Home Forums Bike Forum Hardtails rule? Critique my options…

• This topic has 90 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by a11y.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Hardtails rule? Critique my options…
  • seadog101

I have the Pace RC627.

It’s fantastic.  Although it’s pretty Long Low and Slack, it handles brilliantly going up hills, and is limited only by my skills going down.

The tires I have are larger than they say you can go, 2.8 on 40mm rims, Pace say 2.6 on 35mm

I do want shorter cranks though as I’m getting a lot more strikes than my previous RC 127, which has a slightly higher BB.

tomhoward

@legometeorology, very stable, but still turns on a sixpence. You seem to ride it much more with your hips, almost like skiing.

Pedal strikes haven’t been any more of an issue, the BB is in the same ballpark height as a sagged enduro FS, plus running 165mm cranks and skinny pedals helps.

legometeorology
    Free Member

running 165mm cranks and skinny pedals helps

@tomhoward
    , that’s the key I guess

I run a pretty low bb on my bike, more by accident than choice, and I definitely wouldn’t want to the bb any lower (it’s 80mm drop I think, with rigid forks)

I’m running double sided spds and 175mm cranks though (and want to keep the latter as it’s single speed)

tomhoward

@legometeorology iirc you’re in Leeds? If every you’re near LUBP, drop me a PM and you can try it for yourself.

hurricane_run

A Squatch and a Moxie are lurking in our garage. They are very similar in terms of geometry and intended IMO for the same purpose, but they are different in terms of flexibility. Son’s Moxie has a 160mm fork and SS possible sliding dropouts which are pulled in to run a 27.5 on the back. My Squatch has a 130mm fork, lower BB and gear only dropouts; no flexibility in terms of fork length, mulleting or SS.

Both are bike park red trail weapons. A bimbler like me approaches blacks like Peter Ebdon anyway so a bouncer would be pointless.

honourablegeorge

a11y

I have a BigWig frame sitting in my Wiggle basket (currently reduced to £330, plus the cheeky £20 postage). Was seeing it as a cheapish way to a steel frame that ticks many of my boxes, but the comments above are stopping me hitting the buy button.

Have you seen the Hardtail Party review on the Ragley frames? He did both steel and alu, think he preferred the alu.

My son has an MmmmBop, been very impressed with it.

mashr

but he still gave the BigWig a very good review too

didnthurt

Although not on your list. For context about steel being springy. My On-one Hello Dave is the stiffest bike I’ve ever ridden. There is no noticeable flex anywhere! Very capable though but would not recommend as a do it all bike.

legometeorology
    Free Member

thanks @tomhoward, that’s a really kind offer

tbh I’m mostly an XC and long-distance slogger nowadays so I’ll likely not be heading that way for a while, but if things change I will def give you a shout :-)

honourablegeorge

mashr

Oh yeah, he really liked both. Ragley make good stuff.

a11y

Have you seen the Hardtail Party review on the Ragley frames? He did both steel and alu, think he preferred the alu.

I hadn’t seen the review. The Big Wig looks a lovely frame – that lollipop paint job is lush – and good geometry, but I’ve decided its a bit too conservative for me compared to my other bikes (I’m spoiled by ridiculous LLS with my G16 and Nicolai).

Highly likely this thread will result in the end of me owning my alu-framed Norco HT 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.