Home Forums Bike Forum Help with loss of low speed compression on a Rockshox RCT3 damper

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help with loss of low speed compression on a Rockshox RCT3 damper
  • pinch_flat
    Free Member

SO I have a RCT3 damper in a pair of Rockshox Revelations and recently the low speed compression (controled by the small silver dial) has stopped working. I have checked the oil level and its fine, and I still get complete lockout but when I put the blue knob into its middle position I get no noticeable difference.
    I’ve stripped the damper and can’t see anything obviously wrong- the control screw still screws in and out and the small O rings all look to be healthy so I’m looking for advise on what could be causing it. Could it be possible that very bottom shim has been slightly bent out of shape by normal use? and thereby preventing proper action

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips or advice?

philfive
    Free Member

Message loco, he will help.

Superficial
    Free Member

The difference between the compression damping settings is pretty subtle. In fact I can’t really notice the difference with the fork in the car park. Take the lowers off and see how easy it is compress the damper rod in each of the various settings. That’s the only way I can really notice a big difference. Obviously it makes some difference on the trail but it’s not very easy to quantify this.

I’m trying mine with 15wt oil (instead of 5) – so far seems to have a much more usable compression damping range.

pinch_flat
    Free Member

I have used the forks for long enough to be able to tell that the low speed compression isn’t working. Before If I put maximum threshold on the forks would be virtually locked out, now it has no effect.

The heavier weight oil is an interesting idea, what’s the risk in doing this?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mine sometimes take a few strokes through the travel and a fiddle with the adjuster between settings to work.I usually just leave it in threshold setting.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hold old? less than an year warranty inspection maybe a good idea.

They won’t work very well with 15wt in the damper, 5 wt is fine for me at 14/14.5 stone and moving at a reasonable pace. 😉

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Its over a year old so warranty is not an option. It was all working fine for ages but now I cant seem to get it back no matter what I try Ive even stripped the damper and rebuilt it. Hence me wondering if its possible that I have some how bent/ deformed a shim- from my observations I take it the very lowest single shim is the one that controls the threshold?

pinch_flat
    Free Member

Just an update to help anyone else who may get the same problem as me.
    The cause was due to the bottom black plate that is fixed to the main body and forms part of the oil port system. It had turned itself slightly so the ports were no longer correctly aligned- the ports were partially open when they were meant to be in the threshold position and when in the open position meant it was slightly restricting oil flow when fully open but not restricting it enough when in the threshold position. Anyway the fix was really simple- just turn the black plate slightly (even though it looks to be a bonded part of the damper)

sterho1
    Free Member

Pinch i seem to have the same problem, well the grey dial is just turning the blue dial. is the same problem you had?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help with loss of low speed compression on a Rockshox RCT3 damper’ is closed to new replies.