• This topic has 630 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 631 total)
  • Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros
  • frazchops
    Free Member

Paul if you haven’t ridden it before I would push up the main path. There’s nothing crazy about it though, especially since the lower/middle section has been polished up a little but it’s always worth checking rather than riding blind I guess! Alternatively ride up Stank Glen and then hike up to the Bealach then head south to the summit, I usually would just do the up and down then tack a run if Stank glen onto the end. If you park at Kilmahog you can avoid the masses and ride up the fireroad to the path crossing, on you return on the cycle path there’s some lovely single track in the woods that’s a nice finisher. Sorry for the wall of text!

Sanny
    Free Member

Alternatively, you can ride up to the high bealach from Brig o Turk to the east of Glen Finglas which goes up a fire road that is 100% rideable. After that you traverse the northern shoulder to get to the summit. Descend via the main path then back via the most undulating cycle path ever. It is a hard pull for a cycle path!

It is a lesser known route but good if you want to maximise your climbing on the bike.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

frazchops

I saw the trail and was tempted but had to get back to Glasgow to pick my daughter up at three from school. Really great day out – Ledi and Finglas done and dusted by early afternoon. Not bad for February!

Sanny

bedmaker

Seems Tuesday was a popular day to get those early big hill rides in!
    No Munros for me, but a full Torridon round. Usually don’t get the chance until late March..
    Was so warm and totally free of snow, was half expecting midgies!

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

The route up from Brig O Turk is the best for pedalling, but it’ll add an hour or so to the round trip-especially if you take the undulating path To the north of Loch Venachar. I personally prefer the off piste descent from the summit down into Stank Glen, but each to their own!

Without going through pages is Ben Venue worth doing? I remember a Sanny article on the mag a while back but can’t find it. Is it a straight out and back or is a loop possible? Cheers!

Sanny
    Free Member

Yes to Venue. A little bit bitty at the top with a couple of walk downs but definitely worth doing.

A couple of ascent options. From the Katrine side, there is a good improved path that goes up to the saddle that is mostly rideable. We did that for the article as an out and back.

Alternatively, there is a big land rover track from the Loch Ard side at Forest Hills. It starts near Forest Hills at a big metal deer gate then climbs up to a shooting lodge. From there head east to join the walkers path that goes up to a saddle then heads north to the summit.

I like both options and reckon the latter is the better option as you can ride the technical footpath down to Loch Ard for the return.

Oh and yes, the Stank option is good too for Ledi.

Sanny

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Thanks guys, just been pouring over the map so have a good idea of options. Might just do an up and back first time but sounds like there are other interesting options for a return visit!

Cheers!

Sanny
    Free Member

Sorry. I meant west from the lodge. What a dumpling!

Sanny
    Free Member

While I am on, what does everyone have planned for this year?

Come on then, let’s be having you. Looking forward to being inspired!

frazchops
    Free Member

A few things in mind, certainly more revisits with the camera in the bag. Lochnagar/Kilbo/Corrie Fee, another shot at Binnein Mor sans 100mph gusts please!

I’m actually heading to Rosemarkie early next month and then Ullapool, I’d take any bikeable Munro suggestions onboard if you have any?

As for Ben Vane the descent is great down to Loch Ard but the FC have removed the boardwalk section so it’s even more boggy!

frazchops
    Free Member

Also has anyone ridden Gairich at Loch Quoich?

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve not done it but I know it has been done.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wee walk up Ben Chonzie yesterday, looks like one of the easiest munros to pedal all the way up to me, not techy descent either, if anyone just wants to ride a munro. Up the LRT, down the path off the front would be fun.

Paths going all ways at the bottom to, plenty riding around, and could also be paired with a sesh at Comrie.

Braw hill.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another one that I reckon woyld be ace, meall nan tarmachan (well, the first top of the munro, nameless, at 923m) as a wee addition to Ben Lawers, starts at same car park. Some absolutely pristine singletrack, flow tastic, and some meaty tight switchbacks at the top.

I’m keen.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Fraz I’ve done Binnein Mor twice. Once was the same, blown on our asses on the saddle. Secnd time was one of the most glorious days on a bike I’ve experienced and the views were amazing.

One of the best hills I’ve been on with a bike.

poltheball
    Free Member

I noticed Ben Hope was mentioned ages ago, has anyone ridden it?

Heading up that way in June, and keen to get up there with the bike!

poah
    Free Member

While I am on, what does everyone have planned for this yea

Ben Vrackie next week and then Mayar & Driesh in the next month. Will likely do Ben Chonzie to tick it off and quite fancy Lochnagar. Ben Ledi is also on the radar. If I can do another 5 munros plus any corbetts I manage this year I’ll be happy.

Sanny
    Free Member

Not a Munro but I rode the western fells on Arran on Saturday for an upcoming feature. It was mint. The descent via Coire Fionn Lochan was incredible. A bit of every type of riding in one very long descent. The scenery is pretty special too!

Highly recommended.

Sanny
    Free Member

So a return trip to Binnean Mor last Wednesday. I have to say that it was even better than I remembered it. Went up via the northern corrie which looks like it would be a cracking descent. Blue skies, dusty trails, stunning views.

Everything about the ride says epic. There is scope to properly hurt yourself if you make a wrong turn but it is one of the most rewarding big mountain rides out there.

I was riding it for a forthcoming sponsored piece for Canyon so expect to see it on the front page soon.

Bloody brilliant!

GavinB

Ridge

GavinB

Ridge

euain

I am not seeing your photos Gavin – get somewhere good?

euain

Cairngorms gold this weekend 🙂

Up a hill
    Still up a hill

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Macdui?

euain

Macdui?

Indeed, via Carn a’Mhaim

GavinB

Carn a'Mhaim ridge

It was a pretty good day!

molgrips
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

@GavinB
    – put the *whole* facebook link in, not just the bit until .jpg
    – you cannot post photos from your Google Photos, just link to albums.

GavinB

Think it’s sorted now, thanks. Forgot about the fussiness of posting images, as not done it in a while.

Great day out yesterday checking out an alternative loop of Macdui. Rode to Luibeg Bridge, then rapid H-a-B up Carn a’Mhaim being chased my hungry midges until around 800m. We weren’t super-early, so got the remnants of the cloud inversion, but still pretty impressive. Riding the ridgeline of Carn a’Mhaim with the clouds sitting below us in the Lairig Ghru was incredible. The riding itself was a little stop-start, as several small buttresses on the ridge interrupt the flow, but not too much.

The next H-a-B was a bitch! 500m vertical up onto Macdui, much of that picking our way through boulders. The descent back down to Glen Derry via the Hutchison bothy was superb, then we walked across the river near the broken Derry Dam bridge and rode the sublime singletrack down through the forest back to Derry Lodge and out from there.

smiley

devs
    Free Member

Spooky, I was on top of Beinn a Bhuirdh yesterday looking at Macdui with a different GavinB! Keiloch up to the Stack, then a climb up North Peak before the amazing descent down the main path. It was a grand day to be out in the hills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Superb sir, rode that with CaptainMainwaring a few years back, awesome stuff.

GavinB

That’s another belter of a descent. Rode that a few weeks back when we had some friends staying.

swavis

Aye, it was a super day out in the hills Devs 🙂

Sanny
    Free Member

Those pics are epic!

I rode Cairngorm at the end of July. Up Coire Na Ciste – an easy carry then down Cnap Coire Na Spredih. Midges like eagles!

swavis

It’s your fault I was up there Sanny, I’m sure it was your article years ago that got me thinking about Beinn a’Bhuird and how I’d never done it. Finally got round to it 😆

kcal

I was on Macdui yesterday too; on foot though. Tourist path up, round and down.
    Had I known devs & swavis were up further E I’d have waved (or semaphored).

Encountered one guy biking off Macdui heading N. Santa Cruz e-bike. Just the climb up towards Lurchers Crag would have tested me as a descent, and the traverse path along from Lochan Buidhe was mostly good with some off camber fine gravel. Descent off the Fiachaill would have done for me!

BoardinBob

Sron A Choire Gharbh on Saturday

Parked up at Clunes, rode alongside Loch Lochy then doubled back a bit to pick up the singletrack to the summit. Insane heat on the way up with no shelter at all. The ascent was all pushing or carrying but it was 100% rideable all the way down. I was dying with the heat as we neared the summit. Zero shade, ridiculously steep switchbacks, 30 degree sunshine. The descent was well worth it though

Waderider
    Free Member

On a short break, in the last few days repeated Mount Keen and Beinn a Bhuird, and Ben Avon for the first time. Tomorrow I’ve got another pass from the wife to get out on my bike again.

Has anyone biked the munros about Glen Shee east or west of the Cairnwell? How rideable is it? Any recommended routes?

I’ve done most of the other stuff in the area such as the White Mounth munros, all I’ve got left is these ones. Can’t decide whether to walk or bike, so some wisdom would swing it towards bike. Thanks.

LD
    Free Member

Cairnwell and Carn Aosda will be mostly rideable if a little messy. Used to be an uplifted run from Cairnwell but was rubbish due to landowner environmental rules.
    Ridge out to Carn a Gheoidh boggy from memory.
    Ok riding to/from Glas Maol and Carn o Claise (not biked but should be OK). Creag Leacach pretty rocky, probably not worth it.
    Best route is down ridge from Meall Odhar (half way up Caenlochan Poma) down to A93, long tarmac drag back to top though.
    Oh and Morrone down at Breamar is techy rocky goodness with a just rideable landrover track ascent! Can be made into a nice figure of eight with track to Loch Callater then back over hill/pass (Bealach Buidhe) to A93.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Good stuff LD!

@BoardinBob
    a few familiar faces there

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 631 total)

The topic ‘Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros’ is closed to new replies.