Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Graphic novels – recommendations please
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, Mrs North's (younger) brother seems to be increasingly getting into reading graphic novels.

I figured I might as well buy him a couple for Christmas, but this is a genre about which I know nothing..!

So, any recommendations?

Thanks

😀

Dave
    Free Member

The Filth

nickc

I'd say like most things go for authors rather than just "genres"

Start with Frank Miller (Dark Knight, Killing Joke, etc etc) and Alan Moore (Watchman, V for Vendetta).

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

depends what he likes. Graphic Novels are as diverse as anything else. I have a penchant for collected 2000AD works like Nemesis the warlock, Slaine, Strontium Dog, ABC warriors and Bad Company, but then I'm old skool.

It would be hard to beat The Dark Knight Returns IMO.

Coyote
    Free Member

Had a quick flick through Watchmen in Waterstones the other week and was mightily tempted.

matthewjb
    Free Member

The Dark Knight Returns is great.

But if he's already a fan of graphic novels he's probably read it because it's the one everyone recommends.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

True.

Gotham by candlelight is good too, as is the one where he fights dracula – can't remember the name of that one.

ourmaninthenorth

OK. I *think* (this is bad, I need to pay more attention) that he already has Watchmen and V for Vendetta.

Not sure about Dark Knight Returns. I'll do some digging.

Cheers

samuri
    Free Member

Watchmen is good.

MrAgreeable

It's a really broad church. Graphic novels are pretty synonymous with superhero-themed stuff that draws on classic comic heritage, like Frank Miller and Alan Moore, but there are plenty of "alternative" types too. Some of these people like Dan Clowes and Charles Burns deal in pretty dark and twisted subject matter, while some like James Kochalka and Jeffrey Brown tend to keep it pretty twee and light-hearted.

The best shop in the UK for comics and grpahic novels is probably Page 45 in Nottingham. They are super-friendly, have an encyclopaedic selection, and it might be worth just finding out what he is reading at the moment, then giving them a call and seeing hwhat they'd recommend.

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers Mr A. Really useful.

Gunz
    Free Member

I'm a real fan of the Sandman series and its Lucifer spin off. Constantine is very dark and thoughtful too, quite different from the film.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Fables.
    Transmet.
    Sock Monkey.

Saccades
    Free Member

2nd vote for Slaine, some stunning artwork in the later ones – but the earlier ones give more humour.

He didn't think it too many.

mtbfix

I like Neil Gaiman's stuff. Not your typical graphic style but good stories. His 'normal' books are good too.

Earl
    Free Member

All the good ones have been mentioned above.

Watchmen
    Sandman and spinoff Death High Cost of Living

Repeated reading stuff. The latter 2 are expecially good if bro is a bit emo.

There is some stunning painted artwork in the older Daredevil/Elektra ones circa 1990

brick
    Free Member

Preacher
    The Invisibles
    Other Alan Moore aside from the obvious – Supreme, Top 10, Tom Strong
    I really like Mike Mignola too – Hellboy and BPRD.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I love Daniel Clowes stuff but it's not trad graphic novel stuff. If he hasn't got Watchmen (everyone should own a copy) or V for Vendetta start right there.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Just read Frnak Millers Batman Year One and the Dark Knight Returns. They are most commendable.

Dave
    Free Member

Walking Dead
    Deus Ex Machina
    100 Bullets
    Scud the Disposable Assassin

ourmaninthenorth

Woosh. That's the sound of so many titles passing straight over my head.

It seems that a part of the zeigeist has gone right by me.

OK, I shall form a list, and see what's what.

A nice adventure – cheers all.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Charleys war

MtbCol
    Free Member

I'm going to throw a curve ball here and suggest something different.

Manga.

The art is completely different, mostly black and white pen and ink stuff, but some of the stories are top dollar.

I would recommend some older stuff to start off with, and for extra niche, try and get hold of some original Japanese stuff (read right to left with the spine on the right)

Here's a few suggestions;

Guyver Bio Booster Armour.
    AD Police
    Appleseed

And my personal favourite – Spriggan (Striker in Western format)

TooTall
    Free Member

Ronin by Frank Miller. Stunning and not as widely read as it should be as it has been around for aeons.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I used to have a bit of a graphic novel habit when I had disposable income but I have recently(ish) discovered my local library has a good range while the county as a whole has a great range of titles available.

BoardinBob

Currently working my way through

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Avengers

Excellent stuff

flyingmonkeycorps

Ok – assuming you want "grown up" stuff:

Maus, From Hell and Blankets, in addition to some of the other stuff up there (especially Sock Monkey, Preacher, Transmet, Sandman).

It also depends on whether you want something from an ongoing serial or something written as a self contained novel.

But yeah, Maus, From Hell and Blankets. Roman Dirge and Jhonen Vasquez are worth a look if he's into dark humour too. But they're probably best for angsty goffiks.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

There's 2 or 3 Batman/Judge Dredd ones that are pretty good.
    "We can do this the hard way or the easy way"
    "Hard suits me fine"

AdamML
    Free Member

I'd second aflyingmonkeycorps' recommendation of Maus.

Also, The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks is very good, or Volume 1 of his Saga of The Swamp Thing.

Basically anything by Alan Moore, but not Lost Girls if you don't want to get into trouble with your Mrs…

flyingmonkeycorps

Haha I've read book one of Lost Girls, it's amazing! Can't beat pervy old men writing comics

IanMunro
    Free Member

1977 Beano annual is pretty cool.

AdamML
    Free Member

@flyingmonkeycorps I've not read any of it, but a mate bought the Absolute Edition (I think) and nearly got thrown out of his house 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

The Complete Alan Moore Future Shocks

Oh wow, really? i loved future shocks in 2000AD
    woohoo amazon – £7.59 minemimeminemine

atlaz
    Free Member

My favourites of the more normal kind are:
    Watchmen (obviously)
    Crossing Midnight
    Sandman

On a less "comic book" sort of level
    Pyongyang or Perseopolis for a good story
    Maus or Palestine are VERY serious

ChrisL

I'd agree about the Sandman. Preludes and Nocturnes is the first book in the series. Death: The High Cost of Living shares the setting (and some characters) but is a standalone story.

I have generally liked Warren Ellis's stuff – Transmetropolitan, Planetary and Global Frequency, anyway. All 3 are multi-book stories so again make sure you get the first of them if you're getting them. Global Frequency is collected into only 2 books and is made up of shorter stories that aren't tightly connected so it's less important for it than the others, though.

Fables is another great series. Legends in Exile is the first collected set of these.

robgarrioch

Loved 'The Hobbit' version illustrated by David Wenzel – 1st published 1991. The artwork really suits.

walla24
    Free Member

dark tower trilogy- stephen king…epic

jond
    Free Member

On the Manga front – how about Akira ?

(I'm not a big graphic novel fan, despite loving Marvel as a kid, but a mate lent that whilst I was in hospital some years back and I was rivetted..)

westkipper
    Free Member

John Wagner is best known for Dredd and Strontium Dog, but his most interesting work is Button Man ( and its sequels)
    Wagner and artist Arthur Ranson created a downright brilliant cold blooded killer in the shape of Harry Exton- totally recommended
    The Last American by Wagner, Alan Grant and Mick McMahon is also great, and prefigures in some ways Cormac McCarthey's The Road, except that in TLA 'even the cannibals are dead'
    If you can find it, Metalzoic, by Pat Mills and Kevin O'Neill is one of the best GNs published, but the copyright being held by DC comics means that its unlikely to be reissued anytime soon.

kimbers

y the last man
    ex machina
    hellboy, bprd
    marvel zombies….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Graphic novels – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.