Home Forums Chat Forum Honda 600 f (probably an F4i) as a first motorbike?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Honda 600 f (probably an F4i) as a first motorbike?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK, having spent yet more time on CBF500's I've come to the same conclusion again, I still hate them with a passion.

Just about everything I've looked at (£1500 bike, TPF&T, SDP&C) costs ~£210 +/-£20 to insure.

The acceleration of the CBF wasn't scary and I could probably have used/had fun with more. The lack of any wind protecton coubled with high bars was a PITA. Suspension was on a par with a bouncy castle/CG125. Which leaves 2 options.

Big screens (BMW 650 funduro) or low bars and a double-bubble screen (600f4i). I'm drawn to the honda as a)its more like a roadie riding position which I find comfortable and I run my O-O 456's bars lower than most head banging XC'ers! b) despite being a 'sports' bike, it was never very fast (compared to R6, GSX-R 600 etc) and was replaced by the 600FS then the 600RR which were both significantly faster. c) BMW had reliability issues (when did they go downhill and was the 650 a good/bad model for this) d) my parents live over the hill form Donnington, it would be rude not to take it down for a track day!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The acceleration of the CBF wasn't scary and I could probably have used/had fun with more. The lack of any wind protecton coubled with high bars was a PITA. Suspension was on a par with a bouncy castle/CG125.

I can tell you're a new rider 😉 Having had a CG125 and done 33,000 miles on a CB500s, you're waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wide of the mark. (And that's the older version of the CBF, I would assume they've improved it) CB5s are superb little bikes. Loadsa fun! 🙂

Me? Personally? I'm odd. I don't like 600cc 4 cylinder engines. I tried a GSXR600 and found it flat and lifeless. You've gotta cane it everywhere and it gets tiresome.

You don't have the budget for a 675 Triumph Triple, but a Suzuki SV650 or a Ducati Monster are within easy reach.
    If you must have a Jap 4, look for an original Yamaha Fazer 600. They do have some mid-range at least. 🙂

Spongebob
    Free Member

Yes the CBF500 is sheer motocyling evil! It only exists because it is cheap and all the schools like a bargain (of course!).

The one I rode gave me serious pain and numbness in the axxe after only one hour. I also got numbness and discomfort from the foot angle on the lever/pedal. Unsafe!

I thought 500cc was pretty ample, but the bike is built for short people. Handling seemed OK, but then I have no recent comparisons.

Who makes a 29er equivalent of a 500cc bike, that isn't a trials bike?

The manufacturers are great at making 125cc bikes look like 400cc bikes, so why can't they similarly upscale something with a bigger engine?

The BMW GS tourers are the right size for me, but the the 1200cc engine is complete overkill, too heavy and BMW's are overpriced. The GS's are a bit trialsey too.

SO who knows a good comfortable hlaf faired bike for a bloke 6ft 2" tall, but which will go round corners without giving the rider a heart stopper?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I agree with PP – and remember the cb500 can be got with a half fairing.

Original style fazer 600 is a good call. ER6 as well is another

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

SO who knows a good comfortable hlaf faired bike for a bloke 6ft 2" tall, but which will go round corners without giving the rider a heart stopper?

nail, head, hit

Maybe its just becasue they're bought by riding schools who keep them in the bare miniumum condition to get through an MOT. But they all seem to be bought by people who believe they will do 100,000 miles without a service, and then get treated accordingly. Never seen one and thought, ohhh that looks nice. And like for like CBF 600f's seem to be a lot more bike for the money. Could have a CBR600 with not a mark on it, FSH and only a few previous owners for the same money some people ask for a CBF thats been arround the clock, never serviced, bald tyres and looks like its been dragged through several hedges and a taxi rank backwards.

And that's the older version of the CBF, I would assume they've improved it) CB5s are superb little bikes. Loadsa fun!

Oddly, yes, I had a few hours on a CB500, and though it was a better bike too, appart from having an imposisble to find neutral!

tinsy
    Free Member

ER6 is a good shout they just look nice..

But I would go straight to the CBR, if you can ride and your sensible, it will be a far better track weapon, and all of the above are plenty fast enough to get you in trouble, so its all down to you.

My old banger, built up from about 10 differnt bent bikes.. no looker but it went alright.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I agree with PP – and remember the cb500 can be got with a half fairing.

If your tall, the screen is a token jesture, even crouched forewards it just deflected the wind into my neck/helmet and actualy felt worse.

Maybe I've just not ridden a good one, but I've ridden enough bad ones to put me off for life!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Plenty of people do go straight to the CBR as their first big bike. Despite only being a 600 they are pretty quite, however as long as you can control your throttle hand they're not difficult to ride and it's easy to stay away from the rapid acceleration by keeping under 10K revs.

I've got a '01 CBR600F (one of the first fuel-injection ones) taking up space in my garage if it's of interest:

Uk bike, one owner from new, something like 8K miles, new exhaust (Motad), rear tyre and chain/sprocket, double bubble screen, Scotoiler.

MKCHRIS
    Free Member

The sv650s is a great half faired bike.I had one for 13 months until I wrecked it 2 weeks back.I'm 6ft 1 and it wasn't too comfy for long journeys but it was a LOT of fun!!
    Maybe the naked SV if you can find one-no fairing but proper bars not clip ons..

A different kind of bike altogether….I test rode a 2006 Honda Transalp on saturday-good for tall people,half faired kind of and fine for the kind of riding I'll be doing(commuting and visiting far flung friends and family) not particularly exciting but practical for my needs.

Try as many as you can before putting your money down and buying something you'll regret.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Epic Steve,

Sounds like the kind of think I'm after, I'd be adding 5% to its milage just on the ride home though! My dad will more than likely be doing a motorbike tour of Scotland sometime soon so could provide the perfect excuse.

How much are you after?

Might have to swap the bodywork though, loving the technicolour brilliance of tinsy's one, no chance of climbing abord the wrong one in the car park!

Pigface
    Free Member

TDM

MrGFisher
    Free Member

My first bike was a 600f and i found it perfect for progression to bigger and faster bikes. I learnt more on the 600f just by riding around and experimenting than during all my instruction. I now have an Aprilia Factory 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TDM

If he's tall, a Tedium is a good call, actually. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Cane a gixer 600 everywhere ? bollox I had a 600 fazer and you dont even cane one of those everywhere.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Cane a gixer 600 everywhere ? bollox I had a 600 fazer and you dont even cane one of those everywhere.

Exactly. GSXR was flat as a pancake midrange, Fazer HAS a midrange because it's not tuned for silly high revs, but for normal riding instead. 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

-but you still dont cane it everywhere, plod would have you. I know what you mean butyou could word it better!

Harmitans
    Free Member

Tinas, the most important thing is to test ride a few yourself and form your own opinion. I had a GSXR600 and thought the midrange was fine although I did end up caning it everywhere as the top end was even better!

I also thought that the SV650 was dreadful and still do. It seems that some people like twins and some like fours. Neither opinion is wrong, just buy whatever floats your boat and enjoy it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edric 64 – Member

Perfectly possible to use most of its power and revs on the right roads.

freddyg
    Free Member

TDMs are good bikes. My mate (6'4") has one and loves it.

ZR7-s' are very good 'first big bikes' too. They're very reasonably priced as they're not particularly fashionable. I had one for 18 months and put over 30k on it. It never missed a beat.

Edric64
    Free Member

We all do that ,we just dont do it everywhere

juan
    Free Member

Me? Personally? I'm odd. I don't like 600cc 4 cylinder engines. I tried a GSXR600 and found it flat and lifeless. You've gotta cane it everywhere and it gets tiresome.

No you are not odd you just have a little more experience then most of the people on here.

Me I am not going to suggest anything because I am an ayatolla of the 'on is plenty enough 2 if you are a killer, more you're just a racer wanNabe'…

Plus acceleration is for coward that cant neither turn nor brake 😉

sv
    Free Member

The CBR would be great – smooth, reliable and track dayable! The SV is ok too just depends what you want out of a bike.

anagallis_arvensis

here's mine, ugly, slow, handles poorly on road, shit off road doesnt seem unreliable thus far though

Northwind

CBR's a perfectly decent choice, but they're not cheap to fix if you bend it, which statistically speaking you're fairly likely to- even if it's just a walking pace drop in a carpark or similiar. Lovely bikes, pretty much all of 'em from day 1 have been, I hate the engines but that's just me. Best bike I've ever ridden for real world use was a CBR600F, enough engine, enough fairing, enough comfort, go! I just didn't like it 🙁

Spongebob
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

here's mine, ugly, slow, handles poorly on road, shit off road doesnt seem unreliable thus far though

Looks good to me! How much could I get one of those for?

Just been looking at new bikes and am shocked at the substantial price increases since I first looked in 2007.

anagallis_arvensis

Mines a 1995 single cylinder model got it for £900 last summer, had 38 000 on clock at the time. Its great fun on my commute although it does need a more powerful horn…

flow
    Free Member

My first proper bike was a Honda RVF 400 NC35. Excellent V4 engine, quick enough, handled superb and looked the nuts.

Dolcered

i got an er-6f as my first bike, in the only colour for kwaks! (imo).
    only passed my test last year, still finding my feet, its bike enough for me just now. the ninja belongs to the bf!! way way way too big a bike for me just now.

AlexBerry
    Free Member

I have a rat looking '94 CBR600 F2 american import (with mph clocks). Despite it's age and industrial looking body work it still lead 10 laps on the mallory track day and communted to London and back in the same day. had it 6 years, gave £850 for it, and would buy it all over again.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Epic Steve,

Sounds like the kind of think I'm after, I'd be adding 5% to its milage just on the ride home though! My dad will more than likely be doing a motorbike tour of Scotland sometime soon so could provide the perfect excuse.

How much are you after?

Probably something like £1800. I need to stick a new MOT on it, but I'm expecting to pass first time given I'd be surprised if it's done 500 miles since the last one!

Might have to swap the bodywork though, loving the technicolour brilliance of tinsy's one, no chance of climbing abord the wrong one in the car park!

Aparently there were only a few official import silver ones like mine, so you're not likely to see too many others like it either!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

sounds good, I've got my test at the end of the month so if it's still for sale then I'll be in touch.

Got to love a good road trip 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Honda 600 f (probably an F4i) as a first motorbike?’ is closed to new replies.