Home Forums Bike Forum Is ebiking “giving in/up”?

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 727 total)
  • Is ebiking “giving in/up”?
    shrinktofit
    Free Member

You should see the looks I get when I turn up to the open water swims with my sea scooter👀

flyingpotatoes

Don’t close the thread. It’s comedy gold.

argee

Sounds like we need a bit of game of thrones style punishment for ebikers on trails 😁

giphy

thols2

Is this the UK version of “take my rifle from my cold dead hands?”

I think the equivalent would be if people were arguing that shooting should be limited to muzzle loading single shot rifles and that modern repeating rifles are just skill compensators. (FWIW, I think that recreational shooting should be limited to bolt action rifles with a maximum magazine capacity of five, but that’s for public safety reasons, not sporting reasons.)

gowerboy

I met a couple on the Pictish Trail.  I think they were in their 70s.  They hadn’t given up touring/bikepacking they had got some e-bikes so they could keep doing it. They looked very happy. Aside from the ‘e’ bit, what they were doing was pretty similar to what I was doing.

Whilst I kind of get the analogy… I don’t think you would meet the sea kayaking equivalent in Great Loch Tarbert on a jetski… and you can simulate stereotypical jetskiesque behaviour on a mountain bike without a battery. And I’m not saying that all jet skiers are yobdicks (just lots of them).

onehundredthidiot

You are getting stressed about losing in a virtual race with people who don’t even know you are in a race with them

It’s always a race even if you’re the only person that knows it’s a race.

Bruce

This thread needs closing. It’s aggressive and unpleasant.

nickc

and hate myself until I die.

Unintendedly reveals why it sounds like you have such antipathy towards e-MTBs. It sounds like you don’t think riding should be fun, or you don’t think people should be allowed to have fun with some sort of punishment first. Which is, if you step back a bit;  a bit of a weird attitude, no?

joefm

I think as mountain bikers, we all prefer fun otherwise we’d be road cyclists (or worse). I own an ebike as well as other bikes and it’s great.
    I used to think they were for fat lazy people or people with mobility issues as you could put zero effort in to get up hills. This isn’t true. I get a work out (if it was my only form of exercise for two hours a week then it wouldnt be enough) but the key thing is it actually makes me get out riding when I wouldnt bother. i.e. when I’ve only got a few hours in a weekend.
    If my legs are **** from other exercise, i can still go riding too.

I dont think it is about giving up. It’s a tool to get more riding done.

I’m far from new to the sport. Finding the motivation to ride up a hill by myself is hard. I barely rode my enduro bike last year as I wait on friends but they have commitments and the opportunities to ride were few. In that context i had almost given up (other than XC).

But the ebike has meant that I can get uphills quicker so I’m less bored and can just do the stuff I can enjoy. I get 3x the descending in as i’m always moving, not standing around at the top chatting while my lactic acid goes away.

Most pro riders seem to use them too so any stigma that they get from some seems to be a bit weird.

Then there are those that think they’re cheating but use an uplifts them selves? Ebikes provides the same thing but everywhere.

Who is gatekeeping what mountain biking is anyway? Since when is it just about having to ride uphill or keeping fit? We ride mountain bikes because they’re fun. Because we’re hedonists. Ebikes allow us to have more of it. .

At this point the only people that hate on ebikes are ignorant, and if the sport to them is just about fitness, they should probably just ride a road bike or take up running.

kerley
    Free Member

It is doing a good job at highlighting how ridiculous some people are though but we don’t need more of those threads.

convert

Whilst I kind of get the analogy…

Yes, it doesn’t really work does it. I said culturally rather than behaviourally specifically. I was kind of thinking how you always know who the jetskiers are around a harbour. Somehow they just stand out. A swagger maybe. To try to make an analogy work with another analogy, it’s like the special needs kid in primary school walking around like Billy big Balls because he got a lolly for getting 8/10 in the spelling test but not appreciating he was the only one with ‘cat’, ‘sat’ and ‘mat’ in his test.

As I say, it’s just a whiff, not full bore Eau de Jetski tosser. And it doesn’t extend to oldies on e hybrids – they rock!

cookeaa

Jeebus! is this nonsense still trundling on?

I’m a confirmed “eeeb-hater” and even I’ve lost interest in trolling the eeeberists…

Come on folks its a new year, I’m not one for resolutions but I think we should all try to dial down the dickishness for 2024 (myself very much included).

thols2

It’s nice to be able to pop in here once a day and see the same familiar things getting repeated over and over while the world outside burns.

Bruce

I don’t know about anybody else but for me a bike is a way to explore, discover new places, contect with nature and the environment. I don’t enjoy laps of a trail centre but thats not a critisim of those who do. I like to just ride natural tracks and by ways.

I also like to ride my gravel bike and sometimes a road bike. I like to go touring/bike packing.

I don’t need an ebike to to this. If you want one that’s fine.

It’s all a mater of choice.

jameso

Who is gatekeeping what mountain biking is anyway?

Erm

and if the sport to them is just about fitness, they should probably just ride a road bike or take up running.

you? : ) 

ditch_jockey

Please don’t close the thread, it’s comedy gold!

sirromj

I’m giving up and am going to use ChatGPT from this point on.

Using an electric bike (e-bike) is not necessarily “giving up” on traditional cycling; rather, it’s a choice that reflects the evolving landscape of transportation options and personal preferences. People choose e-bikes for various reasons, and it doesn’t imply a lack of commitment to cycling or physical activity. Here are some reasons why individuals might opt for e-bikes:

• Assistance for Commuting: E-bikes can make commuting more accessible, especially in hilly terrain or over long distances. The electric assistance allows riders to cover greater distances with less effort, making them a practical choice for commuting.
    • Physical Limitations or Health Concerns: Some individuals may have physical limitations or health conditions that make traditional cycling challenging. E-bikes provide a way for people with varying fitness levels or health concerns to enjoy cycling without putting excessive strain on their bodies.
    • Encouraging More People to Cycle: E-bikes can attract individuals who might not have considered cycling due to concerns about physical exertion or the ability to navigate challenging terrain. The assisted pedaling feature can make cycling more inclusive and appealing to a broader audience.
    • Increased Speed and Efficiency: E-bikes can help riders maintain higher speeds with less effort, potentially reducing travel time and making them a practical choice for those with time constraints.
    • Environmental Considerations: Despite some environmental concerns related to battery production, e-bikes are generally considered more environmentally friendly than traditional motorized vehicles. Choosing an e-bike can align with an individual’s commitment to reducing their carbon footprint.

Ultimately, the decision to use an e-bike is a personal one, influenced by various factors such as fitness goals, commuting needs, health considerations, and lifestyle preferences. Many cyclists appreciate the benefits of both traditional and electric bikes and may use them in different contexts. The key is to find a mode of transportation that aligns with individual preferences and allows for an enjoyable and sustainable means of getting around.

Basically, e-bikes are the cycling equivalent of an author using ChatGPT to write their book ;-)

joefm

Who is gatekeeping what mountain biking is anyway?

Erm

and if the sport to them is just about fitness, they should probably just ride a road bike or take up running.

you? : )

tongue in cheek/sarcasm. forgot to notate…

thols2

I would like to see an AI Autoreply button integrated into the site so that AI can just go back through each user’s posting history and write an appropriate response to any topic when I can’t be bothered replying to the same question that’s been rehashed over and over again.

johnjn2000

Culturally I think there is just a whiff of jetski about them. Not As strong, but it’s there. As in watersports where a typical jetskier cant smell it, it’s probably the same with eMTBs.

@convert
    , living on the south coast I can very much see where you are coming from with this comment :-)

jameso

tongue in cheek/sarcasm. forgot to notate…

Fair enough : )

Not a bad idea and intrigued to know what AI would make of threads like this. It’d probably set up Cyberdyne Systems and take over soon after : )

for me a bike is a way to explore, discover new places, contect with nature and the environment. I don’t enjoy laps of a trail centre but thats not a critisim of those who do. I like to just ride natural tracks and by ways.

I know you say you can/do explore on your normal bike.

When you have an ebike you tend to find yourself exploring quite a lot more. Where does that trail go that you’d normally ignore on a normal bike – ebike, just shoot off and have a look, doesn’t matter so much if it turns to nothing. Yes, obviously you can do this on a normal bike, but you just seem inclined to do it more on an ebike

weeksy

When you have an ebike you tend to find yourself exploring quite a lot more. Where does that trail go that you’d normally ignore on a normal bike – ebike, just shoot off and have a look, doesn’t matter so much if it turns to nothing. Yes, obviously you can do this on a normal bike, but you just seen inclined to do it more on an ebike

100% this. I’ve found “let’s see where this goes” far more prevalent. For me it’s because sometimes the trail is rubbish/no entry and you’ve wasted half of your ride time if on a manual being disappointed by a trail. It’s also the speed meaning in your window of riding you can simply cover more territory, even the stuff you sometimes just save for a long day out, that’s now within reach of a short one.

convert

When you I have an ebike you I tend to find yourself myself exploring quite a lot more. Where does that trail go that you’d I’d normally ignore on a normal bike – ebike, just shoot off and have a look, doesn’t matter so much if it turns to nothing. Yes, obviously you I can do this on a normal bike, but you I just seen inclined to do it more on an ebike.

We’re all different and you speak from your own experience, inclination and perspective.

benpinnick

100% this. I’ve found “let’s see where this goes” far more prevalent. For me it’s because sometimes the trail is rubbish/no entry and you’ve wasted half of your ride time if on a manual being disappointed by a trail. It’s also the speed meaning in your window of riding you can simply cover more territory, even the stuff you sometimes just save for a long day out, that’s now within reach of a short one.

Ive certainly noticed a proliferation of ‘I wouldn’t ride down there’ trails. Trails that maybe you ride once and swear off (usually deer tracks) that now have well marked entrances due to heavier use in both senses… That still go no-where.

Cant say for sure if thats 100% e-influenced, but its certainly a thing now round our way. Ive only been tempted once to see if the trail was miraculously now rideable (eeb or not). It wasn’t.

We’re all different and you speak from your own experience, inclination and perspective

You do realise that in the English language ‘you’ can be used as a generalisation and not a specific singling out of an individual?

Considering that a lot of people (outside this thread as well) are in agreement with what I said, that would indicate it’s not just my findings and my findings alone 🤷

But yes, perhaps Bruce personally wouldn’t explore more on an ebike than he does already, perhaps he’d just do laps of a trail centre. I don’t know 

convert

You do realise that in the English language ‘you’ can be used as a generalisation and not a specific singling out of an individual?

But you weren’t were you – you were making a sweeping generalisation based on your own experiences. So couch it like that to be more clear.

Personally exploring the road less travelled is my natural MO already – because legs.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Personally exploring the road less travelled is my natural MO already – because legs.

I am pretty sure you need legs on an ebike too. I also understand that it’s entirely possible to own an ebike and a conventional bike. Different days, different bikes.

IME they make brilliant tools for exploring the road less travelled too.

funkmasterp

Sounds like we need a bit of game of thrones style punishment for ebikers on trails 😁

I vote for referring to them as land jet skis. That whiff of jet ski comment has tickled me. Please don’t close this, it’s the best thread we’ve had in ages.

Re: Strava – always log as an ebike ride, but do sometimes load it up as a normal ride just for a couple of mins to check DH segment times.

I did accidentally have my phone set to e-mountain bike ride when I was on my normal bike a few months ago and bagged a 2nd place eeber trophy, so left it up ;-) Should take it down really as had forgot about it….

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Another example of **** getting annoyed that others don’t behave /think the same as they do :)

Thanks, zoom catch-ups today, quality reading.

I took the ebike out yesterday but forgot to bring the Kiox display so there was no power, being fat and lazy but not wanting to not use the parking fee I rode it anyway. Wont be doing that again.

tazzymtb

is an Ebike giving up?

well, yes, but then  so is gears In my Opinion, as everyone knows only singlespeederists are the true gods of cycling, the rest of you lot are just too stubborn to admit how amazeballs we really are.

Basically you are all wronguns and any conversation about about a which is worse between and on oingly boingly geared thing and an oingly boingly geared thing with gears and a motor, is equivalent to arguing which was more  murdery,  Harold Shipman or Fred West

I’m off to spin my legs like a demented hamster whilst wearing my razor wire thong in the rain. (to make it even more authentically miserable, I shall do so without a mud guard or glasses)

monkeyboyjc

When you have an ebike you tend to find yourself exploring quite a lot more. Where does that trail go that you’d normally ignore on a normal bike – ebike, just shoot off and have a look, doesn’t matter so much if it turns to nothing. Yes, obviously you can do this on a normal bike, but you just seen inclined to do it more on an ebike

Yep I also find this – I’m far more likely to search out new trails and duck down the odd track I’ve never been down on the ebike rather than the regular bike.

chiefgrooveguru

“well, yes, but then so is gears In my Opinion, as everyone knows only singlespeederists are the true gods of cycling, the rest of you lot are just too stubborn to admit how amazeballs we really are.”

This is the truth.

And when I choose to give up, I go all the way and don’t stop at merely adding gears and more suspension but also a motor too!

ribena
    Free Member

No I think unicyclists are the true gods. Everyone else is just being lazy, balancing along only one axis with their superfluous wheel.

Bruce

I got rid of my unicycle, in truth I could never ride it more than short distances. I also feared I would injure myself.

If I had an e unicyle things might have been different :)

funkmasterp

All the other upgrades like gears, suspension, droppers, hydraulic brakes etc are mechanical in nature. A motor is an entirely different thing imo of course. Also disclaimer that I don’t really give a shit what people ride. I’m just enjoying those taking this way too seriously.

Joking aside the issue of what happens to the batteries, how long they last on anbe and how they are produced in the first place does concern me a bit.

Bruce

Hopefully the batteries will get recycled?

colp

<funkmasterp>That’ll be the first bit of cycling involved in the whole process then.</funkmasterp>

matt_outandabout

I hope one day I’m recycled.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.