Home Forums Bike Forum How are we dealing with Gates

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • How are we dealing with Gates
  • thepurist

Way too much concern here – I just ask one of my riding buddies to open the gate for me. Simple.

kelvin

I’m avoiding gates while riding. If you can’t, you can’t. Hand washing after ride is the main thing.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

D.

Although I’m still on chain and sprockets.

Superficial
    Free Member

Hand washing after ride is the main thing.

I can’t help but scratch my face / move my glasses / wipe my nose when I’m riding. I’ve tried! In the supermarket etc I’m fine, though. For that reason, I want to keep my gloves ‘clean’ while I’m out.

Jamze

I can’t help but scratch my face / move my glasses / wipe my nose when I’m riding. I’ve tried! In the supermarket etc I’m fine, though. For that reason, I want to keep my gloves ‘clean’ while I’m out.

A couple of gates on my rides, one I can kick open, the other is an easy-latch. Just pull a sleeve down, or use my elbow. Plus all the usual try not to touch your face/wash your hands as much as poss.

People are becoming more of a risk IMO as it gets busier. Most won’t step to the side, if more than one they split to both sides of the track, all the usual stuff. Very little ‘2-meter gap’ awareness IME. The onus is on me to stop or move away from them most times.

Sat on some grass all alone the other day, a woman walks up with a young dog on a stretchy lead, starts chatting away whilst the dog is in my lap jumping up 🙄

benjamins11
    Free Member

Ive been opening doors using my hands in a hospital many times a day for the last 8 weeks and don’t seem to have caught it yet. I’m pretty sure gates will be low risk. D.

DavidBelstein
    Free Member

The NHS publish a spreadsheet every day with the deaths in hospital from covid 19. You can even check by region and age range.

I’m not worried about touching gates.

hols2
    Free Member

It’s from droplet spread from those coughing / sneezing individuals landing on surfaces which you then come into contact with.

Interesting. Thanks. However, the word “and” seems to be important here (p. 11). It seems to mean that there are two separate mechanisms of infection: Contact with contaminated surfaces that someone has sneezed on, and respiratory droplets that are not on a surface (so presumably either inhaled or in your eyes).

The transmission of COVID-19 is thought to occur mainly through respiratory droplets
    generated by coughing and sneezing, and through contact with contaminated surfaces.
    The predominant modes of transmission are assumed to be droplet and
    contact.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Contact with surfaces im sure is a mechanism – but couple the fact that the chance of it being on a particular gate that you are opening is probably pretty low plus you then touching your face afterward and it having persisted for very long under the uv light on that gate, especially if its a wooden gate means that the chance is probably vanishingly small.

bartesque

This

Anything else would be far too dangerous

Danny MacAskill – Farm Gate Bunny Hop – Photo Courtesy of Dave SowerbyImage 3 of 12

Superficial
    Free Member

Interesting. Thanks. However, the word “and” seems to be important here (p. 11). It seems to mean that there are two separate mechanisms of infection: Contact with contaminated surfaces that someone has sneezed on, and respiratory droplets that are not on a surface (so presumably either inhaled or in your eyes).

Technical point – respiratory droplet is a specific term that means something that falls to the ground (/ nearest surface) under gravity. Approximately ≥5µm. It is NOT inhaling particles that are hanging in the air (the term for that is aerosol). So actually the statements you highlighted support my previous point.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t believe that touching gates in the woods is in any way likely to be a significant mechanism for of spread. But someone is wrong on the internet. And, actually, this kind of misunderstanding can have implications if people take the same approach for much more probable interactions like handrails, shopping trollies etc etc.

hols2
    Free Member

Technical point – respiratory droplet is a specific term that means something that falls to the ground (/ nearest surface) under gravity

Which would mean that “and” in the quoted text should not be there because there is only a single mechanism of infection – contact with contaminated surfaces. The only plausible interpretation is that you can be infected from respiratory droplets that have not landed on a surface that you have touched.

D0NK

D but I do use my right hand for opening gates and my left for snot/headwipes and grabbing my water tube.
    So many other sources for infection that being too precious about doesn’t make sense but taking some precautions is probably a good idea.
    But that could be false reassurance akin to those people who wear a facemask and gloves (same set) all day everyday.

kelvin

The only plausible interpretation is that you can be infected from respiratory droplets that have not landed on a surface that you have touched.

Of course, they could land on you.

hols2
    Free Member

From this link, I think they mean that droplets are large enough that they will fall to the ground, not that they have fallen to the ground.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK143281/

However, it appears that they do pose a risk beyond contaminating surfaces.

According to Wells (1955), the vehicle for airborne respiratory disease transmission is the droplet nuclei, which are the dried-out residual of droplets possibly containing infectious pathogens.

From that, I infer that if you’re in a packed nightclub, choir, etc, you’re at risk of inhaling viruses and being infected.

hols2
    Free Member

Of course, they could land on you.

Especially if you breath in a lungful of air containing them.

sgn23
    Free Member

I generally consider it low risk, but I use my left hand for gates, right hand for mopping sweat and emergency flies-out-of-eyes.
    I’ve also developed a technique for opening bridle gates with my front wheel (not quite Danny Mac style).
    Some interesting, credible research out about how copper destroys the virus, so I might get a copper latch hook to keep in my pocket.

chrismac

Im opening them the same way as I always have. I always ride in gloves and am making sure they go into the washing machine after every ride.

Superficial
    Free Member

Re the quote from PHE: “The predominant modes of transmission are assumed to be droplet and contact.”

Which would mean that “and” in the quoted text should not be there because there is only a single mechanism of infection – contact with contaminated surfaces. The only plausible interpretation is that you can be infected from respiratory droplets that have not landed on a surface that you have touched.

IANAV, but: Again, there’s a specific term in play. In that context, ‘contact’ means physically touching / kissing / hugging anyone with the virus. See this link for a more formal definition: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1879625717301773 I.e. there need not be respiratory droplet / aerosol formation to pass the virus on to someone with whom you’re practising French kissing.

The point is that there are very specific terms in use in these documents. Whilst you and I think we understand all the terms (it’s written in plain English, right?), it’s clear that they are not universally completely understood. That is to say, whilst of course I’m fairly confident I’m the one interpreting it correctly, I’m completely sure that one of us is wrong! The point being that it’s really hard for individuals to make risk assessments which is why we need to trust the opinions of people who do this for a living (the scientists, not the politicians!).

Note I’m not saying that if someone coughs in my face or in the same room I won’t get infected. Just that the most important factor that we as individuals need to be aware of is surface contamination, not people coughing onto us etc. That’s how the majority of people will have caught Covid-19.

hols2
    Free Member

Note I’m not saying that if someone coughs in my face or in the same room I won’t get infected. Just that the most important factor that we as individuals need to be aware of is surface contamination, not people coughing onto us etc. That’s how the majority of people will have caught Covid-19.

The CDC seems to be saying the opposite.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

I’m not really too worried about touching a gate outside on a sunny day.

zippykona

What about my dustbins? They get a wipe over when we bring them in.

johnjn2000

I just ride with a light source stuck up my arse and touch of bleach in the water bottle. A wise orange man told me it was the way forward…..who am I to argue

hols2
    Free Member

What about my dustbins?

Just make sure you wash your hands before touching your face.

null

D0NK

Out of interest, how many D replies have come from people that still had to go to work through all this, work day to day with risk assessments and distancing etc. And how many gate sanitisers have been WFH in a bubble of fear?

:-)
    D and WfH, sorry.
    Tho my wife’s a nurse, so she’s already the most likely vector for me to get it.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m not really too worried about touching a gate outside on a sunny day.

Nor me. Even to have a chance you would need to wipe your finger over all parts of the gate handle and then suck your finger. I don’t tend to do that.

But if others was to be more careful that is fine and good practice for when they are in shared rooms/offices etc,.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I’m currently in A&E with a broken back from trying to front flip over a fence / gate. I explained to the nurse that i believed this to be safer than touching the gate with my hands. She understood.

Superficial
    Free Member

Even to have a chance you would need to wipe your finger over all parts of the gate handle and then suck your finger.

Well, you’d have to touch the latch (probably the same square cm as everyone else who went through the gate), and then either wipe your face, rub your eye, touch your glove to your nose or something. It’s a very unlikely mechanism of spread, of course, but it’s not as impossible as you are suggesting.

It’s an avoidable risk. We can’t do much to mitigate droplet spread in the air we are breathing when we are at work or we visit the supermarket, but we can take some precautions around common touch points.

hols2
    Free Member

It’s a very unlikely mechanism of spread, of course, but it’s not as impossible as you are suggesting.

I don’t think anybody said it was impossible, I think they said it was very unlikely.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No your right, it’s just a bit of a cold going around. I’m off to a rave tomorrow.

Which is not what he said.

The chance of transmission on a gate outside is very low. Don’t worry.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘How are we dealing with Gates’ is closed to new replies.