• This topic has 23 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Golferists – what Xmas present?
  • rocketman
    Free Member

One of my brothers is mad into golf but tries not to be a golf bore so he doesn’t say much about it and even if he did I wouldn’t be listening

What would be a good Xmas present max £50? No point in going overboard 🙂

Ta

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A voucher for American golf, or a Dozen Titleist ProV1’s.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Vouchers for lessons. There isn’t a golfer alive who wouldn’t benefit from a few lessons.

Or a box of Titleist ProV1’s.

jimdubleyou

If he’s a crap as my uncle, balls (anything but Dunlop apparently).

If he’s any good, he’ll likely have a ball preference – get those.

rocketman
    Free Member

Is Titleist the golf equivalent of XTR

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Dunno if I’d say that, but they make the best balls.

wombat

What does the “liest” bit of “Titliest” mean?

I understand the other bit….. 😉

fasthaggis

A sticker for his golf trolley “My other wheels are Santa Cruz”

hammyuk
    Free Member

Think its like bigerist or tidliest or stupidliest….

stumpy01

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Dunno if I’d say that, but they make the best balls.

Ball choice seems to be quite a personal choice among golferists. My brother swears by a certain Nike golf ball after trying quite a few different options.

Is he a member of a local club? Or is there a driving range that he regularly uses? You could get him a voucher for the driving range? Or a voucher for a couple of rounds at his local club.

Similar to cycling kit, I suspect buying him a specific thing will result in it being close, but not quite there…..although saying that, clothing might be a safe bet?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ball choice seems to be quite a personal choice among golferists. My brother swears by a certain Nike golf ball after trying quite a few different options.

Not really, My old workplace had at least 20 sub 5 handicappers, and every one of them to a man used ProV1. There’s bound to be the odd exception mind, and you can’t go with what the professionals use, as they are all in sponsorship contracts.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Pringle.

The jumper not the crisps.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok thanks all

Are the Pro V1 High numbers better in some way?

cb

MOst places are selling Pro V1s with free ‘personalisation’ if you wanted to go that way! Then its the ProV1 or the ProV1x – choices, choices.

I’d ask him if I were you.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Are the Pro V1 High numbers better in some way?

No, the numbers are meant to differentiate your ball from another. If he’s a very good golfer he might actually be able to use them, if he’s a good golfer he’ll enjoy having them and if he’s a crap golfer, he’ll be flattered by them! 🙂

edit: Personalisation takes a couple of weeks, so won’t be ready for Christmas.

Albanach
    Free Member

If you see him on a regular basis then have a quick look in his golf bag and see what brand of ball he plays and while you’re at it try and see if the size label of his golf glove is still attached then get him a couple of good quality cabretta leather gloves from Titleist or I think Srixon and footjoy do them as well. Voucher for somewhere like Function 18 clothing could go down well.
    Personalised tees from lees tees are pretty good novelty wise and u can get anything printed on them that you want…I got my brother in law who is blind in one eye a pack with “in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king” printed on them.

binners

Surely the correct answer is that he needs to get with the program! He surely needs one of these…..

Its the new golf, don’t you know? 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ben Hogans ‘Five lessons’.

Brilliant book from one of the greatest golfers and ball strikers ever.

Bought it for a golf nut at work for Xmas, he phoned us up on the ski lift to say how good it was and that his wife was complaining that it was spoiling xmas as he was reading it all the time.

It really it is the fundamentals and has the advantage that once you read it you find yourself ignoring all those ‘tips’ that appear in mags and from friends, as you know what they are really ‘patching’.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0743295285?keywords=Ben%20Hogan&qid=1449677410&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

For something lighter try this by P G Wodehouse, full of amusing stories :

And the Ben Hogans biography is pretty good as well :

For instance, he was shooting an advert and had to hit a 3 wood up to a raised green – he asked the film guys whether they wanted the ball to break to the left or to the right when it landed…

The little Harvey Penicks (Tom Watson and ben Crenshaws coach) books are pretty good as well :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harvey-Penicks-Little-Red-Book/dp/1451683219/ref=pd_bxgy_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=01BD7XXE7PS816SD4F30

thestabiliser
    Free Member

A hoof in the slats

davieg
    Free Member

A spare pair of trousers shirley?…

ronniethescot
    Free Member

A pair of trainer type golf shoes like footjoy AWD or adidas adicross, they can be had for around £50
    Perfect this time of year if he’s going down the range, no need to change shoes, jump in the car and drive.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Get him a set of head covers

Klunk
    Free Member

a golf course (though may exceed the £50 limit) with good riding nearby.

alpin
    Free Member

Garmin golf watch. Tells you how far to the pin… Start around 120£. Xmas b’day combo?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Golferists – what Xmas present?’ is closed to new replies.