Home Forums Chat Forum haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)
  • haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃
    molgrips
    Free Member

I had an N95 and experienced none of the issues you describe :)

sc-xc

Well, yeah, they’re an expensive item

😂🙄🙄🙄🙄 I’m not talking about physically protecting the phone, I’m talking about the fact that some people are getting so defensive and argumentative about the particular brand of phone that they prefer.

DickBarton

Given the amount of phones that are plugged in at work, it seems music playing still kills the battery on phones – the N95 was just the same for its time.
    I had one and it was decent… didn’t play much music but everything else you mentioned worked for me (although I managed to not need flash often so wasn’t a big issue for me).
    Sorry, felt I had to defend the N95 for some reason!

Sandwich

TBF WAP on N95 was slower than a pig running through treacle backwards. Compared to my work phone at the time the N95 always felt a bit fragile.

metalheart
    Free Member

Anybody experienced the overheating issue as reported on the Pro or Pro Max?

https://www.macworld.com/article/2083659/iphone-15-pro-overheating-thermal-system-design-software-update.html

Asking as seriously considering ordering an upgrade within the next week (and this is a bit off putting)…🙃

bensales
    Free Member

No issues here. But then I’m a grown adult who doesn’t sit scrolling Insta-tok for hours on end.

Drac

Nope known here even on prolonged use.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks.

Sounds like overheating my help cure my (adult) insta scrolling habit🤪

stevious

Had mine since yesterday and a few things have struck me

– The transfer process from one phone to another is really good now. I did it while hanging out with my 2yo, and it more or less just did its thing in the background while we built duplo.

– New action button means I can take photos with my gloves on. Sweet.

– The ‘always on’ screen will take some getting used to.

prettygreenparrot

‘Always on’ screen is weird. Getting used to it.

Phone is heavy and triple camera lens array is … inelegant.

But I can at least read text on it without my glasses. An improvement over my iPhone 12 mini.

timmys

No sign of any heat issues, seems to be an Instagram bug.

Always on is much better with background image turned off IMHO, so it’s just a nice black screen with clock, widgets and notifications.

mattyfez

sit scrolling Insta-tok for hours on end

To be fair, Father ted, scrolling web pages is a very low power acivity… if you are using a crappy browser like Safari?

Have you considerd Opera?

mattyfez

That said, my Ipad (I didn’t buy it I bought it for may nan but then she died) seems to inexplicably get a flat battery some times.

It’s like it doesn’t have a proper sleep mode, it’s either on or off, regardless of whether the screen is on or not.

bensales
    Free Member

I just turned the always on screen off (it’s in display settings). Couldn’t see any advantage for me. If a notification comes in, the screen lights up anyway. And I don’t want/need a permanent clock.

bensales
    Free Member

To be fair, Father ted, scrolling web pages is a very low power acivity… if you are using a crappy browser like Safari?

Proper scrolling, like wot da kids do, using the apps and watching video clip after video clip is a huge power suck.

Old people scrolling their Facebook feed in a browser isn’t.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Old people scrolling their Facebook feed in a browser isn’t.

what about old people scrolling this forum? This place is always asking for more storage, takes ages to load, massive amounts of advertising. It’s as thought STW have teamed up with Apple 😀

stevious

One other observation – I keep getting ads for the new iPhone on… a new iPhone. Either a testament to apples privacy settings or an example of how crap targeted ads can be 😀

oomidamon

I’ve had my 15 Pro for a couple of weeks now and I ordered a Quad Lock MagSafe case for it. It doesn’t charge using the Apple magsafe charger, which is annoying. I’ve queried it with QL but their customer support seems hopeless. Anyone else had this issue?

jim25

My iPhone 11 pro won’t wireless on any charger if I have my thin official apple case on. I think it just direct contact to the charger; which wouod be plugged into the same usbc  lead the phone needs….😂

Wireless charging like keyless cars, totally pointless

Drac

Not had a single issue with mine, it’s an impressive upgrade from my 11 especially the camera. 

Superficial
    Free Member

I exclusively use wireless MagSafe charging through a proper Apple MagSafe leather case. It’s great. But you do have to pay extra for a compatible case, annoyingly.

zilog6128

I bought an ESR MagSafe case for about £12, it’s just as good as the official Apple one I had with my previous phone!

Really pleased with my 15 PM so far, no issues, massive upgrade from the 12P (non max) I had before! Battery life is awesome. It’s also not that much bigger or heavier really. Noticeably much lighter than my neighbour’s 14PM (he claimed he couldn’t tell the difference but I think he was just jel 😂)

CountZero

Anybody experienced the overheating issue as reported on the Pro or Pro Max?

No, nor any of the other issues reported, which don’t seem to be widespread, but it’s difficult to tell, three instances out of several tens of millions of phones will be all over the usual internet suspects instantly, Tom’s Guide in particular. The battery seemed to run down fairly quickly to start with, but apparently that’s a natural consequence of the phone having to completely check through all of its system libraries and file systems, it settled down pretty quickly.

Having gone from a 14 PM to a 15 PM, I can’t say I’m noticing a significant difference in weight, tbh, neither much of a difference in comfort when holding it, lots of reviews bitched about how the 14 was uncomfortable because of the sharp edges, but as my phones have been in a case since the 4G, because Apple gave me a free one, and I realised it did make a difference, I just didn’t notice.

I think the USB-C port is a bit more substantial than the Lightning port, there’s less movement when I’m wearing headphones, which is noticeable. Cameras are good, the Portrait mode allowing the DoF to be adjusted in post-processing is neat, I’ve used that a few times, and the little white/yellow line to show when the photo is properly horizontal/vertical has been a long time coming, and that I use all the time.

Can’t think of anything else, at least nothing that I actually use. Mine’s the Midnight Blue, the first iPhone I’ve had that’s not been black or white, and I love the colour, but the phone’s in a clear Rinke case*, so I can see it.

Good cases, those, I’ve had them on several phones, they’re a good price, they have a lanyard attachment, which is crucial, and a cutout with a raised edge around the cameras, and a 9H glass protector fits in there perfectly. The glass screen protector I bought is excellent, it’s not got any black edges, nor has it got a little notch on the top, so it makes no difference which way up it is, which makes fitting it a cinch.

*I don’t bother with MagSafe, I’ve got nothing to charge it on, and can’t see the point in spending out on one.

zilog6128

@CountZero the “action button” is the other main physical change, most people seem to have configured it as a camera/shutter shortcut.

MagSafe for phones was a game-changer IMO, couldn’t imagine not having it now! How are you securing your phone in a vehicle? One of those clunky docks with the adjustable grippers, like a caveman? 😂 Magnetic, wireless power-banks are also awesome for when out & about.

oomidamon

QL’s response is “In Apple’s latest iPhones they have adjusted the minimum distance at which charging coils connect which has been causing some inconsistencies with 3rd party charging” Which sounds to me like “we’ve released a product which only works with our charger, soz.”

Sandwich

MagSafe power packs FTW on long days out. Phone goes in glovebox in the car and wireless CarPlay does it all. No toucha da phone when driving.

timmys

QL’s response is “In Apple’s latest iPhones they have adjusted the minimum distance at which charging coils connect which has been causing some inconsistencies with 3rd party charging” Which sounds to me like “we’ve released a product which only works with our charger, soz.”

Sounds to me as though Quad Lock have managed to make a case that is not compatible with the Qi2 wireless charging open standard then.

MagSafe for phones was a game-changer IMO, couldn’t imagine not having it now! How are you securing your phone in a vehicle? One of those clunky docks with the adjustable grippers, like a caveman? 😂

I’d say the caveman route is having use a car mount in the first place! As above, use CarPlay and put the phone out of sight.

oomidamon

Sounds to me as though Quad Lock have managed to make a case that is not compatible with the Qi2 wireless charging open standard then.

Agreed, which is annoying as I have a few QL mounts. I’ll get a refund on thi case and buy a non-MagSafe version.

Drac

MagSafe for phones was a game-changer IMO, couldn’t imagine not having it now! How are you securing your phone in a vehicle? One of those clunky docks with the adjustable grippers, like a caveman?

In the centre console as I don’t need it while driving. 

molgrips
    Free Member

I have no thoughts on the phone but I have to say the advertising material is shite. Normally Apple are classy, if basic, but this time they seem to have allowed vendors to plug it but they have mandated they say ‘Aerospace grade titanium!’ every time they mention it.  Which makes it sound like some dodgy Amazon crap.

zilog6128

Which sounds to me like “we’ve released a product which only works with our charger, soz.”

yeah QL have **** up somehow. I’ve got a (cheap) MagSafe case which works perfectly with multiple genuine & 3rd party MagSafe chargers.

I’d say the caveman route is having use a car mount in the first place! As above, use CarPlay and put the phone out of sight.

that is fair! 😂 Unfortunately I don’t do the stereotypical STW thing and get a new car on tick every year, will probably be a few years down the line till I change it, but next vehicle will have CarPlay for sure. (MagSafe still great tho for other reasons!! 😀)

Sandwich

Hey not all of us have new cars. Mine’s on a 65 plate positively 3rd world in this place. 😄

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How are people getting on with their 15 pro max ?

is the camera a justified upgrade? For those going from a smaller size phone how do you find the extra size? I’m just concerned at fitting in cycling pockets etc

Finally I need to be on EE unfortunately deals don’t look great at the minute. It’s currently cheaper to buy the phone from Apple and sim only from EE rather than go as a package. Has anyone managed to get a good EE deal?

mrchrispy

id pretty much plumb for getting it direct from apple and sticking a sim in.

I was nearly stung by EE with the last price rises, I was paying £49/month on a phone deal but the ‘inflation+whatever’ price increase was pretty rude. wouldnt have minded so much if it was just on the SIM price but they include the phone payments which is really a sunk cost…its a bit naughty to include that.

timmys

Finally I need to be on EE

Need to have a contract with EE or need to have a SIM that uses the EE network? Obviously these are different things and may open up more options for you.

Personally, I think separating hardware purchase from SIM/contact is always going to advantageous from a financial and flexibility perspective.

hot_fiat

Love my 15pro max. 5x optical zoom is a welcome addition & can’t really detect the extra size over my 12pro. I think the glass is a bit softer though as I’ve picked up some minor crazing from it being in my backpack that I never saw on my 12 after many years.

zilog6128

Love my 15pro max. 5x optical zoom is a welcome addition & can’t really detect the extra size over my 12pro

wrote a whole thing but the site ballsed up and cba to re-type. But yeah, essentially this.

Pauly

Just changed from an SE to a 15 Pro. Quite the difference! Was concerned about the size change but it’s no bother, just a little heavier. The Max would have been too big for me as not trouser pocket friendly.

Love it though, especially the camera.

zilog6128

The Max would have been too big for me as not trouser pocket friendly.

it’s absolutely fine, unless you wear painted on jeans!

hot_fiat

IMG_7643The active top bar thingy is lush. If you order a taxi on Uber or AirPlay something you get itsy witsy little icons telling you what it’s up to. 

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.