Home Forums Chat Forum Honey trap panic. What to do

• This topic has 47 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by olddog.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Honey trap panic. What to do
  • Dickyboy

My once best friend who I was supposed to be best man to, was persuaded to marry in secret after his fiancée propositioned me & I told her to gtf – they are now getting divorced & it’s costing him a fortune, luckily they are selling to developers so will make a killing but it was all his to begin with. Can’t help some people I’m afraid, although taking advantage of someone with dementia would probably be a different kettle of fish, which is why I think you need legal advice.

mert
    Free Member

Methinks you are mixing up death and divorce here @cougar

She’s got him off all his medications, it’s a logical conclusion.

prettygreenparrot

I thought with married couples, the surviving partner automatically inherited it all.

If you die intestate then there’s some refinement.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/death-and-wills/who-can-inherit-if-there-is-no-will-the-rules-of-intestacy/#:~:text=Children%20of%20the%20intestate%20person,more%20than%20a%20certain%20amount.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

She’s got him off all his medications, it’s a logical conclusion.

Yes exactly. That’s why I said it.
    Cougar’s ” entitled to **** all” comment is related to divorce, which is not what we’re talking about here

CountZero

Other worrying thing, on her advice he has given up all meds including statins for high cholesterol.

As others have said, that’s a worrying development – what possible reason could someone have for doing that? Either the obvious one, as others have inferred, or else she’s fallen down a conspiracy rabbit hole about taking meds, and is convincing him to dive in with her.

Cougar

Cougar’s ” entitled to **** all” comment is related to divorce, which is not what we’re talking about here

Yeah, you’re right I think. They’re different things.

Getting married nullifies a will, it has to be amended. My mum redid hers when my dad died, it cost like £200 or something to remove all the bits that concerned him.

If a couple divorce then it’s no longer the case that the former wife gets half of everything. it’s divided more fairly. After two years’ separation it can be done unilaterally, you just have to serve papers.

If one dies without a will, I don’t actually know. I probably should find out because if I clock out tomorrow my girlfriend is potentially ****ed given that I’m technically still married.

Again though – AIUI. I may well be wrong. This is new and I only just started looking into it in anger before I unexpectedly had other crap to deal with.

thecaptain
    Free Member

If one dies without a will, I don’t actually know. I probably should find out because if I clock out tomorrow my girlfriend is potentially ****ed given that I’m technically still married.

Yes indeed. A slight hijack but you really ought to sort this out, yesterday. If you can’t manage that, then some time this week will have to do.

You can write a will really very easily and quickly. And if you do a really quick and basic job, that you want to amend later (when you’ve decided who to entrust with your treasured collection of teddy bears), you can amend it quite easily too. So no reason to put it off until you’ve really had a long think about all the details (ie, indefinitely so it never gets done).

olddog

I would get some professional advice from a solicitor as there is sime muddled thinking from contributors already on this thread

Once you know what the position is legally then you have a sound basis for deciding what action to take

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.