Home Forums Bike Forum Gower – worth taking the bike?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gower – worth taking the bike?
  • jamiea
    Free Member

We’re camping for a week near Oxwich Bay at the end of the month. If I can fit it in the car along with all the climbing gear, is it worth taking the XC hardtail?

I won’t be heading off in the car, more an hour’s ride from the campsite before dinner type of thing.

pedlad

Yep. Nice loop around Rhossili Down to be had.

roach

Or even up onto Cefn Bryn and down to Parkmill and up to Southgate overlooking 3 cliffs.

Ambrose

Well worth it. It’s a bit like a mini Quantocks I sometimes think. Cefn Bryn is the ridge that forms the spine along the length of Gower and is sublime. Cracking sunset views too. Rhossili is good too with a stunning view from top, again best looking west at sunset. There are loads of trails in the Clyne Valley between Mumbles/Oystermouth and Swansea, all on Strava and Trailforks. The main loop is very well signposted, starting close to the top end of the pond.

jamiea
    Free Member

Lovely, cheers guys!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I found by looking at the map there was basically one classic loop you can put together with obvious bridleways. And it was great.

proutster
    Free Member

Bookmarked, we’re off to the Gower for a 2 week holiday in September – COVID lockdowns allowing 😉😉

mechanicaldope

Was down there (not cycling) last week. By god it was busy. Almost like the entire country is holidaying in the UK! Lovely place though.

bigblackshed

No, there’s absolutely nothing to see or do on The Gower. No trails, no beaches, no hill walking, no scenery, nothing to see. Absolute shithole. Stay away.

jamiea
    Free Member

Was down there (not cycling) last week. By god it was busy. Almost like the entire country is holidaying in the UK! Lovely place though.

Indeed ☹️ We had a week down there booked for Easter and managed to rebook it for the last week in the school hols, having cancelled going to Switzerland this week.

Hopefully it’ll be a bit calmer by then 🤞

Fantombiker

Just returned from the gower! I did the 2 day loop from bike packing.com. Didn’t see a soul on the most of the trails. The beaches especially Rhossili were super busy. Nice place, nice pubs and friendly locals.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

There was a classic ride route in the mag some years ago. I’ll see if I can find it.

Pieface

Its nice biking, there’s a good route from Rhossili, up the Down (go on, ride it all the way up!) then down to Hillend (Steep!), some good riding on Llanmadoc Hill, then a bit of road work / jiggery pokery to get to the end of Cefn Bryn near Fairyhill Hotel, there’s loads of little loops / big loops to string together. There’s always Afan but its about an hours drive, if not more.

stgeorge

Always take the bike

Worth it

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gower – worth taking the bike?’ is closed to new replies.