Home Forums Bike Forum Hope brakes – bite point adjust dial

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Hope brakes – bite point adjust dial
  • pedlad

Am I doing it wrong?
    Despite unwinding the bpa on the tech levers before bleeding, then topping up fluid to reservoir top and rolling diaphragm as per hope video I always end up having to wind the bpa back fully on to get it biting without almost to the bar pulls. Pretty certain the bleeding is fine as they then work fine. Just without the quick bite I thought they should have.

This is using new SS Kevlar pads too which are often thick enough to rub disks when first installed.

Surely I should be able to run the bpa virtually out initially?

curvature
    Free Member

Tech Levers?

If so follow this

Hope Brake Bleed

It is important you do the last section to clear air from the master cylinder.

pedlad

Yep that’s what I’m doing including the last move tap and top up. Pretty sure there’s no air in system.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve never had a problem but wouldn’t want to run the BPA all the way out. I wind the BPA right out to bleed, wind all the way back in, then wind out 4 clicks which is where I like it.

If you have them wound right out the levers are bound to go almost to the bars. That’s the point really – more movement of the lever before the pads bite

pedlad

I agree cpt MW I wouldn’t run them fully open but equally wouldnt expect to run them fully closed as I’m having to do to get them to bite without excessive lever movement. It’s as though I’m not getting enough liquid in the reservoir despite it overflowing as I roll the diaphragm.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’d suggest making sure that your caliper pistons are moving freely, and not retracting too far when you release the lever.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You should just be able to give the levers a few pumps to get the pads into their normal position and then they are good to go. Don’t know what the problem is. What are you using to hold the pistons apart when you bleed them and are you getting any leakage from the pistons?

pedlad

No leakage from pistons. Put couple of bits of wood in between. Maybe these are forcing pistons further back than they should be. Hmm thanks something to try maybe leaving old pads in and not forcing back the pistons so much

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Hope brakes – bite point adjust dial’ is closed to new replies.