Home Forums Bike Forum GX jockey wheels unseize or replace

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GX jockey wheels unseize or replace
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

hiya, quick question… i’m am doing my annual strip and rebuild of my bike and the GX jockey wheels feel super stiff. replace? inject with grease? any viable aftermarket alternatives?

Ta!

frogstomp

If the teeth are still in good condition I replace the bearings (626-2RS I think).. easy enough to press out with the right sized socket and you can push them back in by hand normally. Buy decent, branded replacements to prolong the life though.

fatmess
    Free Member

Get a couple of 6 x 19 x 6 bearings preferably stainless steel and replace. around £2.50 each. Exactly what i done and back to perfect

13thfloormonk

Replace with the NX equivalent!

I pressed new bearings in and they seized as well (CX racing is a harsh mistress). NX jockey wheels are good old fashioned bushings and have outlasted two sets of GX jockey wheels.

Superficial
    Free Member

My routine is douse the bearings in some sort of penetrating oil (GT85 or similar) to thoroughly wash the gunk out, then pack with grease and refit. IME they do seem to respond well to this treatment.

New bearings is probably easier, and by the sounds of things quite cheap.

z1ppy

I would note that NX jockey wheels don’t fit GX (11spd). Just get some bearings, they can be pushed in by hand & pressed out with a socket

Tracey

We used these, usually buy a few at a time for the extra discount

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360617561104?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Many thanks! Perhaps should have mentioned it is for 12 speed eagle gx

ampthill

I bought some push ones from super star components

MadBillMcMad

Lest I forget

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

The superstar alloy wheels are lovely, better than Hope IMO

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I would note that NX jockey wheels don’t fit GX

On a 12-speed GX cassette cage, you just have to grind down the top wheel mount and they work fine. Did this to my cage over a year ago and have had no problems with my NX wheels.

13thfloormonk

I would note that NX jockey wheels don’t fit GX (11spd)

Fitted mine just fine? Is a 5 year old setup though, don’t know if the 11 speed kit has changed much? (knowing SRAM they’ll have changed it specifically to stop people fitting cheaper jockey wheels 🙄 )

Kryton57

The superstar alloy wheels are lovely, better than Hope IMO

Agree although my current ones – can’t remember if they are superstar or not – are narrow wide. Don’t get the those, every now and then the chain skips over them and seats incorrect causing a very annoying rumble as it tracks along the wrong teeth.

smallspinsized
    Free Member

Mine seized once. Soaked in WD40 overnight then repacked with grease. Been fine for a couple more years.

whatgoesup

Mine were stiff and semi-seized, and not shifting very well so I cleaned them out and regreased them. There was a bit of play in the and Still shifted poorly.

New jockey wheels and it shifts lovey again now.

The old ones weren’t very worn (the plastic bits) so I’ll put some new bearings in them as above and have them ready for next time SRAMs frustrating decision to put small precision bearings in such a mucky place on the bike causes them to size up again.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GX jockey wheels unseize or replace’ is closed to new replies.