles with guys loads fitter than me.  I couldn’t have kept up otherwise. My god it can climb stuff with it all turned to turbo nutter bastard setting

ransos
    Free Member

As a side note. None of the people involved were fat or lazy.

I bet the ebiker wears Crocs though.

Viewing 40 posts - 681 through 720 (of 727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.