Home Forums Chat Forum Huel Hot & Savoury… any users/experiences?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Huel Hot & Savoury… any users/experiences?
  • v7fmp

Hey folks,

Having seen enough adverts on YouTube and the like, i finally took a look at the Huel ‘lunches’. The website is full of lots of good info and it sounds like it could be a very convenient and quick way to have lunch during the week at work.

And if i believe all the hype, a more healthy option than the usual sandwich and bag of crisps i have on most days. Plus it would take up less room in my bike bag, so bonus points with less to carry on the ride in.

The big factor is how it tastes, which is where your feedback comes into it. Is it any good? I cant imagine it tasting like Michelin star grub, but equally, i enjoy the odd pot noodle, so if its equal or slightly better than that, i can stomach it (low standards!).

Alternatively, is there something else that can do the same job?

Let me know :)

MrSparkle

2 minute rice and a few savoury ingredients? Cheese etc?

alan1977
    Free Member

been on Huel for breakfast and lunch at work for maybe 8 years now
    It isnt for everyone, i have the shakes and hot meals.. the idea of the balanced nutrients is the seller for me, plus im too lazy to organise food for work
    I like most of the hot flavours, the texture of the actual huel which makes up a big part of the sauce can be a bit of an acquired taste to some. If you PM me i can send you a ref code if interested

scud
    Free Member

i have tried a number of them, some i like, the chilli and the thai curry, some i cannot stand such as the sweet chilli..

I have found them useful as i am Type 2 diabetic and it makes a handy lunch where i can take in 40g of carbs for gym later but it doesn’t spike my blood sugars at all, like bread or similar other lunch time staples do.

Big fan of their protein powder to, the vanilla with no carbs and 20g of protein, i make it unto overnight oats, 50g of steel cut oats, scoop of their powder, some chia seeds and almond milk mixed up and left overnight, then add some greek yoghurt and berries on for pre-ride / gym fuel

crossed

I keep some in my locker at work for the days when I can’t grab any proper food. I can usually get hold of hot water so these are ideal.
    The macaroni cheese one is pretty grim, the texture is awful and the taste is a bit suspect as well.

The Thai curry and Mexican chilli ones are absolutely fine, nothing spectacular but a whole load nicer then a pot noodle.

alan1977
    Free Member

see, the macaroni cheese is my favourite
    and cannot stand the thai green
    agree on the mexican though

longdog
    Free Member

I have the Huel black (banana) that I use for breakfast or lunch from time to time. Occasionally add it to overnight oats as above. High protein low carb.

Not tried the hot meals , so interested to see.

jonnyboi

The Mac & Cheese is grim.

Pasta Bolognese & Mexican Chilli are both palatable and are my go to.

the black edition vanilla shake is my favourite drink, also avoid all the bars they are inedible.

There is a referral scheme so if you go ahead I can get you £10 off your first order (and I get £10 off my next order!) ping me your email address if interested.

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Was given a free sample of the original vanilla stuff. It was gross. It had the flavour and texture of some artificially sweetened wheatabix which had been left in a cup of water over night.
    Not tired any of the savoury stuff

v7fmp

cheers for the feedback thus far.

Sounds like i might give it a go.

I see you can microwave it or just add hot water. Any difference with the end product? I would probably just use hot water.

Chilli sounds like a good one and will have to pot luck the other flavours as it seems they suit different palettes!

I currently use some Tribe protein shake, so good for that kinda gear.

jonnyboi

I just add boiling water, stir, leave for a few minutes, stir again and leave for a few more. you can experiment with the amount of water you use to vary the texture etc, same with the shakes. I prefer it on the thicker side as I feel fully afterwards.

Black protein powder (vanilla, strab and cream or salted caramel are my faves) whizzed up with a banana and a blob of peanut butter is my breakfast most days.

mahalo

Ive got two bags of the shakes gathering dust in the cupboard. not really a fan, i like toast too much!

Keen to try the hot and savoury stuff though, i certainly struggle with lunches in the week… but need some samples before i drop another £60+ quid on a glorified pot noodle.

can you get samples anywhere?

edit: looked on ebay, samples £7 delivered for one portion! fk that. there are plenty of full bags tho for £20ish – mostly Mac & Cheese!! :D

inbred853

I use the black edition, Vanilla and Salted Caramel, usually at work after a lunchtime gym/run/watt bike sesh. Love it with oat milk and some oats thrown in as scud does above
    I tried the Thai rice and found it more like soup than the nice steaming bowl of goodness on the packaging, maybe my fault for wrong prep etc.
    What would Huel users here recommended of the more solid food range?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.