Home Forums Bike Forum Hope Tech Enduro 35W

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hope Tech Enduro 35W
  • endurokid
    Free Member

HI all,

I have found a previous thread on these wheels, but would like to see if the quality of the rims has improved over the standard ‘Enduro’ wheel set.

Customer reviews on CRC are mixed, some really good and some really poor. Magazine reviews appear to be good, but before I pull the trigger I’d like real honest feedback.

Some reviews suggest these rims dent / flat spot easily and don’t hold air, whereas others say they are bombproof.

I just like to know if I should be looking elsewhere for a new set of wheels.

Cheers

vincienup
    Free Member

Firstly it depends if everyone really means the Hope wheelset and not just a rim that someone who may or may not be any good at building knocked up into a wheel for them. I’ve seen many good rims dismissed online because of crap wheelbuilders.  It’s not a particularly light wheelset from what I remember so I’d expect it to be able to take some knocks.

Secondly, how are these people using them?  Someone hanging off the back of a 160 bike crashing through everything in their path is likely to be much harder on wheels than someone riding in the bike with a bit of finesse and well chosen lines. Rider weight is likely to be a factor too.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I am 70kg in riding gear have 160mm FS. – rear tyre WTB Convict Tough.

Although I had been happy with the Hope Tech 35W wheelset up until now:

The first jump that I came up ever so slightly short on – didn’t feel like a “case” resulted in a bad dent to one side of the rim, this makes me suspect it could have caught a rock – I’m not sure.  The rim held the tyre and didn’t loose any air.

I am careful with my lines and ride “light” but push it a long a bit.

These rims are not light and they do not look strong, in hindsight I should have gone for the DH version as 28mm is enough for 2.4/5 tyres anyway.

I won’t buy a replacement 35W for the rear.

I am now pondering a set of Light Bicycle AM/EN733 rim combination (front/rear).

chestrockwell

I’m a lump and have them on my hardtail. Been great so far, no worries at all.

dmorts

I’ve been coming back to looking at these every so often, attracted by the fact they claim to be able to take a wide range of tyre sizes…. but I’m wondering if they’re a jack of all tyres sizes and master of none. For 2.4/2.5/2.6 you could go for a lighter 30mm internal rim. For plus (2.8) tyres you might be better with something wider than 35mm internal

weeksy

No issues with them on my T130. They’re MASSIVE though… Wider than my motorbike tyres*

*not really

endurokid
    Free Member

I can get a new set on Tweeks @ £337 which is really good, as Merlin are doing them for £360.

I was also looking at the DT Swiss EX511 but at £475 from Moonglu they’re a bit much in comparison.

Its just hard with the Hope as reviews are 50/50, some great, some not so.

timbog160
    Free Member

I have them on my e-bike which is obviously a lump.  I’m also incompetent so am often getting jumps wrong, banging into rocks etc and I’ve had no problems (so far)

As for width I run 2.5 front, 2.3 rear and they seem to give a bit of extra volume which I like.  I have a 2.6 front but not fitted yet.

i think they’re good value overall.

waspsnest
    Free Member

TL;DR – I like them.

I normally chime in on the 35W threads. I found there wasn’t much online regarding them.

I’m 15st now, I have a set of them on a Giant Trance and have done for the best part of a year. I ride all year round and in a variety of conditions between home in the Highlands and down here in London. I’m particularly clumsy and bulldoze my way through everything.

After a really rough weekend around the Isle of Skye (read: rocks) they started pinging a bit but when put them for truing at the LBS they said only the front one needed a tighten up.

They have literally been hassle free aside from this.

Now, my caveat would be that I’m not the best test subject as they are the first set of ‘proper’ wheels I’ve ever bought and looking at the weight – there will be other, lighter, options.

For me though, they give me confidence in the bends, haven’t disintegrated under my bulk and make a cool noise. Building a hardtail at the moment and will definitely throw a set on there too.

endurokid
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Whilst there may be lighter options out there I really glad that I’m getting honest feedback form people who actually use them, and not from keyboard warriors who comment based on what they’ve read elsewhere.

Keep the comments coming!

Cheers

Gaz.dick
    Free Member

I’ve got both the Tech Enduros (27?) mm and the 35mm – swap em depending on the riding I’m doing.

This is on a 2017 BFe; they’re a bit heavy and with the wider tyres – slow rolling and not as “playful” as the lighter set up – but when throwing it around steep, muddy trails in the woods – with roots/rocks (trees! – they dont help much with trees….)
    They’re also canny for the ol Hike a bike in the lakes – where the rolling doesnt matter so much – just adds a bit of weight to the shoulders when you carry them – but the confidence and strength to be blasted down the rocky trails – awesome.

If I am trail centre-ing or more “trail-y” riding – I’ll throw the old enduros on for a bit of a lighter/quicker set up.

35s running DHF/DHR WT combo (2.5/2.4)

skinnys running On-one Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord (2.4/2.25)

All on 650b.

And – the hubs make a lovely sound….

andyrm
    Free Member

I am now pondering a set of Light Bicycle AM/EN733 rim combination (front/rear).

That’s what I’ve been running for the last 18 months – 28 hole on E13 and now DT Swiss 240 hubs. Seen EWS and Superenduro action, plus lots of hard uk usage and still going strong. I’m 75kg, on a coil shocked 160mm bike, not particularly gentle in riding style. Would definitely get the same again 👍

endurokid
    Free Member

@andyrm

The second part of your post, are you talking about the Hope rims, or the Light Bicycle? Cheers

andyrm
    Free Member

@endurokid – sorry dude, sh*tty quote thing on here is a nightmare hey!!!

I’m talking about the Light Bicycle ones – AM733 on the front, EN733 on the rear. Built with 28 DT Comp 2.0/1.8 spokes, black brass nipples.

You can see a pic of the front one here: LB AM733 on DT Swiss

endurokid
    Free Member

@andyrm cheers man, looks like a sweet set up!

endurokid
    Free Member

So, I’ve pulled the trigger. Hope I’ve done the right thing!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’m looking at getting a pair of these for my Whtyte..

Can we have an update fella, or can anyone else advise if the Hope Rims are still made of cheese?

Or do I just get a set of pro 4s on any other shiny rim?

hainman
    Free Member

I’ve ran the Hope Enduros for two years and only put a small sink in my rear wheel

i must be lucky

lowey

IMO cheese.

I have them on the HB and the amount of dings I;ve got is ridiculous.

Ding by Dave Lowe[/url], on Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Ah, ok.. more conflicting view points..😩

Think I’ll just go with DT Swiss and Pro4 then. 😌

jes
    Free Member

Had a pair of 35w for at least 18 months with no issues, however I don’t run tyre pressure’s below 30 psi :-)

forge197
    Free Member

I looked at these as relatively speaking good value, with discounts, was put off by some reviews, did try a pair of Hunt’s that didn’t work out, so Stan’s Baron Rims on Pro 4 built by Spokesman Wheels was what I have gone with.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech Enduro 35W’ is closed to new replies.