Home Forums Bike Forum Is ebiking “giving in/up”?

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 727 total)
  • Is ebiking “giving in/up”?
  • rickmeister

Bruce, over here in a land with brands the UK doesn’t usually get, we have Pinion e-bikes. Rottwild, Bulls and Simplon are starting them with belt drive etc etc

13thfloormonk

so in your analogy; push bikes are cigarettes? I mean, it;s snappy I’ll give you that, but its bollocks.

I think in that analogy it’s cars that are cigarettes, after all, we’re all supposed to be rallying around picking up the kids and doing the shopping in e-cargo bikes by now

Which I guess makes all the e-bikers doing laps of trail centres more like the kids who’ve never touched a cigarette in their life, hanging around outside the school gates puffing away on fruit flavoured vapes? 😂

jameso

I was pretty anti ebikes having ridden mtbs for 25 years or so and completed lots of endurance events. Just train more, if you want it easier, is what I thought.

Then I tried one and …

Not picking on the poster of this comment here .. just saying it’s common to hear or read – “I hated e-bikes then I tried one and loved it”. What an e-bike offers threatens the identity of riders but they’re fun and that’s what we’re here for.

And that’s why I think it’s not giving up for most, it’s just the (or, ‘a’) way MTB is going now the option is there.

Bruce

Thanks @rickmeister.

nickc

What an e-bike offers threatens the identity of riders

Agree with that. Some folks have made peace with the adult they’ve become, and why they choose to cycle and those folks don’t care what others do. But eMTB really does challenge what people do “for fun”, and some folks have yet to have that conversation with themselves.

ditch_jockey

On the fire risk, this article from London Fire Brigade points the finger at sketchy conversion kits being the main issue. Having seen some of the bodge job e-bikes doing the rounds in Glasgow for Just Eat couriers and the like, it’s probably not surprising.
    E-bike battery fires

joelowden

Had my Trek exe for 3 weeks now and , for me , it’s a game changer. Had lower back problems for decade’s which meant 2-3 hours riding on my non-assist bike would be render me knackered for a couple of days. The moments when a stall on a tech uphill would also knacker me no longer occur. I now positively look forward to getting out on my bike more frequently and for longer. Entering my sixth decade has suddenly become much nicer.

Plus I now cycle to the woods instead of taking the car.

LAT

What an e-bike offers threatens the identity of riders but they’re fun and that’s what we’re here for.

for a lot of cyclists a degree of suffering is part of the activity. if you take away part of the activity you also take away part of their identity, or at least you take away part of what makes up their hobby. 

a friend of mine has an e mtb . he thinks it’s great fun but he also thinks that it is not cycling. 

chiefgrooveguru

“ for a lot of cyclists a degree of suffering is part of the activity”

A nice thing about ebikes is that you can often choose when to suffer or not – I’ve had quite a lot of satisfyingly painful moments either going up something very steep with the power on or trying to keep up with others on normal bikes whilst I’m pedalling an ebike with the motor off.

tjagain

for a lot of cyclists a degree of suffering is part of the activity

Surely thats a roadie thing? ;-)

LAT

Surely thats a roadie thing? 😉

e-bikes are one thing, but there is a limit to my patience!

A nice thing about ebikes is that you can often choose when to suffer or not

i guess it’s a perception thing. they don’t appear to be suffering when they blast past on a climb having a chat (with each other, never with me) dressed in warm clothes on a mild day.

massive generalization alert: the odd thing about e-bikers in my area is that they never acknowledge me on a climb. other bike riders, whether  faster or slower tend to fall into step for a little chat. though, if you’ve bought an ebike to get in as many runs as possible, why would you talk to people who’ll only slow you down.

copa
    Free Member

for a lot of cyclists a degree of suffering is part of the activity. if you take away part of the activity you also take away part of their identity, or at least you take away part of what makes up their hobby.

It can be applied to other things as well, like supporting a lower-league football club.
    For many, following a club that’s a bit rubbish and often struggles is a part of the overall experience.
    You could reduce/eliminate that by switching to support a Man City but, in doing so, you would lose something.

Or in the words of New Order:

In the end you will submit
    It’s got to hurt a little bit

doomanic

massive generalization alert: the odd thing about e-bikers in my area is that they never acknowledge me on a climb.

That is odd. I say hello at the very least and always thank them for making room if I’m going faster. A few years ago there’d be quite a few disparaging remarks as I passed but over time that’s dropped off to pretty much zero with banter about tow ropes and milk floats being the norm these days. There’s far more people on the internet bitching about eBikes than out in the real world where we’re all just out in the woods enjoying ourselves.

LAT

That is odd

it is odd. if they do talk they make excuses for having an ebike.
    there are some very fast and fit local people who use ebike for shuttling, too.

For many, following a club that’s a bit rubbish and often struggles is a part of the overall experience.You could reduce/eliminate that by switching to support a Man City but, in doing so, you would lose something.

this is fantastic! a late entry for analogy of the year, but you’re in with a good shot for the top prize

chiefgrooveguru

“it is odd. if they do talk they make excuses for having an ebike.”

If I’m on my ebike I tend to apologise for being on my cheating bike and carry on past at ebike speed. I don’t like riding alongside a non-ebiker uphill when I’m using the motor because it feels like I’m being one of those annoying people taking the lazy way. If I do ride alongside someone I know to chat who’s on a normal bike I tend to turn the power off so I’m suffering at least as much as they are.

Some years back we had a chap who ran an ebike shop come out on a group XC ride. It was very annoying having him saying “come on Dad” to me (I think it was my first time out after our second child arrived), as I was struggling uphill with a problematic knee that was hurting a lot whilst he was letting his ebike do all the work (also he was almost old enough to be my Dad!) I’d hate to be that person.

I guess another issue is that I’ve been on the internet long enough to know that quite a lot of MTBers have a problem with e-bikes and if I’m out having a nice ride on mine, I don’t want it to be spoilt by an interaction with someone who has a problem with me because of my bike.

Conversely if I’m on my singlespeed hardtail I know that I get bonus points uphill for the lack of gears and bonus points downhill for the lack of rear suspension so I’m unlikely to suffer a negative interaction with another rider.

I was out on my HT the other week grinding up a hill and some walkers commented that it was nice to see someone without a motor.

I never seem to get adverse comment when I am on the ebike though, but then I tend not to go blatting past other riders

bikerevivesheffield

The biggest question here I suppose that’s not been tackled afaik “does it actually matter?”

mc
    Free Member

massive generalization alert: 

It’s definitely noticeable. I was out with a group of mates earlier this year, and we had just had a discussion about how eBikers will often just barge past without so much as a warning. As if timed perfectly, one came up behind us, didn’t mutter a single word, cut on to the grass to pass, and there was just a crunch followed by him coming to an abrupt halt. Going by the crunch, we reckon a stray branch had removed his derailleur.

LAT

if I’m out having a nice ride on mine, I don’t want it to be spoilt by an interaction with someone who has a problem with me because of my bike.

probably why roadies don’t acknowledge other cyclists, they know they are despised 😜

joking aside, you  make a good point.  point.

The biggest question here I suppose that’s not been tackled afaik “does it actually matter?”

ebikes are harder on the trails than a bike, damage to the surface of a trail is obvious when an ebike blasts past.

there is also the situation where the  some riders of e-bikes access places that their ability on a normal bike would prevent them from accessing, then they slide down the hill with their rear wheel locked the entire way creating further damage. just because your bike can take you to the top of a mountain, it doesn’t mean you’ll be able to ride down it

does that actually matter? not really, i suppose.

monkeyboyjc

It’s definitely noticeable. I was out with a group of mates earlier this year, and we had just had a discussion about how eBikers will often just barge past without so much as a warning.

I’ve a mate who’s relatively new to MTB, I get embarrassed at how he blasts past people without a word and quite often have to apologise as I gently meander past after.

funkmasterp

I’d guess that how sociable you are has nothing to do with what bike you ride. I chat to everyone and everything when I’m out. I don’t think that would change if I had an eBike. I’d just have a bigger gut, lose my ability to lift things above chest height and be less fit 😉 probably take up vaping and littering too.

ditch_jockey

couchy
    Free Member

Had an ebike 6 years and I’m the lightest and fittest I’ve been in years, the extra speed for effort is a great reward and encourages me to put more effort in. If I wasn’t getting speed as my reward I wouldn’t bother as I’ve no interest in grinding up hills slowly. I’m lighter and as fit as many people I know on normal bikes. Who gives a shit what others think. The only ones that have issues are miserable old cyclists who have spent years being miserable grinding up hills and expect everyone to have to do the same. Sod that gimme speed as my reward for effort 😃

funkmasterp

Yeah, but you’re not putting in as much effort so 🤪 also the number of posters on here who whine about components being too heavy and then you claim a veritable lead weight makes you faster. I reckon you’re fat in real life like every weekend warrior 😉

faz71

I’ve a mate who’s relatively new to MTB, I get embarrassed at how he blasts past people without a word and quite often have to apologise as I gently meander past after

You weren’t at Hamsterley a couple of weeks back were you? Some d#@k tried to force his way past (elbows touching) on some singletrack, shortly after his two mates came by and said ‘ignore him he’s a p£#@k’.
    Now obviously, a d#@k is a d#@k irrespective of the bike they ride but there does seem to be a lot of riders new to the sport who lack trail etiquette (basic manners?) and who’s only experience of MTBs are ebikes which I think amplifies this and winds people up.

montgomery
    Free Member

Always worth a repost.

flicker
    Free Member

Yeah, but who’s got the biggest smile?

dyna-ti

Always worth a repost.

Drinking bottled beer makes you really fat ?

jameso

What an e-bike offers threatens the identity of riders but they’re fun and that’s what we’re here for.

I should have said ‘some riders’ .. but anyway.

for a lot of cyclists a degree of suffering is part of the activity.

It can be, though imho suffering is some term Rapha came up with. It’s exertion and it can feel good, but riding is different things to different people.

kerley
    Free Member

I’d guess that how sociable you are has nothing to do with what bike you ride.

Why would it. I am totally unsociable, it is due to autism but to people who don’t know that (everybody I come across when riding) they will just think I’m rude. At 55 years old I am more than used to it but be good if other people would at least try to understand that not everyone is the same.

Pretty much the same as discussion here, people want to ride different bikes, just accept it. I don’t say people have “given up” by using gears, brakes, grippy tyres, suspension etc,. just because I don’t, but why would I.

BadlyWiredDog

On reflection, just no :-)

monkeyboyjc

You weren’t at Hamsterley

Nope, D*cks are everywhere and ride all different types of bikes🤷‍♂️

doomanic

It’s exertion and it can feel good,

It is and it does.

Now, this will clearly come as a surprise to some posters on this thread, but it’s actually possible to exert yourself on an eBike. I’m not saying every eBiker works hard, but some do and enjoy it.

johnjn2000

I will admit I haven’t read all of the 12 pages so this may have come up already. First, just to ensure being on topic, just ride what the hell makes you smile most before, during, and after your ride. Secondly, is anyone else in the psotion where you love the idea of an eBike but cannot bring yourself to spend 1000’s on something that looks minging?

I know looks are personal, and certainly my AM9 will have some thinking it is ugly, but at the moment I would rather spend £100’s on adding bling to my 18Bikes No9 HT, than 7k on an ugly eBike (IMHO) 

For me an eBike is a tool like a hammer, and a normal bike is a thing of beauty that you look after and give a cuddle after a ride. Is it just me?

anderzz
    Free Member

I recently bought a Levo and the two rides I’ve had on it have been completely different to what I’d do on my normal bike. Ive had such a laugh riding the bike through thick mud and slop and up hills purely out of curiosity.

It’s a completely different sport really.

The biggest annoyance for me is lugging the thing about. It’s a real pain in the arse getting it in and out of the car.

I’m not sure I’d say it’s giving up. I’d say it’s actually a good motivator for getting out more.

scotroutes

there is also the situation where the  some riders of e-bikes access places that their ability on a normal bike would prevent them from accessing, then they slide down the hill with their rear wheel locked the entire way creating further damage. just because your bike can take you to the top of a mountain, it doesn’t mean you’ll be able to ride down it

I do have a couple of vaguely similar concern regarding folks taking Ebikes up mountains.

One is that the number doing this increases, increasing erosion in sensitive areas. The other is that we could see folk getting into conditions for which they are otherwise unprepared.

Neither of these concerns are specific to Ebikes of course and I’ve yet to see or hear of an increase in mountain rescue call outs so my concerns may well be completely unjustified.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The only ones that have issues are miserable old cyclists who have spent years being miserable grinding up hills and expect everyone to have to do the same.

You’ve completely missed the point. For a lot of people cycling up hills is not miserable it’s brilliant.
    A few eebers have posted how they love blasting up hills with their motors on, moving through technical terrain and getting to the top dabless. I, like a huge number of neebers, get a similar sense of joy and satisfaction from riding uphills without the motor. Except it’s even more intense and enjoyable.

I think part of the issue, as I said about ten years ago, is that the direction of advancement of bikes over the last decade has made eebs the inevitable conclusion for a lot of people. What I didn’t realise at the time was that it also made gravel bikes an equally likely conclusion for pretty much the same reasons.

I’d be interested to know if there is any intersection between the eebers and the gravelists….

BadlyWiredDog

If I’m on my ebike I tend to apologise for being on my cheating bike and carry on past at ebike speed. I don’t like riding alongside a non-ebiker uphill when I’m using the motor because it feels like I’m being one of those annoying people taking the lazy way. If I do ride alongside someone I know to chat who’s on a normal bike I tend to turn the power off so I’m suffering at least as much as they are.

Genuinely? 

dissonance

Ive had such a laugh riding the bike through thick mud and slop

Which would give me concerns about erosion and long term trail damage.

BadlyWiredDog

I’d be interested to know if there is any intersection between the eebers and the gravelists….

A mate of mine who rides with a load of varied people said, a year or so back, that he’d noticed quite a few of them now ride e-mtbs exclusively off-road and use a gravel bike to maintain fitness. I can see how that appeals, though I wouldn’t do it myself.

It’s easy to forget that in physiological terms, mountain biking is actually really hard compared to road or gravel riding in the sense that you’re always dealing with more weight, more rolling resistance and, often, the need to make a series of repeated hard efforts, just to keep moving.  Post long covid it took me far longer to feel relatively ‘normal’ on a mountain bike than it did on road or gravel one, I think because even what you might call ‘entry level’ effort – how hard you have to work just to be riding – is significantly higher – or you’re really, really slow I guess.

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 727 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.