Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros

• This topic has 578 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by  Sanny.
Viewing 19 posts - 561 through 579 (of 579 total)
  • Help needed to put the mountains into mountain biking – riding the Munros
  • frazchops

Paul if you haven’t ridden it before I would push up the main path. There’s nothing crazy about it though, especially since the lower/middle section has been polished up a little but it’s always worth checking rather than riding blind I guess! Alternatively ride up Stank Glen and then hike up to the Bealach then head south to the summit, I usually would just do the up and down then tack a run if Stank glen onto the end. If you park at Kilmahog you can avoid the masses and ride up the fireroad to the path crossing, on you return on the cycle path there’s some lovely single track in the woods that’s a nice finisher. Sorry for the wall of text!

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Alternatively, you can ride up to the high bealach from Brig o Turk to the east of Glen Finglas which goes up a fire road that is 100% rideable. After that you traverse the northern shoulder to get to the summit. Descend via the main path then back via the most undulating cycle path ever. It is a hard pull for a cycle path!

It is a lesser known route but good if you want to maximise your climbing on the bike.

Cheers

Sanny

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

frazchops

I saw the trail and was tempted but had to get back to Glasgow to pick my daughter up at three from school. Really great day out – Ledi and Finglas done and dusted by early afternoon. Not bad for February!

Sanny

bedmaker

Seems Tuesday was a popular day to get those early big hill rides in!
    No Munros for me, but a full Torridon round. Usually don’t get the chance until late March..
    Was so warm and totally free of snow, was half expecting midgies!

The route up from Brig O Turk is the best for pedalling, but it’ll add an hour or so to the round trip-especially if you take the undulating path To the north of Loch Venachar. I personally prefer the off piste descent from the summit down into Stank Glen, but each to their own!

Without going through pages is Ben Venue worth doing? I remember a Sanny article on the mag a while back but can’t find it. Is it a straight out and back or is a loop possible? Cheers!

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Yes to Venue. A little bit bitty at the top with a couple of walk downs but definitely worth doing.

A couple of ascent options. From the Katrine side, there is a good improved path that goes up to the saddle that is mostly rideable. We did that for the article as an out and back.

Alternatively, there is a big land rover track from the Loch Ard side at Forest Hills. It starts near Forest Hills at a big metal deer gate then climbs up to a shooting lodge. From there head east to join the walkers path that goes up to a saddle then heads north to the summit.

I like both options and reckon the latter is the better option as you can ride the technical footpath down to Loch Ard for the return.

Oh and yes, the Stank option is good too for Ledi.

Sanny

Thanks guys, just been pouring over the map so have a good idea of options. Might just do an up and back first time but sounds like there are other interesting options for a return visit!

Cheers!

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Sorry. I meant west from the lodge. What a dumpling!

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

While I am on, what does everyone have planned for this year?

Come on then, let’s be having you. Looking forward to being inspired!

frazchops

A few things in mind, certainly more revisits with the camera in the bag. Lochnagar/Kilbo/Corrie Fee, another shot at Binnein Mor sans 100mph gusts please!

I’m actually heading to Rosemarkie early next month and then Ullapool, I’d take any bikeable Munro suggestions onboard if you have any?

As for Ben Vane the descent is great down to Loch Ard but the FC have removed the boardwalk section so it’s even more boggy!

frazchops

Also has anyone ridden Gairich at Loch Quoich?

Spin

I’ve not done it but I know it has been done.

Wee walk up Ben Chonzie yesterday, looks like one of the easiest munros to pedal all the way up to me, not techy descent either, if anyone just wants to ride a munro. Up the LRT, down the path off the front would be fun.

Paths going all ways at the bottom to, plenty riding around, and could also be paired with a sesh at Comrie.

Braw hill.

Another one that I reckon woyld be ace, meall nan tarmachan (well, the first top of the munro, nameless, at 923m) as a wee addition to Ben Lawers, starts at same car park. Some absolutely pristine singletrack, flow tastic, and some meaty tight switchbacks at the top.

I’m keen.

glasgowdan

Fraz I’ve done Binnein Mor twice. Once was the same, blown on our asses on the saddle. Secnd time was one of the most glorious days on a bike I’ve experienced and the views were amazing.

One of the best hills I’ve been on with a bike.

poltheball

I noticed Ben Hope was mentioned ages ago, has anyone ridden it?

Heading up that way in June, and keen to get up there with the bike!

poah

While I am on, what does everyone have planned for this yea

Ben Vrackie next week and then Mayar & Driesh in the next month. Will likely do Ben Chonzie to tick it off and quite fancy Lochnagar. Ben Ledi is also on the radar. If I can do another 5 munros plus any corbetts I manage this year I’ll be happy.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

Not a Munro but I rode the western fells on Arran on Saturday for an upcoming feature. It was mint. The descent via Coire Fionn Lochan was incredible. A bit of every type of riding in one very long descent. The scenery is pretty special too!

Highly recommended.

Premier Icon Sanny
    Subscriber

So a return trip to Binnean Mor last Wednesday. I have to say that it was even better than I remembered it. Went up via the northern corrie which looks like it would be a cracking descent. Blue skies, dusty trails, stunning views.

Everything about the ride says epic. There is scope to properly hurt yourself if you make a wrong turn but it is one of the most rewarding big mountain rides out there.

I was riding it for a forthcoming sponsored piece for Canyon so expect to see it on the front page soon.

Bloody brilliant!

Viewing 19 posts - 561 through 579 (of 579 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.