Home Forums Chat Forum Internal Transfer And Manager Issues

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Internal Transfer And Manager Issues
    reluctantrider
    Free Member

I wonder if anybody has any experience and / or advice please.

I have been successful in my application to move to a different department of the same global company that I work for. It’s a better paid job with  higher salary and is largely recognised as being a progression in my career.

My start date in the new role has been requested by the hiring manger to be early to mid January 2024 but my current manager is refusing to allow me to transfer until the end of January 2024 “at the earliest”.

My current manager is devastated that I’m leaving to take up my new role and has openly stated that he “won’t make it easy for me to go”.

I’m worried that my transfer will fall through because I’m not being allowed to move as soon as I and my new manager would have liked.

Any thoughts, experiences and advice would be greatly appreciated.

chakaping

My first move would be to email HR and ask for their help to resolve. They may be able to knock some heads together.

It’s unlikely to scupper your move anyway. You’ll still probably be available more quickly than an external candidate.

mrsheen
    Free Member

I’m sure what the company wants overrules what your manager wants. I wouldn’t worry especially as you’ve done nothing wrong other than make your manager realise what he or she is losing.

IHN

First off, get hiring manager to talk to existing manager.

Second off, if necessary escalate to existing manager’s manager and/or HR

Did existing manager know you were applying for the new role?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I had a client account manager who tried to refuse to let me leave his account to go to another client. Similar to your situation that, in effect, it was an internal transfer from one manager to the next.

I followed process and he did all he could to block me.
    I requested any reason, objection or explanation. He refused.
    I asked for a face to face meeting to discuss this he accepted, delayed, rescheduled, declined etc for about 4 weeks.
    I asked the new client manager to talk to him and the new manager came back to me saying the other guy was a **** but there was little he could do.
    I went to HR and it was resolved with a swap in 4 weeks.

These guys rely on bullying and intimidation and no-one trying to face them down. Bring in HR and they suddenly lose all their tools and the company process operates as normal. What should have been 4 weeks for me was nearer 10 because of those initial delays but the new manager understood and there was no issue going forward, even with the old manager who suddenly started treating me like his long lost brother.

reluctantrider
    Free Member

Thank you.

HR have said it’s for the current and recruiting managers to sort out. Our. or I should say ‘current’ HR are useless. Even though its the same company, my new role will be covered by a different HR department.

Yes, my current manager was very aware that I was very unhappy in my current role and has almost daily, since I was granted my new position last week, tried to talk me out of it.

I’m trying to get hold of my manager but she is not located in the UK , as I am. My new role is in Spain and I am so vert excited. I’m maybe panicking too early but this is my dream move….

Thank you all, again.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

I’ve been in a similar situation. I was offered and accepted a more senior role within the same organisation in September. I finally start new role on Monday. Current boss did not want me to leave his dept. It took me getting HR involved as there was a financial implication for me the longer it dragged on. Finally, we agreed the list of tasks I had to complete and once done, I move.

DT78
    Free Member

last time something similar to this happened to me I just started getting on with my new job and stopped dealing with the old manager who was trying to be a pain in the butt.  At the end of the day it just makes them look a bit stupid trying to block your move

reluctantrider
    Free Member

Thank you all.

I’ve just had a ping on my personal email from my new manager . All good and very reassuring, as indeed you guys have been.

I’m going to become a paid member here. The forum alone is worth every penny (soon to be Euro).

Chew
    Free Member

Whats your notice period if you were to leave the company?

That would be a reasonable timeframe for your existing manager to keep your current role.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Have you watched Fight Club?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Whats your notice period if you were to leave the company?

That would be a reasonable timeframe for your existing manager to keep your current role.

Always been my go to as a maximum when dealing with this from either hiring or releasing staff but ideally sooner as it just makes for unhappy people all round if you drag it out.

mert
    Free Member

We actually have rules in our place for internal transfer and internal promotion.
    Longest it’s allowed to take in the event of a transfer is 3 months, unless signed off by both managers, and both directors (have to go to business unit level) then it’s 6. You get paid the new wage from when it’s signed off as well.

If it’s a promotion, it’s 4 weeks. And they can request up to 20% support in the old role for up to 6 months to “smooth the transition”.
    And that’s 100% down to your new manager agreeing or not. Nowt to do with you, at all.

So all the bitching and whining happens at the next level up.

There are other rules if you get high enough up the company.

devash
    Free Member

@reluctantrider Congrats on the move. Where in Spain will you be based?

reluctantrider
    Free Member

Thank you very much. I’m really excited.

The Spanish office is in Madrid.

FuzzyWuzzy

I work for a global company to and on the surface they have a process (and encourage) people to move roles and even countries but everyone I know that’s tried it (unless it’s within the same business unit in the same country) end up frustrated with their current manager(s) dragging their feet and HR being useless. I think it took one person nearly 18 months to finally transfer (after he threatened to quit), everyone else has either just given up or left the company (which just shows how stupid some managers can be trying to put blockers on it). I fancied a stint in our Hawaiian office 🙁

Kryton57

DT78Free Memberlast time something similar to this happened to me I just started getting on with my new job and stopped dealing with the old manager who was trying to be a pain in the butt.  At the end of the day it just makes them look a bit stupid trying to block your move

+1.  You’ll never succeed in Sales my manager said in 2013.   I’m still trying though 😀

mogrim

The Spanish office is in Madrid.

Where in Madrid? And welcome 🙂

devash
    Free Member

Also Madrid-based. Drop me a message any time if you need any help / info.

intheborders
    Free Member

It’s the difference of a fortnight – chill.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.