Home Forums Bike Forum Hope Bottom Bracket Bearing replacement.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Hope Bottom Bracket Bearing replacement.
  • Nomad
    Free Member

I need to replace the 24mm bearings in my hope BB

Are genuine hope bearings the best option or are there others with comparable/ better quality and longevity?

Cheers

N

didnthurt

Just google ‘Hope bearings Singletrackworld’ you’ll find loads of threads on the subject. General jist is, Hope supply decent stainless bearings from a top manufacturer, but are more expensive than buying other quality brands from a dedicated bearings supplier. Usual bearing brands that are recommended are ones like SKF, NTN, FAG and even Enduro (apparent their tolerances are not quite as good but I’ve always found their bearings to last well).

Wally

Buy the tool for this and you will be delighted to change the bearings as and when with no drama. Hope do make great tactile “well that was easier than I thought” tools IMO.

didnthurt

Also to note, you will find lots of different opinions on what bearing materials are best as well as what seals they should have as well as the grease they use in the bearings.

As I live in the UK and ride in the wet, I always try to buy stainless bearings with double seals, and that have water proof grease installed. I’ll still pop off the seals before fitting to add more waterproof grease. This does add a little drag but I prefer longevity over a tiny bit of lost watts. But then I don’t race.

Good article here if you want to spend some time reading about the exciting world of bicycle bearings.

https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/workshop/bicycle-bearings-everything-you-need-to-know

fossy

Enduro seem good enough, and, like above, I’ll pop seals and add more waterproof marine grease

asbrooks

So those of you that repack with waterproof grease, what do you use? I use general purpose and mostly get good results and I can even manage Sram’s dub bottom brackets over two winters with it. But if waterproof grease is the way forward which should I get?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.