Home Forums Bike Forum Helicopter taping a frame

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Helicopter taping a frame
  • coconut
    Free Member

I’m about to start Helicopter taping a brand new frame, first time for me, any good tips ? I have watched a few videos and they recommended to go easy on the water spray. How hard is it to lift if you get it wrong ? How long on average to cure ?
    thanks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Depends a lot on the tape. If it’s the stuff invisiframe use, I’d say it can never be too wet.

richmtb

Have you bought the tape? There are some generic frame protection kits that do a good job without being much more expensive than a couple of metres of helicopter tape

ossify

I found it takes a bit of practice to find the right amount.

Too little, it sticks quickly and can be hard to reposition.
    Too much, it doesn’t stick at all at first and slides around until you’ve sqeegeed the water out for a while.
    Get the right balance and you have a few seconds to position it before it starts to stick, then you sqeegee to seal it down.

Also some people recommend adding a drop of baby shampoo to the water, if you do this it’s literally a tiny drop that’s needed.

The edges and corners can be a little hard to get to stay down if they’re wet but just aim your hair dryer there to dry it out a little (a little!) and it’s fine.

That’s another point – have a hair dryer with you! Makes it much much easier, warming it while you’re applying makes it more flexible and easier to smooth down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The edges and corners can be a little hard to get to stay down

Take a wee bit of time to radius corners, it looks better and won’t lift as easily over time.

fasthaggis

Take a wee bit of time to radius corners, it looks better and won’t lift as easily over time.

^^This every time, did a frame yesterday and good prep is half the battle.

dc1988

A cloth/sponge to absorb the water that you’ve pushed out from under the tape helps as does a hairdryer if you need to help certain bits stick down a little faster. I make a small pen mark on some bits of tape to mark the centerline to make it easier to get straight.

And patience, take it slow and steady and perhaps set aside a few days to do it so you don’t try and rush the lot in one go.

coconut
    Free Member

I have purchased a 3m length of Heli Tape to start off with an see how I get on. Happy to look at easier products if anyone can recommend any ? It’s a brand new frame so nice and clean etc.

pipm1
    Free Member

I put an invisifilm generic hardtail kit on my bike on Saturday, I didn’t use any water. I just stuck it on & it looks good. I’ve used rolls of copter tape previously & also never used water.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Helicopter taping a frame’ is closed to new replies.