Home Forums Chat Forum Hi-res audio streaming

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Hi-res audio streaming
  • twonks

Yes. I have both the Mini and Pro and they are exactly the same.

What was said above about different DACS is wrong, as they share the same one.

The Pro Plus has a different AKM DAC.

I settled on the Pro via coaxial digital out for my main system just because really, I can’t tell the difference in real terms between digital outs, on the headphone system or main hifi.

I also use Amazon HD and as said a few times, the actual mastering quality seems to make the biggest difference once a digital CD quality file level is reached.

CountZero

the actual mastering quality seems to make the biggest difference once a digital CD quality file level is reached.

Dat’s true, dat! As I’ve said before, back in the days of vinyl, the quality of a vinyl release could change over the course of the first year of release; for example Dire Straits ‘Love Over Gold’ was mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisk, and the first pressings were made from stampers from Masterdisk, but over time damage and wear happens, so replacements need to be sourced, and it’s not feasible to get them from Masterdisk, so stereo copies of the original studio master tapes were sent out, and new masters were cut by local mastering studios, so already there’s a copy of a copy being used, so degradation is taking place, before you even take into account the mastering engineer may well not be as good as Ludwig was.
    CD’s were worse, they were originally mastered from stereo master tapes EQ’d from vinyl, which has a completely different dynamic range, before you get into the whole shitfest that’s known as ‘the Loudness Wars’, where the record companies mantra was literally ‘everything louder than everything else’, Oasis’ ‘What’s The Story (Morning Glory)’, and Metallica’s ‘Death Magnetic’ being almost the definition of the process.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/dynamic-range-loudness-war

derek_starship
    Free Member

Then I won’t be putting my D50s betwixt the WiiM and my amp as, derrrrr, the output from the WiiM is analogue.

I need to check my spare inputs on the amp and go from there with my choice.

Thanks.

twonks

Not quite sure I follow Mr Starship.

The WiiM devices all put out analogue and digital but, the sound through digital with a good external DAC, like your D50 is a fair bit better than the WiiMs’ internal DAC.

Not sure if it is as big a difference with the WiiM Pro plus, but the other two for sure sound better with external.

winston
    Free Member

These days the best thing you can do if you have an older Hifi system is buy a Wiim mini or pro and run it into one of the many many budget pre-amp dacs on the market using optical. the pre-amp then acts as your digital source selector and you can also plug in your phone and computer. For instance my amp only has 2 sets of analogue inputs and no digital ones but thats no problem as I only use one of them coming straight from my SMSL M300SE Dac, Preamp. Plugged into that are 3 separate sources (WIIM , CD Transport, Computer or phone). The spare analogue input on my amp can then be used for a turntable if needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk9PiYreVBk  but there are loads of them out there that do similar

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.