Home Forums Bike Forum Help Resolve my Dilemma!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help Resolve my Dilemma!
  • kipling
    Free Member

I have a dilemma…but a nice one!

Wanted the new Jeffsy since they were announced, test ridden/mind blown etc…and finally time to get one.

I had wanted, and have saved for more expensive the pro race version, which is insanely nice…but I’m wondering if those of you in the know think the extra is worth it over the Pro version (3500)!?

For the extra you get Fox factory/better brakes/Fox seatpost rather than e13 and carbon cranks + wheels. I will love either, but cant make up my mind and hoping to order ASAP. Wondering all how you all would justify it….thank in advance!

Pro ..
    https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail/index/sArticle/2118/sCategory/509

Pro race
    https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/detail/index/sArticle/2116/sCategory/509

ta11pau1

Yes.

You do get a big spec upgrade over the CF Pro version, carbon bars, cranks, wheels, fox 36 grip2, dpx2.

I demo’d the 29 CF Pro race in XXL and was smitten, the best 29er I’ve ever ridden. If anything, the colours just don’t do it for me on the CF Pro version.

I’ll be waiting until they’re on sale though, they’ve got 10% off the 27 model at the moment.

DickBarton

Ultimately up to you as it is your money. Will the upgrades improve your abilities? Unlikely. Will they make the ride more enjoyable? Probably as you are wondering.
    I’m in a similar situation but decided the expense of the upgrades wasn’t worth it as I wouldn’t use all the extra toys, so settled on a cheaper price (still a lot though).
    My dilemma is which dropper to go for – Reverb or a cable-operated job that appears to be a Brand-X. I suspect a cable will need cleaned and lubed, but the Reverb is an extra 200 quid…

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve used my BrandX dropper for 18 months and have never touched the cable in any way. And that’s all off road amounting to 100km vertical.

JP

joat

You don’t have a dilemma, what you have is a quandary, which is a lot nicer.
    Yes, I know it’s hard spending money when you have it but only you know if you’ll regret not getting the better bike and whether you’ll notice the difference if you do. I’d say go for the best if you can, just to stop that niggling doubt, unless you’re a serial upgrader who’d keep swapping bits until it’s perfect.

jz123
    Free Member

Go for the pro race, if you’ve saved up and looked forward to that, then it sounds like you’ve earned it.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Yep, you’ve saved for the better spec, so just go for that :)

padavies66
    Free Member

Why does no one above consider replacement cost when specifying their bike. Maintenance WILL be more expensive on better kit. Check out the price of xxo Eagle cassette against a GX, for instance

ta11pau1

Well, none of the Jeffsy models have XX1 or X01, so there’s that… There’s nothing stopping anyone from replacing an XX1 cassette with a GX cassette.

weeboll
    Free Member

Have you got any real familiarity with the spec differences? My Occam came with fox factory and dpx2 kit. Will I really ever make use of the extra tunability – unlikely!

Gears wear out and can upgraded later

And don’t forget the extra travel of the pro race version, is that what you want?

Either way you cant go wrong but unless you know you need the extra spec and kit then maybe work out what else you can spend the cash on… Summer trip to the Alps for example

Gachet
    Free Member

If you can afford the top model, go for it as you won’t feel like you need to upgrade anything, so it could prove cheaper in the long run!

I’ve just checked the spec and the Pro Race has a better fork, shock, dropper and the carbon cranks and wheels. I really rate carbon wheels on a 29er for the extra zip and precision they give to the ride and I don’t find my Enve (a lot of people say they’re too stiff) ones harsh at all. I think the e13 ones now come with a lifetime warranty, but you’re best off checking the T&Cs.

The only thing to mention is the Pro Race is 11 speed with a wide range cassette, whereas the Pro is 12 speed, do I don’t know if that matters to you.

Gachet
    Free Member

Some reviews of the Pro
    Race I’ve come across:

First Ride Review: YT JEFFSY 2019 – Trail DNA or an Enduro Mutation?

Robz
    Free Member

I had the same decision to make and decided that it made more sense to buy the cheaper Pro, sell the parts I didn’t want (saddle, brakes, bars, stem etc) and buy replacement bits I actually did want (Hope, Burgtec and Fabric parts). I managed to offset a fair chunk of the cost of all the new stuff.

The Fox kit would have been nice but I am happy with the Rock shox stuff (will probs get a coil shock eventually though). I wasn’t that fussed about the Ethirteen carbon wheels and cranks, and ultimately to me the additional cost wasn’t worth it.

I am happy with my decision although the black/grey Pro Race with Kashima fox kit does look very nice.

Mine’s got a more BB8 white grey and anodised orange look going on.

joebristol

I’d probably go for the cheaper one because:

That candy red colour is lovely

I’m more familiar with maintaining Rockshox than fox

I wouldn’t fancy carbon wheels

I haven’t read great things about the e13 cassette on the higher model

I don’t think I’d notice enough difference in the suspension upgrade

I don’t like the Kashima bling on fox factory stuff

However if you do like the bling and can’t help but upgrade then buying the top model might make sense as it’s already got some amazing spec stuff on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help Resolve my Dilemma!’ is closed to new replies.