Home Forums Chat Forum iPhone – how to set contacts to ring on silent?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • iPhone – how to set contacts to ring on silent?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I am sure I used to have a function on my iPhone that allowed you to have your phone on night mode (not receive calls etc), yet still allow certain contacts to ring you.

Example my Dad was taken ill last night. My Mum tried to ring me, obviously as the phone was on silent I didn’t hear it.

Does iPhone still have this functionality?

Thanks

jam-bo

Do not disturb. Allow calls from favorites

jamj1974

^^ As above. You can also allow calls from specified people and give them an individual vibrate rhythm.

regenesis
    Free Member

Don’t put it in silent.
    Do not disturb as above.
    Silent blocks everything

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok thanks.

My phone is on silent 99% of the time. Mainly because I can’t be bothered switching it on and off at work.

Just checked and if the phone is on silent the do not disturb function doesn’t work.

The only way I can allow phone calls is to allow Emergency by pass on the numbers, so then my parents could ring me in an important meeting during the day.

Doesn’t look an easy solution apart from me starting to remember to flick silent mode on and off… unless you can set a rule based on location (turn do not disturb on at work etc?)

Edit – just noted you can use DND by location, although it doesn’t state the location size. Where I work it’s prob 500m sq site!

regenesis
    Free Member

Don’t put it on silent.
    Use do not disturb during working hours.
    Add parents, etc to favourites and then they can call.
    You’re making it hard for no reason by not reading what been suggested

nickdavies

The only way I can allow phone calls is to allow Emergency by pass on the numbers, so then my parents could ring me in an important meeting during the day.

You’ve answered your own question.
    Just go to the contact, ringtone, then activate emergency bypass. That will override the silent switch, you don’t need to faff with dnd then.

b33k34

There is also a ‘repeated calls’ setting which gives another way of overriding do not disturb.

ChrisHeath

Just checked and if the phone is on silent the do not disturb function doesn’t work.

I’ve just checked, and yes it does. At least it does in that it vibrates as I usually have it set when set to silent (i.e. all of the time). This is with DND on, and from a number in my favourites.

spooky_b329

b33 touched on it, I think there is a setting where if someone calls you twice in quick succession it will ring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘iPhone – how to set contacts to ring on silent?’ is closed to new replies.