Home Forums Bike Forum Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?
  • trevmccdonald
    Free Member

Walking up any hill with a bike sucks. It’s even slower than walking without a bike, and by quite a long way as well if the terrain is tough enough.

padkinson
    Free Member

Mostly me is the issue, but I hated the walking up Jacobs ladder and other climbs . That’s not bike riding IMO .

Ride it then 🙂

Kryton57

Was slightly difficult Parkinson, with about 100 people doing the same in front .

Notwithstanding I’d be pretty confident it’s unrideable uphill .

dyls

Being back the Ruthin one I say…….😀 Seriously though we need one in North Wales now that Ruthin has been abandoned……. good spot for some new organiser to come in.

Anyway sorry for the thread hijack.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

There are claims that Jacobs Ladder has been ridden uphill all in one go

tomh1980
    Free Member

Awesome day (and night before) out… Definitely my favourite round of the series – some nice techy descents too.

padkinson
    Free Member

I’m only messing with you. Nick Craig is the only person to have cleaned it (and this isn’t absolutely proven to have happened). Totally impossible with riders in front of you and while tired.

If it’s any consolation, walking screws me over too. I got dropped from the front group on that trudge, and only made it back up by taking a few too many chances on the descent. I don’t really mind having unrideable bits though, it’s all part of a proper day out in the hills in my eyes.

Finished in 3:44 elapsed time (just off the back of the front group, lost them on the steep climb to the beast), 3:36 moving, as we took in the feed zones somewhat. I had my gopro on and got some pretty good footage. I’ll put the raw, full video up overnight (1hr long!), then an edited one later.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

It’s hard enough to get up Jacobs Ladder on the Hayfield side and that’s nothing compared to the Edale side!

I’ve yet to try the Edale side uphill, and never will if I’m planning the route.

padkinson
    Free Member

https://youtu.be/8gXphKUbryk

The full video, if you fancy wasting some time.

Kryton57

Nice video!  It shows its just as hard for you chaps at the front – the huge difference is there’s no walking in front of you.

BillOddie

The boys and I had a great day.  It was their first proper MTB event and they both did me proud and thoroughly enjoyed themselves.

Minimal whinging on the climbs and the descents were smashed with only 1 tumble for the youngest.

Speshpaul

Nice one Bill, I was stood right by you. just to your right. Looks like you had fun.

twowheels
    Free Member

Nice vid, just watched it on train back. Decent route but lots of walkers out.  I did a couple of road rides and hike to kinder scout.  Not too disappointed not to take part in the end.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

What a great day out, came in midway in the pack on the full marathon, first half of jacobs was hike a bike for me but managed to ride much of the second after the bend. I thought I was a fast descender till I got blitzed by a very fast lady on a super tasty Yeti SB6. now I need to buy a SB6!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I was out about on the hills saw a few riders tough course fair bit of walking I imagine the beast must of worried a few people lovely day.

iain65
    Free Member

Nice video Padkinson, it’s got me looking like I’m pushing my team off at 2 mins in!  Numplunzrichard – you seem to feature a bit as well!

Need to watch the rest of it!

iain65
    Free Member

Ha ha, I’ve just worked out who Padkinson is from the video, I couldn’t miss your fine choice of bike colour Paddy,  catch up with you soon! Iain.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?’ is closed to new replies.