Home Forums Chat Forum Greenhouse positioning

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Greenhouse positioning
  • rsmythe
    Free Member

Hi all,

I have found no clear answer from various gardening websites so I’ll ask a real person on here!

I’m looking to grow some tomatoes and cucumbers this summer and I have room for a little 4×4 greenhouse on my patio. My garden points SW but I am reading on some websites that it will get too hot? Others say the more sun the better…

I could actually fit a bigger lean-to green house if it goes over one of my windows (the window would open into the greenhouse). I don’t actually mind that idea but is there any technical reason why I shouldn’t do that?

Cheers,

R

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It is easier to have full sun and then add shade than to have not enough sun and try and heat/light it.

There is that green woven mesh that takes out a lot of the heat plus simple things like putting bowls of water inside to evaporate work as long as you have vents for to stop condensation.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Also, as long as the green house was vented, you don’t mind looking at the plants through the window and there are no planning constraints then a greenhouse against a window should also work, just call it the Orangery and you should be fine

rsmythe
    Free Member

just call it the Orangery and you should be fine

haha yes, I was thinking this. Cheers for the advice, WCA 👍

djambo
    Free Member

No such thing as two much sun in my opinion. I just have a rolled up piece of horticultural fleece on the south side (held up with bulldog clips) that i can roll down for shade if it gets mega hot. Worked well last year (our first with the greenhouse).

rakas

Venting is paramount; a bit of air flow will strengthen the plants before they start to put fruit on. Personally I’d go for full sun but lime-wash the glass to cut down the light intensity if the plants get a bit leggy 👍

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Greenhouse positioning’ is closed to new replies.