Home Forums Bike Forum Hunt v WTB wheels – will I notice the difference?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Hunt v WTB wheels – will I notice the difference?
  • rascal
    Free Member

I have WTB STs i29, 29mm wide rims on my Whyte T130rs. Whyte hub on the front and a Hope Pro 4 out the back. They are 27.5 and I run a Rimpact at the back. It’s not a light bike. I’m not light or particularly fit at the mo. The back has had a few hits but still runs true and no issues with the hub (love the sound too!). I’ve heard people say the WTBs are soft and heavy. Would I REALLY notice the difference if I put Hunt Trailwides on? The weight and the pick up on the rear especially…
    Fancied some for a while but couldn’t justify it as Hope are pretty damned good to start with and no issues with the own brand hub TBH.
    Would it be some momentary shiny new stuff feeling but no real difference or a substantial upgrade? Genuinely curious if you’ve done similar…

docgeoffyjones

There are much better options for your money. I nearly brought a set of enduro wides but previous threads on here put me off. I got a set of DT wheels from fitwheels for a similar price.

rascal
    Free Member

There are much better options for your money. I nearly brought a set of enduro wides but previous threads on here put me off. I got a set of DT wheels from fitwheels for a similar price.

I suppose I could get bombproof rims and def keep to Hope…the point being will I notice the better wheels, whatever they end up being? What rims did you go for?

matt_outandabout

I’m running my spare rear wheel at the moment – I broke another spoke last week in my good wheel.

The weight difference of Deore hub + Norco OEM rim compared to the Marin Rim and Formula hub is huge.

I really notice the dulled acceleration and more flexible wheel. Once up to speed and on gentler terrain there’s nothing in it.

jimmy748

Keep your current hubs and have them built with DT EX471 or 511’s.

docgeoffyjones

I went from OEM Formula Hubs on WTB i35s to  DT Swiss EX 511 on 350 hubs.

I’m not sure if there was a weight saving but they feel faster and I can upgrade the freehub at a later date if I want faster pickup.

jedi

Hunt carbons for me. Great wheels

mccraque

I’ve got Trailwides – I switch them (29) and my i35s on hope pro 4’s (plus) on the same bike.

Tbh – I like both. The trailwides are lighter but the wtb are nice and stiff. 2.5k miles on the hunt and 4.5k miles on the wtb.

Neither has skipped a beat. I have put a little ding in the trail wide like a few on here (see hunt thread) but they pick up and engage quickly amd roll beautifully.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

WTBs are softish and heavy, Hunt are soft and light.

I’ve had assorted WTBs on previous bikes. I made the mistake of sticking Trailwides on my new bike. I’m 62kg. Running a 2.4″ 1400g WTB Tough casing rear tyre at 25psi, a Rimpact and I’m STILL getting dents on nearly every ride. Hunt rebuilt the wheel FOC after I put 6 dings in it in the first 2 rides. The Rimpact improved things, but only marginally. They’re just not fit for purpose IMO.

Keep the rear hub, rebuild with a DT rim of your choice, and you can probably ditch the Rimpact too. The EX series will survive armageddon. The XMs are a bit lighter, but not as bombproof. I’ve got an EX471 waiting to replace the Hunt rim when I finally kill it. 30g heavier (I think) than the Hunt, but I’ll ditch the Rimpact and can probably run a lighter tyre too as I puncture rarely.

bails

I did a very similar swap but on an S120 so 29″ rather than 27.5″.

The Hunts were definitely lighter and faster engaging and made the bike feel snappier.

Unfortunately,I was either incredibly unlucky or the rims were far too soft. After over a decade of mountain biking and never doing any more than minor cosmetic damage to rims, I fitted the Hunts and could barely finish a ride without having to fit a tube because a rim dent was stopping it sealing.

Edit
    JonEdwards: I paid for a rebuild the first time. After that I tried to get a refund and it was outside the 60 day return period so they wouldn’t. But instead they sent me a pair of Endurowides to try which were fine, but heavy. That reset the 60 day thing so I was then able to return those and get my money back.

I’ve ordered some Ex511s from fitwheels to replace them. On 350 hubs and with 28 spokes they weigh about the same as the TrailWides.

mashr

There was a very interesting thread on here where several, self-confessed, not fast riders where happy to share how easily they’d bent Hunt Trailwides. The ones STW reviewed were similarly cheese based. Shame, as they were top of my list to replace my Whyte/WTB combo at some point too

uggski

I have the Trailwides on my Occam. MAde a huge difference to how the bike performed. I have put one small ding in the rear when I cased a jump onto a log. I was running a fairly low pressure in the rear. About 24psi. I now run the rear a bit harder at about 28 nd the front 25. Not had any issues since and I am about 87kg. Mostly Epping Forest riding but with a fair few trips to Scotland

mudfish

From what I’ve read you’ll probs ally be disappointed with the Hunt rim longevity. Keep the hubs you have, especially the rear. Hope are good and adaptable too.
    Get a good builder such as DCR wheels in Sussex to build, that’s what makes the BIG difference and they are very good value.
    Of course you’ll also need decent rims, DT 471 rear DT511 front is a good choice. Or maybe the Spank Vibrocore, which do damp the trail a bit and increase grip. But not as much as a Cushcore upfront. I run a Cuschore front only – in my DT 511.

joebristol

I wouldn’t get the hunts-the rims aren’t an upgrade over what you have and the rear hub is probably worse than the Pro4.

I’d have your Pro4 re-rimmed with a DT XM481 – that’ll be stronger than the i29. If you’re really worried stick an EX511 on – think it’s about a 40g penalty but really strong. If you like matching things grab another Pro4 for the front and add an XM481 to that. Doubt you need an ex511 on the front. Make sure you use decent quality double butted spokes.

richmtb

I’ve got Hunt Trail wides on my S150.

They replaced WTB i29s with some OEM hubs (propably Formula)

I’ve also got Mavix Crossmax XL wheels which I run sometimes with summer tyres and a boost conversion.

The Hunt Wheels aren’t quite as light as the Mavics but have a wider rim, the enagagment on the rear hub is super fast though and it rolls really well even compared to the Mavics.

I’ve not had any issue with dents yet.

I think the Hunts are good wheels for the money but if I already had a Pro4 rear hub then building it up on to a better rim might be a better idea than buying the Hunt wheelset

matt_outandabout

Eldest has a Newman wheel set.

Brilliantly light and stiff, while also being the only rims to last more than a few months under his riding…

I was pessimistic about the cost Vs performance, but they have been brilliant since June and the Alps.

mashr

You be seen a few Newmen suggestions recently, are they not twice the price of the likes of Hunt?

matt_outandabout

Yes – he managed to pick up a set from a German shop (not one of the usual ones though) at 40% off. Still more than the Hunts, by maybe £50-70 iirc.
    I’ll ask him when he is in from work.

Tracey

I’d go with a rebuild of the hubs on EX511s however if you want/need a new set at roughly the same price as Hunts it hard to see past the EX511s on 350 Hubs from Fitwheels on Ebay.

tall_martin

I’ve got hunt xc wide on my hardtail. They have been on for a year and a half.

A spoke pulled through the rim on the rear and went back to hunt for a new rear rim.

I bought a second hand set of wbt with novateck hubs until the original set came back.

There was…. Almost no difference. The wtb/ novateck rear is 200g or so heavier.

So on smooth sandy trails with the occasional trip to rocky trails either are fine.

In 600 miles it had eaten a rear free hub bearing that they fixed when a new rim went on.

If they die again I’ll build myself some hope pro 4 on Dt ex471.

tall_martin

Link

Link to page about gwinn getting down a world cup DH run on an enduro rim.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Hunt v WTB wheels – will I notice the difference?’ is closed to new replies.