Home Forums Chat Forum Internet speed issues x2

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Internet speed issues x2
  • escrs
    Free Member

So im having some issues with my internet speed

First issue is that if i use https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/ to show me what speed my router is getting it shows the router is getting 270mbps coming in but my laptop only recieves 120mbps over wifi (no Lan port on laptop)

Now if i do the same as above but using my phone connected to the router’s wifi i get the 270mbs so for some reason my laptop is losing over half the speed over the router’s wifi

Next up is i also have a TP-Link Deco  M4 mesh system, the main unit is connected to the router with a cat5 cable but the best speed i can get is 80mbps, thats with the laptop and the phone both the same

It does seem strange that the laptop and phone match speeds over the mesh system but not when connected to the router over wifi

Im sat just over a metre from the router when doing this with a clear line of sight so no obvious interferance

Ive checked everything on the laptop and the mesh system is up to date and ive run dianostics with no issues found, ive tried with the mesh system disabled but that made no difference so its got me stumped

jim25

Isn’t there max wifi rate for mesh systems  no matter how much it receives?

jeffl

So two causes here.

1. I expect your laptop has a slower standard of WiFi chipset than your phone, e.g. WiFi 4 Vs WiFi 6. This is assuming they’re connecting to the same WiFi network from the same room/location. Does the network support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? Check which one the laptop is connecting to. Some routers split them out with different SSID names, some have them with the same name.

2. I had a tenda mesh system. It maxed out at 100mb as the ethernet port used to connect to the modem/router had a max speed of 100mb. So even though my internet and routers getting 250mb the mesh was capped at 100mb. Also it can be a setting on devices so login to the web interface on the mesh system and the modem/router to check the WAN port is set to 1 GB rather than 100 mb.

jeffl

Oh also check that your ethernet cable is gigabit and not just 100mb.

spooky_b329

Speed checkers are only relevant for diagnosing problems or checking that your router is getting the speed expected.  It doesn’t appear that you have a problem except for the technical limitations of your WiFi enabled devices.

I can’t imagine 80mbps at the laptop is going to affect usability. That’s more than enough for multiple devices streaming UHD video and gaming at the same time.

If for some reason it does matter, for example a content creator with regular massive file uploads or reducing ping time for shooting pixel baddies, you should invest in a PC or laptop with an Ethernet port.

You can also get USBC dongles to allow Ethernet connections.

frogstomp

Check what your Total Bandwidth setting is on the Deco app – it’s under the More->QoS section.

escrs
    Free Member

1. I expect your laptop has a slower standard of WiFi chipset than your phone, e.g. WiFi 4 Vs WiFi 6. This is assuming they’re connecting to the same WiFi network from the same room/location. Does the network support 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz? Check which one the laptop is connecting to. Some routers split them out with different SSID names, some have them with the same name.

Laptop is WiFi 5 and is using the 5ghz band, the phone is WiFi6

Yes they are connected to the same wifi network from the same room and im doing it sat in the same location

Network supports 2.4 and 5GHz and laptop is connected to 5GHz

2. I had a tenda mesh system. It maxed out at 100mb as the ethernet port used to connect to the modem/router had a max speed of 100mb. So even though my internet and routers getting 250mb the mesh was capped at 100mb. Also it can be a setting on devices so login to the web interface on the mesh system and the modem/router to check the WAN port is set to 1 GB rather than 100 mb.

So ive already set the wan port on the mesh system to 1GB and it made no difference

Oh also check that your ethernet cable is gigabit and not just 100mb.

Cable is a Gigabit cable, came brand new from one of the I.T guys at my old job, he gave me two, tried the other one in case mine was dodgy, no change in speed

Check what your Total Bandwidth setting is on the Deco app – it’s under the More->QoS section.

Total bandwidth is set to 1000mbps down and 1000 mbps up

TP-Link say the Deco is capable of 1167mbps so not sure why i can only get 80mbps on 270mbps connection

escrs
    Free Member

So the mesh system is now fixed and im getting 270mbps speeds over the mesh system to my phone

It seems the main Deco mesh unit which is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable and has 2 ethernet ports on the rear has a dodgy port, swapped the cable over into the 2nd port and all is good!

Now just need to work out why im not getting full speed with the laptop

escrs
    Free Member

Laptop is also now fixed!

Windows update was saying i had no driver updates for the wifi adaptor, checked the laptop’s manufactuer’s assistant program and again no update showing for the wifi adaptor

Went to the manufactuer’s website, manually searched for my laptop and in the update section i found a newer version of the driver for my wifi adapator, manually installed it and im now getting full speeds, not sure why windows and the assisant program couldnt detect the new driver but its all sorted now

Cheers

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Also, when checking speed on a PC/Laptop, use an app such as ‘Speedtest’ rather than a browser, as the browser is likely to throttle the rate. Especially if it’s Firefox.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.