Home Forums Bike Forum Is ebiking “giving in/up”?

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 727 total)
  • Is ebiking “giving in/up”?
  • desperatebicycle

I do the apology for cheating bit too! But only jokingly. Chatted to a couple of riders the other day and one said “you can just lean back and let the bike do the work”, I said “Yup I’m a lazy bastard eh!” and he replied “No!” as I rode off (effortlessly)- actually, he mightve been on an Eeb too but I didn’t check his bike. It was all in jest.
    That was at QECP, where there are a ton of new lines avoiding any slightly techie or rooty bits, obviously created by all the eebers that go up there these days.

sirromj

Well at least both sides have one thing in common: the desire for more, whether that be smiles or misery, all that matters is more. There’s no giving up on either side. Typical bloody humans.

😉

kerley
    Free Member

Not all of us are on a side. I save being on a side for things that actually matter.

LAT

It’s a real pain in the arse getting it in and out of the car.

you’re supposed to ride your ebike to the trails

It can be, though imho suffering is some term Rapha came up with. It’s exertion and it can feel good, but riding is different things to different people.

i take suffering to mean the effort required to access the good bits of trails, not bleeding through your eyeballs in a stylish black and white photo shoot.

For me an eBike is a tool like a hammer, and a normal bike is a thing of beauty that you look after and give a cuddle after a ride. Is it just me?

i agree. and the am9 is a very well proportioned bike to my eye.

I’m not saying every eBiker works hard, but some do and enjoy it.

or you could save yourself a few quid and ride a bike for a similar enjoyment

Neither of these concerns are specific to Ebikes of course and I’ve yet to see or hear of an increase in mountain rescue call outs so my concerns may well be completely unjustified.

this is an interesting train of thought. would e-bikes take people into places that are sufficiently tough to need mountain rescue when things go wrong? or would they be more likely to increase traffic in more accessible area? or is it just a matter of time?

Ive had such a laugh riding the bike through thick mud and slop

which suggests e-bikeing iscloser to 4x4ing than it is to cycling and possibly why people liken them to MX bikes.

vlad_the_invader

this is an interesting train of thought. would e-bikes take people into places that are sufficiently tough to need mountain rescue when things go wrong? or would they be more likely to increase traffic in more accessible area? or is it just a matter of time?

A few years ago (waaaay before ebikes were a thing), IMBA encouraged mountain bike trail organizations to develop “stacked loop” trail systems which tended to place easier trails nearer to the trail head/car parks and the more difficult trails further out from the trail head. The theory being newcomers to the sport would generally be less fit than more experienced riders, meaning they tended to stay on the easier trails until they got fitter and more experienced.
    Once riders had developed the fitness and technical skills, they would explore some of the harder trails. Obviously, this isn’t a “rule” that had to apply to all riders but it acted as enough of a filter than trail organizations could “sell” the theory to nervous land managers meaning trails could actually be built AND they could be more “adventurous” than just manicured pea gravel.
    Ebikes have just up-ended that whole theory/ethos as “anyone” can get themselves over their heads pretty damn quickly whereas prior to ebikes a lack of fitness was an effective barrier to some trails.
    OTOH, ebikes can be a fantastic tool for trail builders and rescue personnel.

PXL_20231230_031141904.MP

minus
    Free Member

When my mother is asked about getting an e-bike she says not until she’s 80; “I haven’t given up on life yet”. So from that authoritative source the answer is yes!

Having seen the cutting out of any corners/roots/ features by eebs at Cannock and QECP I wonder why these folk go on the trails at all. They don’t seem to want to ride them, so why not stick to the fire roads and not destroy the trails?

Pauly

I think people chasing KOMs on Strava has led to as much, if not more corner cutting on my local trails than people on eBikes.

colp

which suggests e-bikeing iscloser to 4x4ing than it is to cycling and possibly why people liken them to MX bikes.

The only people who do that probably haven’t ridden an ebike and definitely haven’t ridden an MX bike, and in this instance, you probably mean and enduro or trail bike.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Some serious confirmation bias going on here of late.

Stop being so intolerant, just do your own thing and smile. And if you can’t smile, stop blaming fellow cyclists, sort your life out instead.

Live and let live.

gowerboy

I have a Tern ebike that I use for getting about with stuff.  I love it and it replaces as many car journeys as it does commuting bike journeys.  It makes me smile every time I ride it so  I do get the appeal of an EMTB.  I don’t think it is giving up.  But, saying that, I am happy on my normal bikes for my non utility riding.  I know that may change one day…

Just a thought; I have looked after the motor on my Tern (mudguards, never immersing it, etc) but I still needed to get a bearing changed at just 8000 miles.  So with all this talk of enjoying riding through slop; don’t EMTBs become a bit of a maintenance pit? If I had one I imagine I would be avoiding slop and river crossings?

thols2

Stop being so intolerant, just do your own thing and smile. And if you can’t smile, stop blaming fellow cyclists, sort your life out instead.

I have trouble smiling because I had a huge bike crash about 20 years ago and had to have my face stitched back on. Trying to smile puts a lot of strain on all the scars, it’s quite uncomfortable. What should I do?

weeksy

A full motor rebuild is £260, which is only the same as a fork and shock service. So in honesty it’s not terrible

Needing a new motor or battery would sting a bit more

scotroutes

would e-bikes take people into places that are sufficiently tough to need mountain rescue when things go wrong?

Well, my concern is just that it’ll take more folk into those places and that perhaps more of those folk will be unprepared for the potential consequences.

At a very simplistic level, the folk currently exploring those areas on a bike have qualified simply by dint of being relatively fit and could therefore be assumed to be fit enough to extract themselves if they’re not injured. 

FWIW I do realise this is all broad-brush stuff and the world isn’t divided into fit cyclists and unfit Ebikers. 

shrinktofit
    Free Member

Live and let live is such a silly saying. It gets used to say ‘mind your business’

Sounds like- Turn a blind eye to actions that impact everyone

Most here aren’t 13 any more, we are expected to make considered choices. Eebing brings some different considerations to biking and humans wanting ‘more’ isn’t a popular justification in this era.

Does it matter? Let the crowd be the judge🤪

onehundredthidiot

mc
    Free Member

I think people chasing trying to knock a couple seconds of their mid pack time KOMs on Strava has led to as much,

FTFY.

I do laugh at some straight lines, and wonder why some riders don’t just find some fire breaks to straight line down, as for me part of the fun is trying to ride all the trail features. Plus you don’t get faster by riding straight lines.

Although I did watch an e-biker straight line the berms on the new Red at Glentress a few weeks ago, and almost wipe out numerous times on the loose gravel. It very much looked like a couple mates had convinced him that it would be fun to hire an eBike, but they just shot of ahead leaving him to struggle down, however that’s certainly not e-bike specific.

One of his mates also didn’t seem to take too kindly to me not stopping at the next section. I thought they would wait to check their mate was OK as he got there just in front of me, but as soon as they seen me not stop, one of them tried to chase me down. He almost caught up until he hit 15mph 🙈

argee

Meh, there’s more folk who cause mountain rescue and the likes problems going up munroes, or snowdonia and so on without the required ability and equipment, in the main, folk on ebikes i see at FoD and the likes are pretty good riders, who have gone ebike more for miles and runs rather than diving away into the depths of nowhere. Those i see who are weekend leisure riders are going on pretty much hardpack all the time, you see them going round and just doing miles and enjoying a day out, then back to the car or hire shop.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’m 58. Have 2 E-MTBs & 3 normal MTBs.

If I’m riding with friends on E-Bikes I take one too. If friends are on normal bikes then so am I. Sometimes Her Indoors takes an E-Bike & I ride a normal one. It’s also useful for towing the kids up the climbs at trail centres.

On my own? If I’m pushed for time & have a short window to ride. E-Bike.

More time – normal bike.

E-Bike riding has made me fitter coz it’s still time on the bike & you’re still pedalling. That 60 minute slot when the kids were at Scouts – I probably wouldn’t have gone for a ride without an E-Bike. I’d have sat in the car watching YouTube & eating Mars Bars with a flask if tea.

My skills have improved too. I’d got pretty rusty & kinda lost my mojo a bit. The E-Bike allowed me to climb then descend multiple technical trails then repeat and repeat.

I’ll never do all my riding on an E-Bike but it’s a great option to have.

I think MBoy said something about generating more  heat on an E-Bike? Couldn’t disagree more. I’m like a furnace climbing on a normal bike but but freeze my arse off on an E-Bike. No wonder you see all those blokes dressed to climb Ben Nevis pedalling up at trail centres eating crisps.

BadlyWiredDog

I think people chasing KOMs on Strava has led to as much, if not more corner cutting on my local trails than people on eBikes.

I think people eating too many Mars Bars has led to as much, if not more erosion on my local trails than people on e-bikes ;-)

matt_outandabout

I’m wondering if some of the direction of development and marketing of ebikes has led to many attitudes.

Currently ‘best’ eBike = MOAR powah, MOAR battery, MOAR wide tyres with DH casing, MOAR shredits showing athletes taking on death defying or gravity defying feats. Big Enduro helmets, bum bags and loud FOX clothing included.

No different from much of mountain biking then.

When for many people lighter and efficient would be more appropriate.

It’s led to a culture, and I mean this across our sport, but perhaps typified by eBikes, that I don’t really fit in with.

I like eBikes, heck mrs_oab and I love her eBike, but maybe it’s the culture I’m less comfy with – it’s just not me.

jameso

Currently ‘best’ eBike = MOAR powah, MOAR battery, MOAR wide tyres with DH casing, MOAR shredits showing athletes taking on death defying or gravity defying feats. Big Enduro helmets, bum bags and loud FOX clothing included.

No different from much of mountain biking then.

I have times when I think it’s all a bit too MX and not the side of MTB I relate to – then I remember the loud stuff we used to wear in 1990 and the way MTB was even back then and how it probably looked to the walkers and horse riders. Not much has changed really, can’t blame e-bikes for any of it. The market’s still mainly middle-aged blokes and the imagery and styling all go with that.

I know what you mean though, as MTB goes more MOAR what’s happened to more toned-down XC riding? Trends and scenes develop until close to parody and then something comes along to fill in the middle ground between what that trend once was and what it’s become. That’s how we have gravel bikes : )

matt_outandabout

Agreed!

That’s how we have gravel bikes : )

I think that’s why I enjoy mine :)

Bruce

Just look at this very magazine. The current issue has lots of Gnar, lots of ebikes, and epic overseas trips.

The whole thing has very little to do with the type of riding I have always done.

Some on here like charging round trail centres but I am sure a lot of people don’t do that sort of riding.

sharkattack

The whole thing has very little to do with the type of riding I have always done.

Would anyone read a magazine that only features you and your local rides?

Bruce

No but the current offering is not that great. I accept that I won’t like all the articles. The last bimble article they had they did on ebikes.

The relentless jumpy trail centre stuff is just as dull. There are nice things to see if you emerge from the trail centres.

If it was based around my type of riding it would be very dull as I am somewhat past my use by date, but lots of people do all sorts of stuff that is interesting.

The best thing recently was Amanda’s touring in Spain, that didn’t make the magazine.

seadog101

No E-bike for me, thanks.

54, and resonably fit with no major health issues.

I can manage the hills at my own pace, and can do many miles if I’m not trying to break records.

The compromise of an E-bike is that you get a free pass up the hills, at the expense of a massively heavier bike for all other times.  Also, I’d be stuffed if something broke and I was in the middle of nowhere with a lump of a bike to drag back to humanity.

teethgrinder

Just done a ride today on the 916 I did on the KSL in Thursday night…same distance and elevation.

On Thursday it was a group of proper bikes and mopeds. I didn’t want to be that dick just blasting off ahead, so hung back and still had fun.

Today was all proper bikes, and it was much harder work. Higher max and average heart rate (both 20 bpm higher) more calories used, but nearly the same riding time.

The KSL is great for powering through mud, especially when there’s hills, and riding from the door it’s great for getting back up to the top of the hill where I live, but the 916 is a better bike (I’d love it with an SL or TQ motor and lightweight battery).  The KSL I can also ride with a down jacket on. No chance on the 916.

However, if it’d been a group of SL bikes or probably would’ve been a harder ride, and if it’d been a mix of SL and full power, I wonder how much the turns would’ve tabled.

belugabob
    Free Member

I’d be interested to know if there is any intersection between the eebers and the gravelists….

That’ll be me – my gravel bike is an e-bike (first on both counts), and was bought to make bike packing with my (much) younger riding buddies, more enjoyable. It has worked a treat.

As for the lack of friendliness – I have singlespeed, gears, hybrid, gravel, e-bike & road bike (I also have a unicycle, but we won’t go there) but none of those stop me from being friendly towards others – regardless of their bike choice (even if that’s to not have one)
    This is just like the “cyclists Vs drivers” fallacy – it’s just sociable folk Vs sociopaths, really.

Bikes, mates, fun & cake – that’s all you need to know.

chiefgrooveguru

“The KSL I can also ride with a down jacket on. No chance on the 916.”

That’s an interesting point. I would melt in a down jacket when riding my Levo – I wear the exact same clothes as on my normal bike. I guess that shows how much of it is down to how the rider chooses to use an ebike. It’s not about the bike!

Just done a ride today on the 916 I did on the KSL in Thursday night…same distance and elevation.

On Thursday it was a group of proper bikes and mopeds. I didn’t want to be that dick just blasting off ahead, so hung back and still had fun.

Today was all proper bikes, and it was much harder work. Higher max and average heart rate (both 20 bpm higher) more calories used, but nearly the same riding time.

The KSL is great for powering through mud, especially when there’s hills, and riding from the door it’s great for getting back up to the top of the hill where I live, but the 916 is a better bike (I’d love it with an SL or TQ motor and lightweight battery). The KSL I can also ride with a down jacket on. No chance on the 916.

However, if it’d been a group of SL bikes or probably would’ve been a harder ride, and if it’d been a mix of SL and full power, I wonder how much the turns would’ve tabled

For group rides on a mix of bikes is where I think I could probably make use of an SL rather than my full fat, both for the relative effort that needs to be used and for the gates and stiles

The effort put in on my ebike always goes well up when I’m on my own, or with just other ebikes.

Either way, I still blummin sweat and wouldn’t go as far as a down jacket, but can generally get away with an extra layer over the leg powered guys

singlespeedstu

The KSL is great for powering through mud, especially when there’s hills, and riding from the door it’s great for getting back up to the top of the hill where I live, but the 916 is a better bike (I’d love it with an SL or TQ motor and lightweight battery). The KSL I can also ride with a down jacket on. No chance on the 916.

However, if it’d been a group of SL bikes or probably would’ve been a harder ride, and if it’d been a mix of SL and full power, I wonder how much the turns would’ve tabled.

Not sure what any of that means . Just sounds like a small dick trying to swinging in the wind to me.
    You could have summed it up by saying you went for two rides on different bikes with different people.🤷‍♂️

beanieripper
    Free Member

depends what you think your giving up surely? You are clearly giving up unassisted cycling under your own steam and taking up electric motor cycling…lets not confuse the two..

singlespeedstu

electric motor cycling

This
    https://starkfuture.com/products/stark-varg
    Is not the same as this.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules#:~:text=Its%20electric%20motor%3A,travelling%20more%20than%2015.5mph

One you have to pedal quite hard to make go really fast off road.
    The other you need to be really fit to ride or it’ll try and kill you at every opportunity.
    Hope that helps.

beanieripper
    Free Member

Thanks for the help..but i went to the gym today…all the big guys were doing analogue bench press….no eweights in sight

singlespeedstu

Yep that’s totally relevant.

beanieripper
    Free Member

cheers 12speedstu

Thanks for the help..but i went to the gym today…all the big guys were doing analogue bench press….no eweights in sight

I ride a pedal bike

I ride an ebike

Lucky me, I have options

singlespeedstu

all the big guys were doing analogue bench press

One for your wankbank?

beanieripper
    Free Member

i have 3 self propelled bikes and 1 electric bike so me too. choice is a great thing but they are not the same…disclaimer…..i couldnt pedal enough to power our electricity bills today.

singlespeedstu

i have 3 self propelled bikes and 1 electric bike

Only three?
    You really should try harder.😘

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.