Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • In praise of Nukeproof Horizons
  • zezaskar
    Free Member

Well, instead of the usual critical rant or “which one of X should I buy” thread most of us usually post here, it’s time for a credit where credit is due on my part.

July 2018 I got myself a pair of Nukeproof Horizon Sam Hill pedals. For 2 years now, those things have been used around 3 times per week, rain, mud, dust, submerged, 7′ hucks to flat, all with a 200lbs dummy onboard. That’s about 312 rides, about at least 4000 miles under severe conditions.

The only issues I had were about after 1 year of use, some of the pins were falling off and the right end cap unthreaded during a shuttle day which resulted in play and subsequent damage to the bushing. Bushing replaced, thread lock on end cap as per Nukeproof recommendation (should come this way from factory), all pins replaced and now thread locked, been this way until today, zero issues, zero maintenance.

They seem to be durable to a fault, I can’t find any excuses to try those new Burgtec MK5s….

Big shout out to Nukeproof for this product

pickle
    Free Member

Yep agreed, superb pedals.

igm

Excellent – I ordered a pair about 5 hours ago.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Good call then. Wouldn’t mind to try the new trimmed enduro modelo as well.

Big piece of advice tho, apply threadlocker like Loctite 243 to both the pins and end caps from new

igm

Thank you – advice noted

doomanic

I love my Horizons but I have lost loads of pins. Easy enough to replace from the consumables shelf at work though.

Northwind

I’ve had some very posh pedals in the past but now I have horizon comps- the plastic one- on all my bikes. They’re just really really good, and cheap as a bonus.

zezaskar
    Free Member

@doomanic true, hence my Loctite 243 comment. In my experience, the relatively thick M4 pins tend to fall off before then bend, even on rocky terrain, so thread locker keeps things reliable

oikeith

I had these before moving to clipless pedals not so long ago, good pedals with lots of grips, only issue I had was the 8mm nut in the end stripping and the nut being a thread type I couldn’t source from the local hardware stores so had to order an axle kit. Same thing then happened to my riding buddy this year, but again parts are available to order to fix.

I did find it odd as I have done years of BMX and pedal grinds and never had the axle nut strip from riding and some bashes.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Superb pedals, way better than the crap DMR Vault’s they replaced.

mashr

horizon comps- the plastic one- on all my bikes. They’re just really really good, and cheap as a bonus.

Also no longer available! I really like mine, biggest gripe was the 2 outside pins being the plastic ones, mine were shaved down in no time. Just switched to these, seem good after the first ride

muggomagic

I lost patience with DMR Vaults after my last pair lasted all of 2 months before developing the rattle. I contacted upgrade and said I would expect them to last more than 2 months of riding and their response was “it’ll be the bushings and they are a wear and tear item. Here’s a link to the £30 service kit”.
    So when I bought my Ripmo AF in April there was no way I’d be buying another set of vaults. I found a few reviews that said the Horizons were very grippy and way more durable.
    I’ve done 750 miles on them now and they are still perfect. I have lost a couple of pins but there’s no rattle and they’re still solid. My only slight grumble is those pins are like razor blades. Got so many little cuts on the back of my legs from just brushing against them. I shudder to think just how gruesome my first real shinner from them is going to look 😀

zezaskar
    Free Member

My thread, so I guess thread necromancy is allowed.
    Anyway, you know how when you say “this thing never fails” the fails right after? Well, my Horizons aren’t exactly failing, but the bushing on my left one (still the original one) started to develop play.

Now, I can’t find the service kit in stock anywhere, and I’m not excited to spend £20 on bearings, pins and seals I don’t really need, I just want the bushings. Does anyone know the bushings dimensions on these?

sunnrider
    Free Member

Got fed up of expensive pedals turning to crap after 6 months. In a moment of desperation I bought these Aliexpress ones:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000561714982.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dt32Z3H

They’ve survived a hard summer’s riding on rocky terrain and a few DH trails with no issues, I’m 75kg geared up, not really a heavy rider so your mileage may vary, but at €22 ….

Sorry OP, no idea about bushings for the Horizons.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Well, the Horizons didn’t turn into crap 6 months in, quite the opposite actually, so no complaints here.

I’m quite reluctant to pay £20 for a parts kit of which I don’t need 80%, therefore my bushing dimensions question. If I can’t find some standard bushings that fit, I might be tempted to try some different pedals, just to peek on the other side of the fence

oikeith

I think you might be stuck here OP, Id take solace that the kit does both pedals so you can either refresh both pedals to have them good as new, or do the one and now you have a spare for when the other side goes in the future

dcwhite1984
    Free Member

Cant comment on the bushing size, but i have both metal Sam Hill’s on the full suspension and the plastic comp’s on my hardtail, the Sam Hill ones have been strong for 3 years now and no issues at all apart from losing a couple of pins but not enough to worry about having to replace them as of yet.
    I do take them apart once a year to clean and re-grease but great pedal.

The plastic ones havent been as trouble free as the end cap kept coming loose and i lost it mid ride on one occasion, in hindsight i should have loctited from the outset but i have now and no more issues.

Shame it doesnt look like they are available anymore as they are a brilliant pedal.

zezaskar
    Free Member

Well, I went on and disassembled the pedals to investigate.
    My findings:
    – for those interested, the bushings are 10(id)x12(od)X10(length)mm
    – left bushing bore is worn down quite a bit, which explains the play. The right one is a little bi as well, but not as severe
    – both bushing races at the axles are a little ground down, but grease should take care of that.
    – now the sad part, on the right pedal platform, the bushing housing is way overspec and the bushing is on a very loose fit. This only gets worse with use.
    – bearings are still nice, as are the seals

So, while I can now purchase the correct bushings at bearingboys or similar, I reckon the right pedal is living on borrowed time

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘In praise of Nukeproof Horizons’ is closed to new replies.