Home Forums Bike Forum help removing formula Cura 4 levers

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • help removing formula Cura 4 levers
  • turneround

Hi, Anyone done this. I need to replace a lever and got the main pivot bolt out no problem but cant see how to remove the lever adjustment bolt. its a 2mm bolt the moved the lever but i dont want to round this off by doing something wrong.
    cheers

lewzz10
    Free Member

I’ve done this. From memory (was a couple of years back) the reach adjuster threads through a cam in the lever blade. adjust reach out all the way, remove the knurled reach adjuster – then unthread completely and don’t lose the little threaded cam!

the00
    Free Member

You need to grip the knurled end, and use a 2mm hex key to turn the adjuster though it. It’s just held on with loctite.

the00
    Free Member

Why are you changing? Damaged levers or an upgrade? Just curious. I think there is a new adjustable lever for them

bruneep

I think there is a new adjustable lever for them

Ohh tell me more about this

the00
    Free Member
    sharkattack

While we’ve got some Cura owners in the house do we have any long term reviews? I’ve never even seen any in the flesh.

Are they fragile? Are they easy to bleed? Do they develop wobbly bits or howl when it’s wet?

Details near the bottom of this article…

I’m willing to wait for those if they make more power.

tetrode

I’ve had them on my bike since May. Haven’t had to bleed them yet but the power is amazing, there is some modulation but I’d say less than my sram guide rs bakes I had on my old bike. As of yet, I can’t fault them, they’re really great.

bruneep

Are they fragile? Are they easy to bleed? Do they develop wobbly bits or howl when it’s wet?

No
    Yes
    No

Getting spares can be a pain if needed as UK spares can be hard to source. Needed a new hose for new frame had to get from euroland

sharkattack

Are Geometron still the UK importer?

I’m starting to think I’ve persevered long enough with my Hope E4. I need something with more outright stopping power but I’m not buying leaky Shimano or plasticy Sram.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve had Cura 2 since they came out a few years ago. I have them on both my bikes now and have another set ready for my new build (when it eventually finishes!). Power is fantastic, as is reliability. Modulation is good, but I would say not as good as Hope or SRAM. I’ve not had to bleed them or do any maintenance on them at all. Used with Uber Bike race matrix pads which last a long while and dont squeel.
    Sets can be got from ebay for £225 inc rotors+PM adapters – bargain. This seller was my last set: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/kw570

Sui
    Free Member

Ooh a timely thread.

I’ve also had mine since April/may time. They are by far the best brakes I’ve had out of all the Shimano a and hope’s. Lovely, but different, lever feel, loads of power but with modulation and the more you squeeze the more you stop (I know this sounds daft, but it’s a revelation for me), also no wondering bite point! I had to change pads to Uber race matrix for Morzine trip, and I’ve no idea if related, but the outside pistons are now sticking and I can’t figure out how to get them out to clean them up… Any ideas?

I’ve popped formula an email through so will see what they say, but if anyone has any tips?

the00
    Free Member

I’ve been using some since January, coming from SRAM brakes.
    They are quite direct, powerful straight away, with less modulation than my previous brakes. They remind me of my old Saint brakes. I thought I liked that style, but it takes some relearning, and it’s completely blown the progress I was making with learning to manual.

On the trail they’re brilliant. I do notice some heat build up on big mountain descents (I’m talking Pila here), but better than the Sram.

Bleed is straightforward and consistent.

Parts are available, and they’re fully rebuildable.

Pads aren’t available from all brands, and they’re usually more expensive than ones for other brakes.

I am using 2mm thick 200mm diameter Magura rotors which have also been impressive.

There is some squealing when cold and wet, but soon goes after a couple of pulls. Nothing like Sram squeeling.

sharkattack

They do look promising. I also like the look of the TRP DH Evo but that’s another brake which is hard to find in real life.

I might just go full Italian because the Selva is also my top choice of new fork I think.

rugbydick

I love my Formula Cura 4. Brilliant brakes and tons of power – not quite as much modulation as my old Hope E4, but still good.

My only gripe is that the levers don’t adjust to come close enough to the bars for my liking. Interested to see if that new lever in the Pinkbike article is available as a retrofit.

the00
    Free Member

I just use the reach adjuster to get the bite point where I want it. It seems that is the part of the ‘reach’ that I feel, I never notice where the lever sits at rest, within a certain range anyway.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘help removing formula Cura 4 levers’ is closed to new replies.