Home Forums Bike Forum Is £100 for a Freehub too much. Halo Wheels

• This topic has 12 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by SirHC.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is £100 for a Freehub too much. Halo Wheels
  • mrmrhill
    Free Member

I think so. Maybe I’m a tight Yorkshire man who needs to except the modern cost of things. Or Halo Wheels are priced well above market value. It’s replacing one that wore out extremely quickly and apparently the new one is a better design which makes me think the original was bobbins and there lining there pockets off poor design

monkeyboyjc

The fragile 3pawl aluminium Tune ones for my road and xc bikes are £180 at RRP….

Hopes are £80 a pop, £100 doesn’t sound too bad…

dovebiker

Halo hubs are/were rebranded Novatec

joebristol

When you say it wore out what actually wore out? Most freehubs you can change the bearings / pawls / pawl springs etc and they’re good as new. I re did my Hope hub and freehub bearings last year and also cleaned up the pawls and put in new pawl springs and it made the world of difference.

zbonty

Not cheap is it!
    Just today I ordered a new Deore hub for my commuter-it was less than a fiver more for a complete hub to get the new freehub which I need

hatter

£230 for Industry Nine Hydra

Chris King info is hard to find but it seenms to be North of that.

matt_outandabout

Could be worse.
    It could be a RaceFace.
    It ate the pawls in three months. No pawls available unless part of a new freehub. At £85.
    Sucked that up and guess what three months later…
    RaceFace emailed back basically saying ‘tough titties, that’s how long freehubs and pawls last’.
    We replaced with a Hope. Which is on original pawls two year’s later…

honourablegeorge

Hydra is at keast a unique and complex design, has to be very precisely machined. Can see why it would be more expensive than most.

100 for Halo sounds a bit much if they’re still Novatec

tomhoward

*Laughs in Chris King*

scotroutes

I bought a replacement DT Swiss freehub for £50 a couple of weeks ago. That was a steel one to avoid the cheese one being cut up by cassettes.

Looking online, I see Halo freehubs for similar money – though there’s also a “Supadrive” version for £100?

jameso

The Halo hub I have isn’t. Some might be though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Maybe some of them, but the Supadrive ones are rebranded Chosen hubs.

SirHC

Stans ones were 100ish, they were made of toffee, along with the axles/bending snapping. Won’t touch a stans hub again, absolute junk. Hope or DT for me.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.