Home â€ș Forums â€ș Chat Forum â€ș haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 206 total)
  • haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) 😃
  • kelvin

Apple store worked fine, but I’m sure twitter/X is a bastion of factual reporting and my experience is an outlier.

Are you UK?

Twitter X is international (not that I’ve looked on there for weeks now) and I strongly suspect the UK Apple site is quieter than others
 most Brits get their handsets from carriers still. Well, the data said they did back when I did work in that sector
 and anecdotally it still seems true.

pictonroad

Yep UK and i bought it through the apple store app not an online store.

Probably bots or aliens.

kelvin

Forgot that app existed! Smart move.

Drac

Curry’s sold out of Pro Max so going to have to wait if I go for a max.

redsnail

Yep, thinking about the new Apple iPhone 15. I have a 13 which is great and was a brilliant upgrade from the X.

The new iWatch is tempting too. I’d like the Ultra but at 49mm, that’s rather large for my wrist.

matt_outandabout

I avoided a stooshie over ordering the 15/whatever, but mrs_oab has a shiny iPhone 13 Mini on the way before they disappear

CountZero

I pre-ordered mine from O2, because I’m on their Swap-up program and can just exchange my 14 Pro Max for a 15. I had to go to Bath, though, because some bright spark decided to close the Chippenham store on Tuesday until the 26th for refurbishment. Pre-orders started at 1.00 pm, for collection on the 22nd – I got down there at around 2.45, and mine will be available for collection on the 26th!

The new iWatch is tempting too. I’d like the Ultra but at 49mm, that’s rather large for my wrist.

I had a look at the current Ultra, and it’s not much different in size to my Seiko SPORK dive watch, except it’s square-ish. Certainly no bulkier.

The only disappointment with the Pro Max is that it still only has a maximum of 1Tb of storage. â˜č

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Anyone gonna risk it with no case? Titanium and all that 😂 Would definitely help to slightly counter the size of the Max!

It’s not all made from titanium though, only the outer frame, and the back is aluminium, unless I have misunderstood?

timmys

Anyone gonna risk it with no case?

Nope and Apple logistics very on the ball – case ordered alongside phone yesterday afternoon has already arrived!

IMG_5433

thebunk

The only disappointment with the Pro Max is that it still only has a maximum of 1Tb of storage.

blimey, what’s all that for then?

the-muffin-man

The only disappointment with the Pro Max is that it still only has a maximum of 1Tb of storage.

Only x4 times more than a MacBook Air then! :-)

zilog6128

Installed the new iOS17 update on my 12Pro. Loads of really nice functional updates. The ability to now differentiate cats/dogs in Photos is extremely impressive (can tell the difference between 3 which are quite similar).

Standby mode is great, one of those “why has no-one done this before?” features.

Visual & live voicemail both very nifty (although you have to set your region to US to use it right now) although don’t get a huge volume of voicemails these days!

not tried the new Adaptive Transparency mode for AirPods yet but that also sounds real good.

mattyfez

Standby mode is great, one of those “why has no-one done this before?” features.

Is that like ‘battery saver mode’ thats been on android for years already? see also USB-c

mashr

Is that like ‘battery saver mode’ thats been on android for years already?

No. iOS battery saver that’s been around for years is like the battery saver mode on Android

Standby is more like turning a Kindle Fire into an Echo Show (from what I’ve read)

mattyfez

Standby is more like turning a Kindle Fire into an Echo Show (from what I’ve read)

like a screen off mode? for listening to audio books etc? also old technology.

matt_outandabout

*looks at his 2017 Android phone with extreme battery saver, battery saver and normal mode*

It has
and I think I am right in saying I have had Sony phones with it on for about a decade?

maccruiskeen

blimey, what’s all that for then?

4k Pro-rez video is about 250gb / hr

mashr

like a screen off mode? for listening to audio books etc? also old technology.

No it’s not. You’re really trying hard to bash a phone maker here though eh?

stumpy01

jam-bo

Cropping a zoomed out photo has worse quality than properly shooting it, otherwise everything would just have a single wide lens and crop the balls off it

unless you shoot in raw on the pro, you only get a 12MP image from a 48MP sensor. So there is plenty of leeway for crops.

I could be wrong, but think that the cameras on most phones use pixel binning, where pixels are combined to give better quality/low light performance.
    So, in standard pic mode the most a 48Mp image can output is 12Mp, as it joins squares of 4 pixels together into a single pixel in the final image.

There is no leeway to crop, as all pixels are actually used.

Some cameras have a mode where it will take a 48Mp image, but the ones I have seen normally look worse than the 12Mp version. I guess if they have a RAW mode, that will also be the full 48Mp image (no binning).

pictonroad

I need a case and can’t afford the apple offerings. What’s the go to option at £20?

still otterbox?

mattyfez

I don’t even know what that is supposed to mean, lol, you mean like a black and white ‘low power’ reading/audio only mode, also old tech?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/use-standby-mode-iphone/

Feel free to continue the bashing it’s all quite funny.

mashr

I don’t even know what that is supposed to mean, lol, you mean like a black and white ‘low power’ reading mode, also old tech?

Again, no. There’s an old tech thing called Google (you should be familiar with it) that could help you here

mattyfez

There’s an old tech thing called Google (you should be familiar with it) that could help you here

CBA, the thread title states ‘haters assemble’.

I’ve assembled ;-D

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Life is too short to hate bits of technology use or don’t use it’s quite easy.

winston
    Free Member

I have had Poetic Guardian cases on my last two phones (Iphone 13 Pro and a Samsung ) and they are pretty good. Come with two fronts, one ’empty’ and the other with a built in screen protector. i use the empty one normally and the bullet proof one when doing something outdoors

mattyfez

Life is too short to hate bits of technology use or don’t use it’s quite easy.

Indeed, I have an Ipad, the screen is pretty good but the proprietary cable is a real pain in the ass, as is the locked down operating system.

I wouldn’t buy another one.

Nice screen though, but I’m sure any mid/high end android tab would have just as good a screen at the same price point.

kelvin

Nightstand mode on the watches is great. If StandBy is like that and more for phones, it’ll be popular.

matt_outandabout

I need a case and can’t afford the apple offerings. What’s the go to option at £20?

We have ‘cheap’ Spigen or Caseology cases in the house on other phones – of the cheap Chinese cases they are good for fit and protection it seems.

jam-bo

I need a case and can’t afford the apple offerings.

quadlock.

but I’ve never understood this. spend £1000 on a phone and then a decent case is too expensive?

mickyfinn
    Free Member

as is the locked down operating system.

I agree on the cable but they’re being forced to see sense (well my pro had USB-C already)
    The locked down OS is exactly the point though Apple make devices (overpriced or not) for (the average) consumers, they have a closed hardware and OS ecosystem to try and ensure the customer has a solid and stable experience. Do they always get it right, of course they don’t but their stance on security and personal data should be applauded.

zilog6128

as is the locked down operating system.

I hear this sometimes, don’t really know what is meant by it though. I think half the time the people saying it don’t really know what they mean either 😂 I grew up coding 80s micros, still very much have the “hacker” mentality, believe me if I needed to do something with an iPhone but couldn’t because it was “locked down” I’d be the first person complaining.

I know there are no heroes or “good guys” when it comes to big-tech but Apple are head and shoulders above everybody else (Google, Amazon, don’t even mention the big Chinese firms 😬) when it comes down to what actually matters i.e. data security & privacy. I guess most people are either too proud to admit they’ve been backing the wrong horse all these years, or just plain don’t understand the issues

dartdude
    Free Member

Apple concerned about data security and customers privacy.

Wow I’ve heard it all now đŸ€Ł

Loadve bs products marketed for the mass sheeple.

Never did understand why they cannot even master the art of a decent camera or battery longevity.

Maybe the boffs at Apple data collection HQ are draining iPhone users batteries by spying on them.

Anyway icgaf. Here’s to my latest £130 hand set which is better in every way.

Oh and iOS compared with Android đŸ€Ł this coming from someone always used to Apple till recent year or so.

dartdude
    Free Member

Though I hear it’s titanium in colour oooooahhhhh Cantona! 

😜

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Apple concerned about data security and customers privacy.

Wow I’ve heard it all now đŸ€Ł

Loadve

Well we’ve certainly heard that you haven’t a clue what you’re talking about that’s for sure.

Superficial
    Free Member

Jeez some people take thread titles a bit literally.

molgrips
    Free Member

I guess most people are either too proud to admit they’ve been backing the wrong horse all these years, or just plain don’t understand the issues

Or perhaps we value different things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of combinations of those ideas have been around for ages. I used a night clock app loads of times. On a Samsung Flip you can put all sorts on the little back screen and you don’t even need a stand, it stands up on its own!

So yeah, nicely done but not revolutionary.

mjsmke

Hasn’t Samsung had a periscopic lens for 3 years?

Sandwich

Somebodies foil hat appears a bit tight!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.