Home ā€ŗ Forums ā€ŗ Chat Forum ā€ŗ haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) šŸ˜ƒ

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)
  • haters assemble (iPhone 15 launch) šŸ˜ƒ
    Drac

By god they must have made a fortune over the years with their proprietary cables and dongles and now everyone gets to replace them all over again.

Iā€™ve several devices at home that use USB C, including Apple, so I wonā€™t be replacing any.

SSS
    Free Member

I have an 11 and Mrs SSS has a 13. Nothing ive seen makes me go ā€˜i must have thatā€™. I normally buy Mrs SSS a new phone and i get her old one.

The 15? Marginal gains ā€“ faster processor weā€™re unlikely to notice, a slightly better camera yawn, titanium over stainless whatever, different colours woopty doo. Highly unlikely to ever need the satellite callingā€¦.

Wait for the next one.

Am thinking of going over to Android though. I did try it back around iphone 6/7, but didnt like it that much. I found the IOS user interface much nicer to operate and more intuitive to use. Maybe give it a try again.
    I do like the idea of the Zflip phones as i dont really want a slab of a phone.

jimdubleyou

The battery on my 12 Pro is getting close to 80% of original, and itā€™s worth Ā£300 trade in to Apple. From past experience, this will be about the best value trade in / battery life balance ā€“ so Iā€™m getting a 15 Pro to replace the 12.

I was tempted by the Pro Max, primarily for the fancy camera, but Iā€™m not ready to give into increasing myopia and buy a mini tablet to carry around just yet.

fossy

5x zoom, is that it. Pah.

10x Optical on the Samsung S23 Ultra and itā€™s ace, 100x digital. Pretty bloody amazing.

Drac

10x Optical on the Samsung S23 Ultra

At Ā£250 more then a 15 pro it better be good.

jam-bo

100x digital. Pretty bloody amazing.

ENHANCE!!

DickBarton

The satellite calling appeals to meā€¦spending more time in the hills and the outdoors, Iā€™m slightly m,ore aware of mobile phone blackspots, so having something that would work seems like a good idea.

Iā€™ve a Garmin InReach which never gets used, so Iā€™ve cancelled the sub and Iā€™m going to sell it onā€¦I think Iā€™ll get a Bullitt satellite communicator (or the Motorola Defy Satellite communicator as it is Ā£150 for the year including subscription ā€“ which makes it far cheaper than the Garmin and can be used by any phone with bluetooth).

We do appear to be at the end of the big updates for mobiles and everything is now smaller improvements. Saying that, Iā€™m still against the every increasing size of devices. Iā€™ve a Pixel 6 and it is massive. It is good to use, but it would be better if it was 5-6mm narrower and shorter ā€“ with a 2mm thicker design to take a decent capacity battery ā€“ I get 36 hours out the battery, but 2 clear days would be far better. Suspect Iā€™m a minority case though.

Speeder

Iphone 12 mini here and itā€™s pretty much perfect size (and weight) wise ā€“ thereā€™s no way Iā€™m going to ā€œupgradeā€ to a phone thatā€™s so much bigger.

ampthillFull Member
    Apparently only 3% of iPhone 13s were minis. So they are history

i donā€™t get it ā€“ thatā€™s still a hell of a lot of phones. I understand focus but surely thatā€™s just filling a niche.

the-muffin-man

100x digital. Pretty bloody amazing.

Pah! Jack Bauer had that donkeys years ago! :-)

jam-bo

The satellite calling appeals to me

its not satellite calling. its a text based service to emergency services.

doris5000
    Free Member

Iā€™ve been mulling over getting the equivalent iPhone 15 or whether to jump ship to Samsung. Iā€™m tempted by the ZFold5.
    Anyone gone from IOS to Android and been ok with it?

I went from IPhone to Samsung to OnePlus. Android is generally decent; in some regards I prefer the UI, though you are kind of throwing your lot in with google. One thing that annoys me with Samsung is that it comes preloaded with a load of apps you canā€™t remove ā€“ like Facebook FFS! You can ā€˜disableā€™ it but not uninstall it. My OnePlus has been much better and Iā€™ve been really happy with it.

DickBarton

Yeah, text via satellite serviceā€¦Iā€™ve clearly used the wrong terms, but I meant calling the satellite service, not calling to speak ā€“ but that isnā€™t at all clear in my post ā€“ complete sense in my head, but that is like Steptoeā€™s Yard at the best of times anyway! :-)

5lab
    Free Member

most of the modern improvements in pictures on your phone is just AI making up stuff that simply isnā€™t there in the photo. eg the thread here

https://www.theverge.com/2023/3/13/23637401/samsung-fake-moon-photos-ai-galaxy-s21-s23-ultra

jimdubleyou

Android is generally decent;

I was tempted by the Nothing phone(2) ā€“ but the ā€œstick with what you knowā€ vibes were strong when itā€™s Ā£630 and the iPhone 15 is net Ā£700 to me.

molgrips
    Free Member

Satellite texting would be a huge draw for me. Could save your life one day. I hope it comes to Android as I donā€™t think I can deal with the faff of moving over.

Drac

most of the modern improvements in pictures on your phone is just AI making up stuff that simply isnā€™t there

NASA used the same technology for the moon landings in 69. Itā€™s nothing new.

DickBarton

@molgrips ā€“ the new Motorola Defy 2 phone has it built inā€¦I think a few others have it and more are getting itā€¦it is a brilliant idea.

Edit ā€“ Defy 2 isnā€™t available yet ā€“ https://motorolarugged.com/en-gb/motorola-defy2/

Drac

Just realised for another Ā£60 I haves a pro max.
    Tempted.

bob_summers

I went Android to Apple for the 13 mini as no-one else seemed to do a small (ie fit in the gel pocket of my running shorts) phone. Now it seems thereā€™s zero demand for them :(

not everyone has access to a recharging solution dailyā€¦

I remember when they were called plug sockets!

simon_g

Will this mean the 13 mini will get cheaper?

Itā€™s gone. There were some on the refurb store but now theyā€™ve gone too. Grab one from remaining stock somewhere like John Lewis if you want one, I think the price there has dropped (Ā£604 for 128gb, Ā£714 for 256gb) but I donā€™t know if thatā€™s just currency price changes.

Iā€™ve normally replaced every 2 years, sell on the old while itā€™s still worth something. But Iā€™m actually still very happy with my 13 mini, so I think Iā€™ll give it another year.

We must be due a new SE design at some point, they normally get released in spring, a faceID/USB-C one would probably be more tempting than a 15 for me.

steamtb

We are happily stuck on the iPhone 11; does everything we want really well, great battery life, perfect size and we paid very little for them. Definitely a sweet spot for us :)

Kryton57

iPhone 13 miniā€™s on sale here: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/search-results/13%20mini

Great phone IMO, perfect fit for a cycling jersey pocket.

nickc

We must be due a new SE design at some point, they normally get released in spring, a faceID/USB-C one would probably be more tempting than a 15 for me.

Iā€™m 2020SE and not interested in any bigger really. Also hoping that it gets updated in the next 18 months or so. Although a cheap 13mini may also do as well I guess.

matt_outandabout

iPhone 13 miniā€™s on sale here: https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/search-results/13%20mini

Great phone IMO, perfect fit for a cycling jersey pocket.

Cheers ā€“ but I can get one on generous contract with Vodafone or ID for less than the handset alone ā€“ and Vodafone will support battery for 3 years I gatherā€¦

Bruce

Can I just be indifferent?

Can never get excited about another bit of technology thatā€™s slightly better the the previous version.

Sorry if I have blasphemed against the cult of apple.

maccruiskeen

I remember when they were called plug sockets!

I remember when plugs were called plugs and sockets were called sockets. Think is was this morning.

Are plug sockets like hand gloves or foot socks?

Drac

We are happily stuck on the iPhone 11; does everything we want really well, great battery life, perfect size

If size if an appeal the 15 is smaller than the 11. Obviously theyā€™re not cheap though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Re the 15 max camera x 5 zoom. Iā€™m hoping what I have read is wrong, but Iā€™ve read that the lense to x 2 is just that ie from 0 to x 2 but the x 5 lense is is fixed x 5 and the phone uses digital jiggery pokery to get from x2 to x5

I am hoping thatā€™s wrong and itā€™s a true optical x2 to x5?

Im still going to wait I think until the smaller size pro gets x5

Kramer
    Free Member

The satellite emergency text appeals to me. Hopefully Iā€™d never need it, but itā€™s definitely a ā€œnice to haveā€ for me.

kelvin

the phone uses digital jiggery pokery to get from x2 to x5

Thatā€™s how the above mentioned Samsung x10 zoom works. Wouldnā€™t be surprised if this is the same, a fixed focal lengthā€¦ looking at how periscope lenses this small function.

zilog6128

Yeah Iā€™d be very surprised if any lenses like this actually contained any moving parts. Why does it matter anyway šŸ¤”

binners

Still running my iPhone XR with no need to upgrade but do quite fancy a 13 pro max now as theyā€™ll undoubtedly be discounted.

Just go on Facebook Marketplace. All the people who will immediately upgrade as soon as a new phone is out will be shifting their previous phones (13 and 14 Proā€™s) on for a few hundred quid

My phone is basically just a camera with some other useful stuff attached to it and the camera on the 13 Pro is amazing

sirromj

Are plug sockets like hand gloves or foot socks?

Hand gloves. Wired to cables cable.

Sandwich

Yet again my teeth were itching due to the over use of ā€œitā€™s our best thing everā€. Who releases something worse than itā€™s predecessors (Win 8 excluded)?

5lab
    Free Member

Why does it matter anyway šŸ¤”

Cropping a zoomed out photo has worse quality than properly shooting it, otherwise everything would just have a single wide lens and crop the balls off it

zilog6128

Cropping a zoomed out photo has worse quality than properly shooting it, otherwise everything would just have a single wide lens and crop the balls off it

they already do a huge amount of processing for every photo (as you yourself have already pointed out). Each photo is a potentially a montage of different images, taken at slightly different times possibly, and with different lenses. So if you think what youā€™re seeing is the ā€œrawā€ image, it isnā€™t, at all. The end result is that for 99% of people it will be a better photo than from using a dumb camera, however snazzy it is. If youā€™re a purist who for some reason cares about these things why are you shooting with a smartphone anyway šŸ˜‚

Anyways, order is in!! Anyone gonna risk it with no case? Titanium and all that šŸ˜‚ Would definitely help to slightly counter the size of the Max!

stevious

Spotted on Twitter that the preorders have made the Apple Store site fall down. Is it the digital equivalent of queuing around the block?

jam-bo

unless you shoot in raw on the pro, you only get a 12MP image from a 48MP sensor. So there is plenty of leeway for crops.

primes and optical zooms are great but I havenā€™t touched my ā€˜realā€™ camera since I got a 14pro.

kelvin

EE store also being smashed by this today.

pictonroad

Apple store worked fine, but Iā€™m sure twitter/X is a bastion of factual reporting and my experience is an outlier.

logged on at 1:20, ordered a phone and it was instant, given they went live at 1pm Iā€™m not sure what the issue isnā€™t. Just checked still working. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

(In before the hate ā€“ Iā€™m not a release date fanboy, we keep our iphones in the house for 8yrs! My partnerā€™s 8 has just this week broken so we need a new one, given how long theyā€™re in service for I wanted to get a USB c phone as thatā€™s clearly the future standard)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 206 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.