Home Forums Bike Forum Insurance. Pedalcover alternatives?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • Insurance. Pedalcover alternatives?
  • sharkattack

It’s that crushingly boring time of year again. House and contents insurance required.

We’re currently with Pedalcover. It cost £400 last year and the best they can do this year is £500. They said they have a new underwriter which has caused across the board price rises. All that’s changed on our end is that we have one less bike.

Is anyone else worth a look? I’ve only got a Geometron and a Transition PBJ but I can’t afford to lose either of them. The garage is a part of the house and there’s nothing especially expensive inside the house so no special requirements other than bulletproof bike protection.

a11y

Our renewal’s due soon too and I just completed their online form which asked me (for the first time ever I think) to name and list all our bikes plus a replacement value, ahead of them generating our renewal quote. Putting two and two together, I guess this requirement’s because of this new underwriter. Doesn’t fill me with confidence that the renewal’s going to come in competitive this year.

Can’t say I’ll be surprised if insurance for bikes in general has increased over the past 12 months given the frequency of thefts I hear about.

chakaping

And the rising cost of replacing the sodding things, if you can even find any in stock.

Did they say who they’ve moved to? It was Axa before I believe.

Tracey

Ours has also gone up this year for the first time since we left M and S to go with them due to change of underwriter. Ours is now underwritten by LV, previous was by Alianz

MartynS

I just used a price comparison site, listed the bikes with values, and cover away from home. I think it was aviva that I went with. John Lewis was previously good but after a couple of years with them the price went through the roof!!

Edit
    Esure not aviva!

monkeyboyjc

Bikmo
    Seem to be pretty good at claims from what I’ve heard, easy to cover and increase / decrease value of bikes online. You can insure accessories as well as bikes and cover you for all aspects of riding. 5% off following the below link.

https://bikmo.com?ref=YteipMx

alanf
    Free Member

I went with Halifax last year as pedalcover premium was getting silly.
    I saved about £300 over the year.

matt_outandabout

Aviva – better cover in some ways than Pedalsure, I have just upped bike limit to £4k per bike an it added nothing to the cost.
    We do pay £400+, but that includes all 8 bikes and £10k gear away from home.

a11y

Ouch. Just tried a Bikmo quote and more than twice my current entire home/contents/bikes Pedalcover policy. Sums up what I’ve generally found in the past with bike-only insurers.

nealglover
    Free Member

https://www.barclays.co.uk/insurance/home-insurance/

can do bike only cover, and up to £5k/ bike (you just tell the the value of the most expensive one)

fazzini

Another Halifax-er here as I can specify the value of the most expensive bikes with make and model and they are covered to that value; any bike under £500 in value is covered on a blanket cover basis…thats none of my bikes (please don’t tell Mrs Fazzini), neither of Fazzini-jnr or Fazzini-jnr-jnr’s bikes, and only one that is under that value.

oldtennisshoes

I went with Halifax last year as pedalcover premium was getting silly.
    I saved about £300 over the year.

This 👆

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just had a claim through pedal cover/axa for water damage from a frozen water main.

Woeful.

It took me losing my shit for them to even register the claim.

Knocking back the agreed settlement (by the man on the ground)cost as they decided (in their office)that the materials I’d used to build my house were too expensive for what they were……

Still waiting on a final settlement declaration so I can claim my excess back.

Ended up doing the work myself and claiming cash after they decided that 3 weeks was an acceptable time to be without running water with a 2 year old.

Axa are added to admiral on my list of absolutely hopeless insurance companies

IHN

I just used a price comparison site, listed the bikes with values, and cover away from home.

This, and have done so for the past few years (MoenySupermarket I think, and it saves all the details so you don’t have to plug them all in every year). Also ended up with ESure.

sam_underhill

M&S if have an expensive array of bikes to cover. Way cheaper than than separate bike cover and the away from home cover just requires the most expensive bike to be declared and they are all covered up that max value. No need to provide an inventory or worry about custom builds changing over time. They aren’t the cheapest home insurance but factoring in the options to cover all the bikes I think they are pretty good value. And cheaper for me after pedalcover got silly.

benbrownuk

We were with Pedal cover for quite a few years and changed due to new underwriter and listing bikes separately and reduction in the cover too (can’t remember specifics, but not new for old, and worse for older bikes, which a lot of ours are). Saved a good few £100s and got much better overall coverage now with Aviva found through a comparison site. Just followed moneysavingexpert and did the first one or two comparison site checks. At least I already had the list of bikes and values prepared for the renewal with pedalcover – getting this sorted was one of the reasons I put off looking at other options in previous years as wasn’t needed with pedalcover!

thepurist

Aviva plus after pedalcover couldn’t offer us a renewal after a break in (handled well by AXA). Our renewal came through recently and had jumped by about 2 quid so we just let it roll on.

MoreCashThanDash

Ensure or Aviva have been painless and cheaper for bikes added as specified cycles the last couple of years.

Avivas claims service was excellent

nixie

I’ve never been sure but presumably the value of the bikes should be what it cost you not the RRP of all the bits. Then if you’ve got new for old cover and the new prices are more it should not matter.

teethgrinder

Barclays.
    Upto £5k cover on most expensive bike, no upper limit, accidental damage, cheap.

nparker

Bad experience with Pedalcover here too. Great the first year, terrible on renewal. Went with Barclays last year – really good bike coverage as others have said. Renewal was up this year but still better than most of the others when I did a comparison.

rando29
    Free Member

Been with Pedalcover for several years but this year the renewal price went up by £100 so looked around and ended up going with Saga. Much cheaper than Pedalcover with same cover.
    Why would anyone one in their right minds go with Bikmo !! Just got a quote for my 2 bikes and cost was more per year than complete house / building insurance with bikes.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Just changed from Pedalcover as their new underwriter decided my house was now in a flood risk area even though none of the other companies have. Went to M&S as they covered everything I needed and were almost half the price………….

sharkattack

Thanks for the tips everyone. I’ve passed it on to the boss who will hopefully take over while I’m stuck at work.

eskay

I have been with pedalcover for about 5 yrs now. My premium went up about£100 on renewal this year. I ended up renewing, I received an email from them a few weeks later to say they had cocked up and quoted for contents only. They agreed to give me full cover because it was their mistake but I dread to think what the price would have been if they had got the quote correct!!

Will probably and up moving next year.

blakec
    Free Member

Do M&S cover bikes locked to a car or inside a car? That was one of the main reasons I went with pedalcover as many other insurers wouldn’t cover bikes if they were inside a vehicle or locked on to a car.

colp

I was paying Halifax over £1k year house insurance with 2 bikes specified (2k and 3k value)
    Switched to Aviva for around £500 year with no limit on number of bikes and maximum single value of £5k

njee20
    Free Member

Ended up with Hastings Premier (or whatever their ‘premium’ product is called), after Pedalcover’s renewal skyrocketed, combined with the introduction of the discounted payouts for bikes over 5 years old. I only really had one which was really worthwhile. Shame, liked their ethos, but it seems much like M&S 10 years ago the underwriter soon realised that being the insurer of choice for people with lots of expensive bikes is not lucrative!

squirrelking
    Free Member

Been with Aviva since M&S were the place to be (well, up until they weren’t). Pedalcover came back a few quid more expensive until I realise they hadn’t included building cover, turned out they were twice as expensive.

bikesandboots

Bikmo
    Seem to be pretty good at claims from what I’ve heard, easy to cover and increase / decrease value of bikes online. You can insure accessories as well as bikes and cover you for all aspects of riding. 5% off following the below link.

There are 10% off codes easily findable online too. Above poster might miss out on some kind of kickback though.

Do M&S cover bikes locked to a car or inside a car? That was one of the main reasons I went with pedalcover as many other insurers wouldn’t cover bikes if they were inside a vehicle or locked on to a car.

Also interested, or any other alternative that covers this. I know bikmo does.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Like others i had pedalcover for a year 2 years ago then premiums went through the roof.

Went with esure, all bikes declared named and agreed value

When i bought the HB130 the premuim came down as a new one is less than a new nomad was.

Still best value and cover I can find on any comparison site.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Also interested, or any other alternative that covers this.

Almost certain my Aviva cover does.

sharkattack

We ended up going for Halifax. Pretty comprehensive home and contents insurance with bikes at home and away. Maximum value of 5k per bike.

£270 versus £490 from Pedalcover.

I probably couldn’t rebuild my exact bike for 5 grand but I built it at trade anyway so if I’m silly enough to lose it I’ll take it on the chin! I might have to shop around next year if I buy an e-bike. There’s definitely one of those in my future, just not sure how soon.

DezB
    Free Member

Just confused.com it
    same every time this is asked. Bikes go on as specified items if they fall outside the pedal bike value. Site saves all your details so simple t do every year.

name and list all our bikes plus a replacement value

Standard for specified item cover.

jimmy

With Barclays here, the bike cover as said seems to be “limitless” with the most expensive bike covered. Not sure how that would translate in the event of a claim but they’re obvs not a tin pot company. They were cheap, too. Too good to be true??

phil5556

@sharkattack

We ended up going for Halifax.

This afternoon’s job was to sort this, Halifax won.

My renewal with Admiral….. £680 🤣

£320 with Halifax for better cover including an extra bike.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

many other insurers wouldn’t cover bikes if they were inside a vehicle or locked on to a car.

You’d be surprised that most do, I usually change insurer each year and a lot of them do cover it, there might be a nuance but I’ve certainly not found one that won’t cover a bike being locked to an immovable object such as a bike rack locked to a car.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve certainly not found one that won’t cover a bike being locked to an immovable object

Whilst I’m not sure most would cover this it’s not especially unusual (I had a discussion with esure about bikes *in* a car last year at renewal, I didn’t like the answer)

such as a bike rack locked to a car.

Given how easy a bike carrier is to remove I’d certainly want to check if they considered that to be immovable.
    From asking at renewal times, internally in a locked car, seat rails counted with some, others didn’t consider then immovable as you could take the seats out.

All that being said, policies, underwriters, exclusions and inclusions change noticeably year to year.

The big thing is check what’s in your policy when the renewal comes up, just because last week it was covered for someone else is not an indication it is in your policy.

Superficial
    Free Member

eSure were the cheapest for me last July, and just paid out generously without quibble so they get my vote.

Apologies for putting all your premiums up :D

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Any positive or negative gotachs with LV= insurance I need to be weary of?
    As ever, trawling though policy documents has left me more uncertain than when i began!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘Insurance. Pedalcover alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.