Home Forums Bike Forum How broken is my moco damper?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How broken is my moco damper?
  • timizere

Arrived in hayfield for a ride today, and my compression damper wasn’t working.

I just stripped the fork to see what was what, ad this is what greeted me;

https://youtu.be/2P9TaU1HW0M

Are these things serviceable?

ta11pau1

Time to upgrade to a charger 2/2.1! 😁

iffoverload
    Free Member

Had one with metal casing which had a couple of rivets holding it together. That came apart easy enough with some careful drilling. You might have a brown shaft in there Which may not be salvageable but worth a look.

joebristol

What fork is that out of? I might have the moco internals from a Yari lying around in a box somewhere (I upgraded to a charger 2).

timizere

The shaft looks like it’s split in two… I’m not sure what it’s supposed to be like tbh, but from all the pic research it looks like it should be in one piece!

It’s a 2018 boost revelation, no not compatible I think. Thanks for the thought though.

Still under warranty, so I suppose I get to test chain reaction’s warranty process again!

Does anyone think I’d be better off just dropping the cash on a charger?

Hurrah.

joebristol

Shame on the compatibility.

If you were happy with the performance then get it warrantied. If you fancied a more composed fork through the rough rock garden type stuff then it’s a perfect excuse to get a charger.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Charger 2.1s are pretty cheap from the German sites. Dead easy to install too (I did it on a Lyrik/Yari chassis, and I’m pretty mechanically inept).

JP

PJM1974
    Free Member

Hi OP, I can’t seem to see the split washer in the vid. I can see moulding flash in the cartridge but that’s about it.

I’ve had around four or five Motion Control forks, the early ones in particular are known for blowing a small seal and dumping the compression oil into the fork stanchion. Your’s isn’t an early damper – the cartridge is black, not red.

Did you check the oil level in the damper leg? Probably the most sensible starting point – I’ve never seen a damper cartridge split.

timizere

Yeh sorry, the reason I posted a video is that I can’t get photos of it- it’s really hard to film though the slots!

The damaged washer is visible through the bottom slot in the video.

When I turn the LSC lever on top of the fork, there is no movement of the ‘flow control’ washer at the bottom of the damper. I think something has snapped inside…

I’ll see what CRC say about warranty. Otherwise charger it is!

nickdavies

You can dissasemble. Top of the damper is a reverse thread. Careful with it and grease on reassembly. I had one do something similar which i fixed but it hadnt actually snapped/broken, though i cant see yours being broken on the video.

timizere

Thanks! I’ll have a pop at that this eve and see if I can get a better look!

timizere

As an update-

http://youtu.be/21R2QC6NH4Y

Thanks for the advice on how to strip it!

GeForceJunky

Other option is a Novyparts Splug, slightly cheaper than Charger damper and works very well.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Good work OP, well spotted and I hope that you have success with whichever damper upgrade you’re going for.

tinglesrack
    Free Member

Common issue on the Revelation 35mm. The Sram Tech Centre offer great aftersales support and they’d resolve that I’m sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How broken is my moco damper?’ is closed to new replies.