Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How much does it cost to drive a car for 5 miles?
  • Aus
    Free Member

A mini debate going on here. We have a 10 yr old BMW 530D, big heavy beast. Gets 40mpg on a run, and typically averages just under 30mpg with mixed driving. But seems less when engine’s cold.

So if you drive 5 miles, what’s the diesel cost (excl. wear and tear etc)? Anyone know … and presumably wear and tear’s tough on the first few miles?

Just out of interest/fuel the argument!

wwaswas

PDF from AA giving full details;

http://www.theaa.com/resources/Documents/pdf/motoring-advice/running-costs/diesel2012.pdf

but in summary, as much as £2.52/mile for a flash car with a big engine.

GrahamS

Well… if you take your average as 30mpg, then 5 miles = 1/6th of a gallon.

But confusing fuel is sold in litres, so 1/6th (UK Imperial) gallon = 0.7577 litres

According to http://www.petrolprices.com/ the current average price for diesel is 144.01p per litre

So that makes it about £1.09 by my calculations, for fuel alone.

stumpy01

Eh?

Well, diesel costs about £1.44 a litre or £6.54 a gallon.

So 40mpg means 5 miles will cost you (£6.54/40mpg*5miles) = £0.82
    30mpg costs £1.08
    20mpg costs £1.64

in terms of diesel cost alone. The more miles you do, the less significant all the other costs become to the overall cost/mile.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Our Focus does 40.25mpg (Petrol, average consumption worked out over 32,746 miles)
    That’s 15p/mile in fuel according to my Road Trip app, over all that time, with varying fuel prices
    5 miles is 75p in fuel alone

Tax is £165-ish a tear
    Insurance £320
    Servicing/repairs/MOT about £500
    Tyres £300 a set for 26,000 miles

We do about 13,000 a year so we use half that set of tyres

150+500+320+165=£1135
    1135/13000=8.7p/mile

5×8.7=43.5

43.5p+75p= 118.5p for 5 miles.

EDIT
    5 miles costs 5.7p in tyres alone.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My Smart CDi has averaged 71mpg over it’s lifetime and at current pump prices is costing 9p per mile for fuel, (yes it’s very sad but I have a spreadsheet to keep track of it ) 😳

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

yes it’s very sad but I have a spreadsheet to keep track of it

😳 😳 😳 😳

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

Untitled by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

GrahamS

Our Focus does 40.25mpg

What size/model Focus Peter? Mine only gets about 34mpg (according to trip computer) and I don’t exactly rag it!

samuri
    Free Member

jebus!

Aus
    Free Member

blimey! I guess then our debate’s moving to: when the engine’s cold, short journey = less efficient than hot engine, long journey therefore disproportionate amount of fuel used early on???

Cougar

Apropos of nothing,

I once worked out that, given mileage covered and the amount of times I’ve bought new tyres, driving costs me around 10p a mile in rubber.

If I were to claim business travel expenses in a private car, I’d be looking at around 40p / mile. This ‘feels’ about right to me. So for the OP, I’d guess around two quid to drive five miles.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I just about get a thousand miles out of the rear tyre on my KTM Duke 690, that works out at 12p per mile (for one tyre).

Rubber_Buccaneer

Dibbs, are you using wets or something?

GrahamS

I just about get a thousand miles out of the rear tyre on my KTM Duke 690…

molgrips
    Free Member

I once worked out that, given mileage covered and the amount of times I’ve bought new tyres, driving costs me around 10p a mile in rubber.

😯

Onzadog
    Free Member

Total cost for my 55 diesel astra is 34p per mile. I can get a more accurate figure when I eventually sell it and most of its mileage is moderate speed motorway driving.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How much does it cost to drive a car for 5 miles?’ is closed to new replies.