Home Forums Chat Forum haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)
  • haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃
  • momo

Sticking with my 14 proMax but my old series 4 watch was on it’s last legs, new Ultra 2 being delivered tomorrow.

dartdude
    Free Member

Okay MickeyF, fine continue to waste loads more on marketing product.

I just roll with laughter at thought you couldn’t back up your comment whilst continuing to purchase Apple products.

zilog6128

new Ultra 2 being delivered tomorrow.

nice, was v tempted especially seeing as Costco had (slightly!) discounted them already… not quite pulled the trigger yet tho… my Series 3 is still trucking along 😂

CountZero

10x Optical on the Samsung S23 Ultra and it’s ace, 100x digital. Pretty bloody amazing.

100x digital. Fine. Or, you could just take a 10x photo, and crop it to the area you want. Because 100x digital zoom will not be bloody amazing. Except in your head.

And please don’t try arguing otherwise, I worked with Photoshop and high-end image scanners for years in print pre-press, I know a fair bit about image resolution, etc.

Samsung use a 200Mp sensor. Fantastic, until you consider just how tiny that sensor is, and to have a 200Mp array. The best digital camera sensors are made by Sony, who also make, or used to make, the ones used by Apple. Their 1” sensor was/is 48Mp, it’s performance in the dark is astonishing, I’ve seen a full-colour video shot by moonlight, the thing is, the pixels are large, and create very little digital ‘noise’, but that Samsung sensor will create a large amount of ‘noise’ in low light conditions, and will require a great deal of processing to create a reasonably clean image.
    Apple’s new camera uses different technology for the zoom – unlike the Samsung, which has a long lens path, which is why the lenses are stacked one above the other on one side, the Apple lens is a trapezoidal shape, with a stepped light path, which is very much more compact, and fits into the same space as before. This is new technology, and can and will be improved on.

Just don’t be fooled by bullshit claims about 100x zoom; open an image taken under those circumstances, in a good image editing program, and it will be complete rubbish.

The ISOCELL HP2 packs 200-million 0.6-micrometer (μm) pixels in a 1/1.3” optical format

Yeah, 0.6 micrometer pixels, but I’m not sure what 1/1.3” actually means; I make it a fraction over one-third of an inch, so 7.62mm, with that many pixels, gonna need a shit-ton of processing in low light to get any kind of decent image.

The only disappointment with the Pro Max is that it still only has a maximum of 1Tb of storage.
    blimey, what’s all that for then?

Mostly music, because trying to stream music anywhere other than at home is rubbish. There are plenty of places I go where two bars of 3G is the most you’d get, walking home from town, with headphones on, and there’s three streets I walk along, getting on for a kilometre, where the player just stops dead, because a large proportion of what’s in my phones library is still in the cloud.

Currently, my music library is 560.94Gb, my TomTom app uses 1.71Gb, my photos app is 6.24Gb, and my ViewRanger app 3.14 Gb. I had to offload my UK Map app data, because that is 30.79Gb, so with the other apps I’m using 634.48Gb out of 1.02Tb

CountZero

Okay MickeyF, fine continue to waste loads more on marketing product.

I just roll with laughter at thought you couldn’t back up your comment whilst continuing to purchase Apple products.

Grow up, anyone who knows the history of Apple, and the development of Android knows full well that Android was intended to be a knock-off of phones with a built-in keypad and a small square screen above, but running Android 1.6. Sound familiar?

Then Jobs introduced the iPhone, and the then boss of Google, who was actually on the board of Apple, was watching the presentation. He had his car turned around and was on the phone telling his people, ‘we’ve got work to do’. And by a strange and spooky coincidence, Android phones suddenly became full-screen glass rectangles with a OS that looked remarkably like iOS.

Considering the huge number of adverts I keep seeing on telly from Samsung trying to flog a hugely expensive folding phone, that is unlikely to last a couple of years without the screen cracking in two, and which previously had loads of issues with dirt and dust getting into the back of the screen, you seem to be quite ok with people wasting loads on marketing products, just so long as it’s Samsung and Android.

Methinks, my friend, you doth protest too much.

Oh, and Apple were the first to introduce USB connectors on computers, and their engineers were involved with the USB organisation when USB-C was being developed, and if it hadn’t been for Apple, USB-C would have been an unholy mess utilising the worst of USB-Mini, Micro, and other rubbish. It’s still a complete mess, with one hardware interface and at least half a dozen different implementations of its functions, where a cable can just charge, or carry data, or carry data at different speeds, charge at different speeds, the list goes on, because there’s no firm standard. At least with MFi branded cables, you are absolutely certain that a cable will work with an iPhone.
    Anything else, unless you scrutinise all the small print, you’ve no idea if a cable will work with any given device. You could end up spending out on a Thunderbolt 4 cable which just doesn’t work properly with most devices, or at least, not the way it’s designed for, but it’ll still fit the hole.

That’s another thing, the USB-C port is very susceptible to damage, I’ve seen three or four expensive Samsung tablets written off by people bending the ‘blade’ inside that carries the contacts, or else the contacts were ripped off the surface. Two of them were nearly new, at over £600 a piece.

molgrips
    Free Member

Calm down @CountZero you sound like a right git at times :)

stumpy01

I do feel that some people can take this stuff a bit too seriously! :)

Sensors/pixels/image processing blah blah. 99.999% of users don’t gives a crap about any of that. Is that a good pic, or not? Yes or no? No one cares if it’s good because of a low-noise sensor & fantastic optics, or whether it’s having the absolute nuts processed off it, with image stacking, exposure bracketing & God knows what else.

USB-C connectors – I honestly can’t believe people can give so much of a shit over what type of connector a device has.
    I’ve got stuff with micro-USB, USB-C & even that older connector – is it mini USB. Sometimes you might not have the right cable & it can be a minor inconvenience, but I find that happens very rarely, and hey life goes on.
    Regarding reliability, We’ve got or have had 7 or 8 devices with USB-C & have not had an issue with any of them. Nothing. I plug my phone into my car virtually every day to run Google maps or Spotify, so the connector gets a decent amount of use and…….hey, it just works.
    I would hypothesise that the people who consistently damage/break connectors are a bit cack handed. Even my 7 year old daughter can plug her (non-apple) tablet in to charge without borking the connector.

Drac

Anyway.

I’m going to have to wait until the next stock arrives as Currys have sold out, my voucher code didn’t come through until yesterday.

stumpy01

#prayfordrac

Drac

It worked. They had some stock when I looked, my Pro will be here tomorrow.

Thanks

pictonroad

What colour did you get? Mine’s not coming for ages, wonder if it’s because I ordered the silver one? I don’t actually care what colour it is, damn it.

Drac

Blue only that and white were left in stock to order. Wanted black but quite like the blue, it won’t matter too much as it’ll have a case on anyway.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Natural tit pro should be here about lunchtime.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Can we say tit legitimately now 😁
    Blue Tit Pro max. Few delivery stops away.

I await Apple to harvest my data using the decryption key they haven’t got 😉

spectabilis
    Free Member

I care about optics / sensors etc in my proper cameras why not on a camera equipped mobile ? Get the best possible info at source is always the best way.
    The thing with the computational stuff is it generally looks ok on the screen of the device it was generated on but looks like dog shit if you want to print it.
    manufacturers bullshitting really puts me off. “Digital zoom”🙄

timmys

Black Tit Pro – I’m delivery number 78 – driver is only on number 17 :(

dirtyrider
    Free Member

anyone upgraded via EE Upgrade Any Time? I have it on my account for a £0 cost, I’m aware it will extend my contract for another year, but I’m not coming off plan anyway, so may as well use the option, however, these are the options, mine is full working, but it’s a year old, it’s not pristine, but the glass isn’t cracked, but  it’s scratched as I don’t like cases so run it caseless

timmys

I would take a chance and tick fully working, but manage your expectations in that they’ll probably charge you something when they check it. Note I’m speaking with no knowledge of the EE system, more in general from my experience with phone recycling outfits.

stevious

One of my favourite types of discourse on here is when someone goes off on one about an operating system. I’m not being ironic or snarky here, I genuinely enjoy people being very detailed in supporting their opinion on something and IT stuff seems to bring that out in people.

Anyway, I ordered the natural Ti one and it’ll be a couple of weeks til it arrives. I’m trying to be cool about it.

stumpy01

Drac

It worked. They had some stock when I looked, my Pro will be here tomorrow.

Thanks

Happy to help! :)

bensales
    Free Member

Very happy with my natural Ti (because it matches my bike) that arrived this morning, but as usual it’s slippery AF so going to have to case it’s titanium goodness.

zilog6128

it’s slippery AF so going to have to case it’s titanium goodness.

ta, was wondering whether the Ti improved that at all, obviously not!! I see JL & Amazon have discounts on some of the official Apple cases, just ordered the clear to show off that raw Ti swag 😂

bensales
    Free Member

It’s better than the previous stainless steel, but for me still too slippery to risk it.

Shame they discontinued the leather cases as I’d always used those.

winston
    Free Member

Is it just me who prefers stainless steel to titanium?    Doesn’t titanium scratch easily? Plus somehow the heft of the steel ones feels more robust. I don’t think I’ll be swapping my 13 pro just yet.

matt_outandabout

Well mrs_oab is rocking her new 13 mini due to this thread and a (seemingly 24hr sale only) daft deal from ID Mobile on the day after the 15 was launched…

Robz
    Free Member

Blue Pro Max arrived this afternoon and I’m very happy with it. Going to see if I can run it without a case for a change.

It’s definitely more comfortable and less slippery to hold than the previous stainless steel iterations.

Drac

Mine has arrived this morning when I was out. All setup now, screen is bloody good, camera seems impressive but need to play some more with it. I find it very slippery though so when the case arrives it’ll be going on.

seriousrikk

Go on then folks, talk me into/out of the max.

I am properly concerned about living with a phone much bigger than my 2020 SE and it’s 4.7 screen… was gong to punt for the Pro but I am really drawn to that camera in the max.

Thing is, a lot of the time, I’ll ride with my phone in my shorts pocket. Seems like that will be very noticable with a max. Decisions. Probably end up waiting a bt so I can have a feel of them both.

MSP

There are still some decent quality alternatives available, belroy, mujjo etc.

drlex
    Free Member

@seriousrikk

how about spending less and getting a 13 mini?

-happy owner of a 13 mini, former SE owner (OG & 2020)

If not, this review (albeit from an Apple pundit) is useful when considering pro versions – https://daringfireball.net/2023/09/the_iphones_15_pro

CountZero

There are still some decent quality alternatives available, belroy, mujjo etc.

TBH, I’ve never considered any sort of fancy case made of leather or whatever, the nearest was an Otterbox, but I never got on with it, so I went for a generic clear silicone one, and I’ve stuck with them. I’ve already got one ready for my 15 Pro Max, along with a couple of glass screen protectors, I don’t think I paid more than about £20 for both. One thing I make sure of though is that the case has a lanyard fitting on the side, I have a lanyard with a quick release buckle on it, I loop the other end around a belt or belt-loop, and I never worry about the phone slipping out of my pocket and going walkies. then. If I need to use the phone further away than the lanyard will reach, I can detach the phone, or if really necessary, I can hang it around my neck like a regular camera.
    It’s worked well with the last three phones I’ve had. I just don’t see the point of spending £50-60, which I’ve seen some cases costing, made of some sort of whizzy ‘ballistic’ material! 🥴

Sandwich

@seriousrikk If my experience today is typical Pro Max delivery has slipped to late October on Apple store. A case and glass cover are a very good idea, Spigen for toughened glass and similar for the case.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I had the OG mode iPhone, then I jumped on to the OG HTC Dream & Hero bit on Apple since, I’ve never ran a case, why? because I’ve not watched a keynote where they introduce a the phone in a case, I just don’t get it, they are not designed to be cased, the cases are just an upsell and you’re just missing out on what the designed,

why bitch an moan about no redesign, square edges etc etc when your wrapping it in 3″ silicone or leather

CountZero

@dirtyrider – there’s lots of periferals and accessories Apple don’t mention in the keynote, hell, there’s lots of things actually built into the iPhone hardware and software, so are you going to ignore them just because Tim doesn’t talk about them? Seriously, are you that dim?
    And how about the fact that Apple make and sell their own cases for the iPhone; please, explain that. Apple, as always, give you options that you can take or leave, but your position is, quite frankly, bloody stupid. Yes, there are those obsessed enough about the appearance and feel of an iPhone that they refuse to put a case on, and then whine about the beautiful finish being spoiled when they drop it. They’re idiots.
    Anyway, there have been comments about the lack of 3.5mm headphone jacks,,and proprietary connectors: here’s a review of the very first Android phone. Guess what, the headphone connector was a bastard version of a USB micro port that required a dongle in order to use a pair of headphones or earbuds. And you criticise Apple! #rollseyes.
    https://www.androidpolice.com/t-mobile-g1-15-years-later/?utm_source=flipboard&utm_content=topic%2Ftechnology#headphone-jack-hellip-not

dirtyrider
    Free Member

are you ok Countzero?  seems like you have a lot of pent up energy,

tell me, what’s the point in the colours, the design features, it’s not about obsession, it’s about using the device as it was designed,

why do they make cases? simply revenue, did they even do official cases before the 5/5S?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

about a year  ago I bought an Apple leather case for my 11pro. Not that impressed

It bleaches the colour of the case gets at all wet,  it scratches easily. And has taken ages to loose it’s slippery feel

much preferred my cheapo rubberised cases

Kuco

Was tempted by the new 15 but looked at what I use my 11 for and decided to stick with that for now.

Decided to trade in my series 7 watch for the 9 which I use a lot more than my phone.

DickBarton

I’m not sure there is much ‘design’ in a smooth, thin rectangle with glass covering 1 side and some glass (camera lenses) and metal on the other. Unsure there is anything worth seeing unless you tend to brag about showing off the latest purchase…
    I’m happy to stick a cover on my phone as it adds a bit of additional shock protection – given how smooth and slippery phones seem to be now, I need something to grip so I don’t launch my phone across the room or trail when I try to answer a phone call. The smoothness isn’t helped by the size of phones these days…smaller seem less likely to fly out a hand (well, my hand)…

sc-xc

Just skim reading this, but **** my life…people get very protective and worked up about phones!

CountZero

why do they make cases? simply revenue, did they even do official cases before the 5/5S?

Yes, Apple did. Due to the so-called ‘antenna-gate’ issue. I never had an issue with that, which was with the iP4, because of the way I held the phone, but because Apple kindly produced a simple clear plastic case and supplied it to owners for free, it seemed rude not to take advantage of it.
    I’ve still got the phone, and the case. It was very simple, but worked perfectly. So does the phone, apart from the glitchy Home button. Lovely little phone, but it’s so SMALL! 🔬😁

Just skim reading this, but **** my life…people get very protective and worked up about phones!

Well, yeah, they’re an expensive item*, and unlike a desktop computer, they get carried around in pockets and are very prone to getting dropped, and subsequently damaged. Nothing Apple, or anyone else for that matter, does about toughness and breakability can alter the fact that bare metal edges and exposed glass will suffer from being dropped onto rough concrete, tarmac and gravel if unprotected.
    I don’t care to spend lots on a case, it’s there for one purpose, and one purpose only – to keep the phone in good condition, and to allow a lanyard attachment to avoid dropping it, and to avoid loss. Simple as that.

I don’t care about aesthetics, only that the case is cheap and effective. I certainly wouldn’t be coughing up for a leather case, it’s going to be pointless when I change the phone anyway.

And hopefully my replacement 15 Pro Max will be available for me to pick up tomorrow. It’ll go straight into a case as soon as it comes out of the box – my O2 contract allows me to change my phone at any time, so keeping it in good nick is important. It also meant I got £300 for my old iPhone 11 when I traded it in against the 14 Pro Max – it looked almost new, after three years, and the bloke in the shop said so.
    I am a bit protective about expensive stuff I own, but why not, it was expensive!

*I had a Nokia N95, I bought it after reading quite a few reviews, and it had a lot of features that would be useful. Unlocked, those phones were around £350, quite a lot of money then, 2007. They were also a useless piece of shit! None of the functions they had they were any good at; call quality was terrible, the speaker buzzed when people were talking, the 5Mp camera was terrible, it wouldn’t focus on my bikes about five feet away, it wouldn’t focus on a 70’ sailing ship in Bristol harbour with nothing else around, and the GPS wouldn’t work with the handset keypad closed up, it required a BT receiver to function. And trying to use the internet was useless as well, if you tried to install apps, it wouldn’t let you use them without installing Flash, but Adobe never, ever produced a mobile version of Flash, so there was never anything to install. It had a music player, but the battery would die after three or four hours…

And that was a £300 phone. People are spoiled now, it’s almost impossible to buy a bad mobile phone or smartphone, it’s down to tiny details between them. Perhaps people should be forced to live with junk like that in order to develop a sense of perspective.

Here’s an article about it, it was raved about at the time, because of its features, and maybe I just got a bad one, but honestly it was crap. Read this and be thankful for what we have.

https://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/the-n95-the-brilliant-smartphone-that-almost-brought-nokia-to-its-knees-1236059

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.