Home Forums Bike Forum Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?
  • dirkpitt74

Anyone doing the Hope Valley MTB-Marathon next Sunday (2nd Sept)?

I’ve entered the 42km event. Fitness isn’t gretg at the moment but will hopefully enjoy crawling round the peaks.

If anyone’s in the same boat I’d be happy to have some company – and spire on up the climbs.

Won’t be looking for a quick time just an epic days riding in the Peaks.

Speshpaul

I’ll be there doing the 45km route, MTB Marathons are always  a great day out, Last year Hope was a cracker.

There’ll be no shortage of people to chat to.

astormatt
    Free Member

I’ll be there doing the half. Really enjoyed it last year. Fitness is way down as hardly been out.

fingers crossed weather will be ok.

Kryton57

Full Marathon for me.  At least I hope so, 1/2 my family is down with a chest infections and my neck has recently started aching…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. It’s literally on my doorstep too.

Theres also the Hope Valley Mountain Bike Challenge later in the month.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

That didn’t take much persuading. I’ve just entered the full marathon.

I’ve never done one of these Scott Marathons before. Will I get a GPX file in advance?

astormatt
    Free Member

No GPX, you will struggle to get lost, just follow the arrows.

flumewelck
    Free Member

I’ll be there again..mtb marathon series are a really good weekend and can’t fault the caterers they have.

£40. For 3 nights camping and bike support incase i get tired..😎

colournoise

What’s the route?

Was planning a jaunt around Ladybower and/or Edale on that Sunday. Might reconsider if it’s going to be rammed…

flumewelck
    Free Member

A thousand or so more bodies to dodge wouldn’t be good as they/we will be pushing up what you would be riding down and riding down what you’ll be pushing/riding up. 😎

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Any ideas what the route is going to be like, based on previous years?

dirkpitt74

Thanks all, hopefully the banter and haribo will get me round.

gazza100

I’ll be there. I’m just getting back into mountain biking as I’ve spent the last 5 years training and racing on the road bike. Replaced my 2007 Orange Five with a 27.5 plus carbon hardtail recently. I’ve entered the full marathon so Sunday will be my first big outing on it. Looking forward to Sunday but not the 500 mile round trip from Scotland though.

flumewelck
    Free Member

strava1085192930

Last year’s 40k ride ?

I’ll be starting at the back and staying there’s about so don’t care what time I finish..

Old man on a rigid onone learcher if you fancy a chat at the back..😎

iain65
    Free Member

Hoping to get there again this year, I did a steady ride round last year with my son, route here for the full distance if anyone wants it: https://www.strava.com/activities/1166720095

Really nice course apart from the walk up Jacobs ladder!

Iain.

earl_brutus
    Free Member

fancy a go at this… checking schedule now.

Garry_Lager

Might go for a mince round – done nowt on the MTB for ages so the miles would do me some good. Can you enter on the morning of the event do you know?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Yep entry on the day (if not already full) with an additional surcharge apparently

Kryton57

Really nice course apart from the walk up Jacobs ladder!

Walk?  Come on now…  ;)

BillOddie

Might take my boys (8 and 10) and do the 25km Mini Marathon.

Look for 2 kids on Saracens and me on a Chromag hardtail, and a massive rucksac full of haribo.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So how quick are the quickest guys completing these Scott Series Marathons?

Kryton57

Nick Craig / Paul Oldham completed it in 3:45 last year.  I’m hoping for 4:30 if all goes well, then to drive back to London.

Speshpaul

The full route 3-4 hrs depending on the route. But you are talking about a fair selection of the fastest XC riders in the country.

But hey, its not a race.            ( but it is…..ssh)

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve no idea how to pace a ride as long as this.  I’ve barley ridden for longer than 2 hours at a time this year!

1 bottle cage or 2…. decisions decisions!  Looks like it’s going to be a warm day forecast 23’c

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve been thinking about this a lot. It’s literally on my doorstep too.

Me too. The thing is 40 quid is fine and fair enough if you’re coming for the weekend and camping for a couple of nights etc, but quite a lot to pay for simply rocking up and riding your local trails with the added bonus of some feed stations and a tee shirt for getting round.

Not disparaging the event at all, I’ve done mtb marathons elsewhere and really enjoyed them, but they make more sense if you’re coming from outside the area I think. Trails should be riding nicely with the recent rain damping the dust down a bit and firming up traction. Have fun :-)

PlumzRichard
    Free Member

Me and Giles had a good tear up last year around the longer route, 3.17 according to strava.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1166937819

its not a race though remember. ;)

teamslug

I’ll be there. Just signed up. I’ll be happy with 4.5 hours, hope there isnt too much walking/pushing as I’ve knackered my foot in the shed door. Hurts more to walk than ride. Arriving Saturday sometime in a decent sized motorhome( 8.0m long).  Whats the access and space like?.

twowheels
    Free Member

I was planning to ride but don’t have bike atm :(  Coming up on Saturday and staying in Edale hostel.  Will hike instead and give you guys some encouragement (not that @plumzrichard needs any it appears! 3:17 is impressive, I am more of 4:17 guy :))

Kryton57

Whats the access and space like?

According to the postcode its the college in Casteford so I guess we are parking / camping in the playing fields…?

mccraque

What do most people ride for this event? Considering a couple next year

BillOddie

Apparently I have missed the online entry and now can only enter on the day.

Anyone know how likely there are to be spaces on the Mini Marathon?

Speshpaul

Bill Yes, there will be plenty… no worries.

Mccraque, it doesn’t really matter, 100mm Ht to 160mmFS, just depends on how fast you want to go.

Teamslug. If you are there early on hardstanding, or later on in the sports field.

Kryton57

Now I’m having last minute panic thoughts about leaving a Rocket Ron on the back albeit snakeskin amongst all those rocks.  I’ve got a Mezcal TNT in the shed…

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #555555; font-family: ‘Noto Serif’,serif; font-size: 16px; font-style: italic; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>Really nice course apart from the walk up Jacobs ladder!</span>

I really don’t know why they’ve done Jacobs Ladder that way round

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

66km in the Peaks I’d be doing well if I did that in 5 hours

I can’t believe that someone’s averaged 20kph over that course, I was thinking the top level would be around 15kph the peaks just isn’t bike friendly. Jacobs Ladder and Mam Tor are killer climbs. I’m not so familiar with the other side of the course, so not sure if it’s any easier.

I’ll have to get an Ebike that’s the only way I’d be averaging 20kph on the Dark Peak trails

Speshpaul

“I really don’t know why they’ve done Jacobs Ladder that way round”

Because it would be carnage sending 6-800 down it. They have to strike a balance  between fun and super techy.

“I’d rather ride up a hard climb thou than push up JL.”

I’ll have to get an Ebike

Yeap try pushing it up JL!:-)

timbog160
    Free Member

Is anybody doing the evening rides on the Saturday – I’m quite tempted to bob along with my eldest for the shorter one?

dirkpitt74

How did everyone get on?

I couldn’t get there this morning so didn’t do it.

Kryton57

I’m pretty pissed off TBH.  I’ll post the details in the xc racing thread .

Mostly me is the issue, but I hated the walking up Jacobs ladder and other climbs . That’s not bike riding IMO .

Otherwise all good as usual with the organisation, an beautiful weather in a beautiful part of England.

astormatt
    Free Member

It was alright…lost water bottle on first descent so was seriously thirsty most of the way round!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Hope Valley MTB-Marathon who’s going?’ is closed to new replies.