Home Forums Chat Forum How long before the first “illegal” rave?

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • How long before the first “illegal” rave?
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

yeah, young people can be selfish as can those of us who’ve done fun summers, uni, jobs etc and are happy to hole up in our houses. But they’re being expected to take what looks to me like a very very big hit on their lives. I find it possible to sympathise.

Wow. Putting fun summers above saving human lives.

slowoldman

Your generation took everything they could get their hands on and then pulled up the ladders.

Could someone provide an illustration please?

johnx2
    Free Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_the_United_Kingdom

uh? I can just about see a link to the fact that it’s young folks expected to make sacrifices, though with hiv and wars and stuff its generally them in the (literal) firing line.

Putting fun summers ahead of saving human lives

And in case it’s not obvious, I’m not suggesting that young people should go out and party, just that I can understand the urge. And when I do see groups of them up on the moor on my righteous solo/couple of distant mates rides I find it helps keep my blood pressure manageable to remind myself of this…

BruceWee

I’m sure they could but, given that it’s been done to death here and everywhere else, if you’re still genuinely convinced this generation don’t have it worse than any post war generation then nothing anyone can post is going to change your mind.

So, just keep complaining about Netflix and avocado on toast. I’m sure they will eventually get the message and stop acting in ways that put their elders’ health in danger.

Just testing their hearing…

This probably explains it more than anything else.

johnx2
    Free Member

Your generation took everything they could get their hands on and then pulled up the ladders.

Because this is new to you? You could read some of the Resolution Foundation reports on the subject:

Mapping millennials’ living standards

DrJ

Global warming is the obvious example.

inkster
    Free Member

Is this the most Mumsnet thread yet to appear on here?

It’s the one that’s made me feel the oldest that’s for sure.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think some of the generation most at risk had a bigger hit on their lives due to a world issue, but you know, me, me, me, gap year is a human right etc

As a young person, I’d say it’s middle aged 40 to 65 year old “I know best, I’ve seen it all” people who are breaking the rules the most. Of the groups of riders together before lockdown eased, it was middle aged men. The middle aged women in the flats downstairs having folk round in their gardens. The middle aged women across the hall from us having her dad round, going out when she had Covid and now having friends in the house. My in-laws driving a sixteen hour round trip in the US to check a contractor had put up a curtain rod in a flat one floor below where my sister in law lives. Middle aged men going hiking together. The middle aged couple who live elsewhere and own a flat downstairs coming over pretty much the day Scotland entered Phase 1 when they weren’t supposed to. The middle aged family going from Edinburgh to their second home in Fife. The middle aged couple driving from London to Durham for a jolly for her birthday.

It got to the point where I wondered if the reason for people in their 50s and 60s being hardest hit is because, as with everything else (big cars, climate change, voting Tory), they just don’t give a flying **** about anyone else and don’t think anything applies to them.

binners

I was thinking about this yesterday afternoon when I first heard about it. I was pretty disappointed at such a large gathering but then I wondered what I would have done if I was 18 (at which point in my life I was going to illegal raves) and I think I probably would have ended up going.

Same here. I went to have a socially distanced beer with my folks who I’d not seen for yonks and we were discussing this. My mum said to me that when I was 18 I’d have been there like a shot. She was absolutely right. I would.

She didn’t bother adding ‘no doubt, ripped to the tits on weapons grade MDMA’. She didn’t need to. We sort of left it unspoken

eskay

😏

slowoldman

I’m sure they could but, given that it’s been done to death here and everywhere else, if you’re still genuinely convinced this generation don’t have it worse than any post war generation then nothing anyone can post is going to change your mind.

I’m not doubting that but there seems to be the view that every member of every previous generation has been complicit in making it so. That’s the bit I don’t get.

mrchrispy

I dont blame them, I think it should be been Parklife last weekend, weather was ace and people are bored.

But that location was asking for trouble, you struggle to drive through Carrington without someone trying to stab you!

frankconway

munro – we all have different experiences of who has/hasn’t been following the rules and I don’t accept your attempted stereotyping.
    Including the scottish ex-CMO and cummings in your list weakens your argument.
    As for your last paragraph, it’s complete nonsense.
    To save you asking, I’m part of the demographic you’re banging on about; along with everyone I know in that age group, I followed the rules and am still behaving as if there had been no relaxation.

minus
    Free Member

I think its hard to underestimate how much the young are being sacrificed to save the old. It’s easy for most of us middle aged middle class folks on here to criticise, but the education and job prospects of the young are being decimated to keep a much smaller number of generally very old, very ill people alive another year or so. Education and income (entering the labour market in a recession is something that a cohort never fully recovers from in terms of income) have impacts on life expectancy, with those less educated and those with lower incomes expected to live shorter lives.  So it is true that live are at stake, they are at stake for the young as well as the old. They deaths just won’t happen for another few decades so it it easy to pretend that they don’t exist.

In that context, I find it very hard to criticise the young for wanting to let off some steam. It just seems a shame that only those willing to engage in illegal activity are able to.

dazh

Awful lot of hand-wringing on here. From the videos I’ve seen my main observation was that they had a shit sound system, were playing awful commercial radio 1 music and were taking terrible drugs. My only real complaint is that they didn’t clean up after themselves. I went to loads of free parties back in the day out in the countryside and we always left the places as we found them and were gone before the day-trippers arrived. Kids today could learn a lot from their parents :-)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Awful lot of hand-wringing on here. From the videos I’ve seen my main observation was that they had a shit sound system, were playing awful commercial radio 1 music and were taking terrible drugs. My only real complaint is that they didn’t clean up after themselves. I went to loads of free parties back in the day out in the countryside and we always left the places as we found them and were gone before the day-trippers arrived. Kids today could learn a lot from their parents 🙂

I’m calling bullshit, simply on the basis of:
    1) if it was as good as you say it was, why had it ended by sunrise
    2) if the drugs were as good as you say it was, why were you sober by that time?

scaled
    Free Member

I’m calling bullshit, simply on the basis of:
    2) if the drugs were as good as you say it was, why were you sober by that time?

All the tidying up was done while whoever was driving had a stern word with themselves, a process that could take a while when the first thing you had to drive past was a police cordon.

dazh

a process that could take a while when the first thing you had to drive past was a police cordon.

Being the designated driver often meant you only took one pill instead of several :-)

I remember a couple which were only allowed to go ahead by the cops on the condition that we cleaned and packed up before the morning hikers arrived. Notwithstanding of course naughty drivers having to hang around until they wouldn’t get done.

sunnrider
    Free Member

You were young once,before you forget. Hommage to the rave era: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7ZxRs45tTg

dazh

The ones in the coutryside were always pretty civilised if you ignore the dodgy driving. And then there were the skanky inner-city warehouse ones where you never knew what would happen..

slowoldman

My only real complaint is that they didn’t clean up after themselves.

Well the number of new cases of COVID reported today was almost 1000. I wonder what it will be in a week or two given the social distancing still applies except for raves and queuing outside Nike.

Because this is new to you? You could read some of the Resolution Foundation reports on the subject:

This highlights the issues faced by Millenials and I whole heartedly accept those problems exist. But is that as a result of my generation “pulling up the ladder”? I wasn’t aware I had any input into national or global fiscal policy.

eskay

dazh
    Subscriber
    The ones in the coutryside were always pretty civilised

Apart from the one near Stroud where a couple of yardies tried to mug someone. The sound system stopped and they were called out, they proceeded to brandish a hand pistol and threaten to start shooting.

It was all a bit surreal but they were ushered off by a big group out of sight, I have no idea how it ended!

Cougar

Only caught the tail end of the news just now and haven’t read this thread (because I don’t care) but apparently there was an “illegal rave” in Manchester yesterday.

johnx2
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware I had any input into national or global fiscal policy.

I wasn’t pinning the blame just on you 😄

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But is that as a result of my generation “pulling up the ladder”?

It’s not an individual, it’s a generational problem. In the same way every generation likes to blame the younger generation for whatever the problem is, this time around it’s fair to say “millennials” and whatever we’re calling those in their 20’s now have had it pretty shit, pulling up the ladder is the wrong analogy as it implies malice or spite. The ladder was just something useful that previous generations benefited from, and was eventually burnt by them for firewood.

The last 70 years in the UK has seen:

Cheep energy from the north sea – now gone
    Low taxes subsidized by the north sea – inevitably on their way out
    EU Membership – now gone
    House prices – skyrocketed
    Retirement age – I’m in my mid 30’s and have never known my grandparents work, my forecast retirement on the other hand is ~10 years.
    University – from free with grants to £9k + living costs
    Global warming – completely failed to be dealt with so it going to be an expensive, lifestyle altering, cliff edge

With a cherry on top of a decade of austerity budgets, and unemployment replaced by underemployment and the gig economy. Tuition fees alone are basically an extra ~10% tax rate on anyone under 35 whilst the over 65’s vote themselves a guaranteed 2.5% pay rise.

Cougar

fair to say “millennials” and whatever we’re calling those in their 20’s now

Some millennials are approaching 40 now, your 20-somethings are Gen Z. You’re a generation behind, boomer.

slowoldman

The last 70 years in the UK has seen:

All being policy decisions made by successive governments.

Ask yourself, if you had been born in the 50s would you have behaved the same way as those who were? If not, what would you have done and what wouldn’t you have done, based on the knowledge you would have had then, not what you know now.

binners

As it’s wandering somewhat off-topic I wasn’t going to get involved in this, but…

Surely the most supreme act of selfishness yet – Brexit – is the prime example of a decision voted for overwhelming by the old that will disproportionately clobber the young, by removing so many rights and freedoms that they themselves enjoyed all their lives.

My mum and dad, both boomers, both staunch remainers, say they are absolutely disgusted at their generation for what they see as destroying their grandchildren’s futures, particularly as they won’t be around to ‘enjoy’ the hugely detrimental financial impact themselves. They’ll just leave the young to pick up the tab. Again.

But hey… keep paying those taxes kids. Someones got to fund those triple-locked, gold-plated, ringfenced pensions

johnx2
    Free Member

Ask yourself, if you had been born in the 50s would you have behaved the same way as those who were?

A more helpful question is what do we do now?

It’s not their ‘fault’ people born in the 50s were relatively lucky economically, any more than it would be the ‘fault’ of people born white/male/straight/rich for being lucky in various ways. You can shrug your shoulders and say, ah well tough on the youngsters. Or you can look at how to make things fairer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

All being policy decisions made by successive governments.

Ask yourself, if you had been born in the 50s would you have behaved the same way as those who were? If not, what would you have done and what wouldn’t you have done, based on the knowledge you would have had then, not what you know now.

Your implication being that better decisions could only have been made with hindsight?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway

OK, we’re not exactly Venezuela either, but

Some millennials are approaching 40 now, your 20-somethings are Gen Z. You’re a generation behind, boomer.

I’m nowhere near as old as my grumpiness implies 😉

trifoster
    Free Member

I’m not doubting that but there seems to be the view that every member of every previous generation has been complicit in making it so. That’s the bit I don’t get.

The largest group who vote by age are the over 55’s. The age group most likely to vote is the over 55’s.

I tried but couldn’t find one very simple statistic on voting. What percentage of all votes cast in an election, regardless of party, are by what age group?

If I was better at math I probably could have worked it out from the endless other statistics. But I’m guessing slightly over 50 percent.

30 years ago I was taught in a second rate college that by 2020 there would be more people claiming a pension than those who could pay for it. In that 30 years very little has been done to address that fact. I wonder why? Put bluntly, turkeys don’t vote for Christmas.

The fact that three generations were lied to isn’t their fault. What annoys me is that most of the two gilded generations that got to benefit from it can’t see how lucky they are. You are the only two generations in the history and probably future of human kind where the average working person got to retire. Yet the vast majority of you still think you’re hard done by. That includes my own family members.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘How long before the first “illegal” rave?’ is closed to new replies.