Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gloves for frostbitten fingers
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

I have ended up with some frostbite on my right thumb. It’s only a week old but it looks like it’s going to be uncomfortable for the next couple of months at least and I’d rather it didn’t impact my riding more than it has to.

A brief commute last night in some ancient Altura big gloves showed they were too small, exacerbating the problem. Immediately after I got the frostbite I used some huge ice fishing gloves for a fatbike ride and they were good enough that my hands got sweaty, but it was -24C and so they’re overkill.

I could do with something that’s properly warm but crucially has either no padding or at least padding that can be unpicked as this always makes my palms hurt on the MTB. They’d need to keep the wind off. I ride regularly around freezing level. Anyone with a similar problem, or Raynaud’s, found a glove to fit the bill?

martinhutch

Pogies?

abingham

My usual answer: Pogies.

I suffer terribly from numb fingers, even when it’s not that cold and having gone through quite a few pairs of gloves Pogies are the only things that have kept them warm enough. I use the Revelate Williwaw ones from Bikemonger but others are available from the likes of Hotpogs and 45NRTH too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pogies or Glacier gloves perfect curve. But preferably Pogies.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’m not willing to go for pogies because I like technical riding, and any gloves I get will also be used day to day for things that aren’t biking.

finbar
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, I got frostnip in my ring fingers about 15 years ago and they’ve been buggers ever since 🙁

I now wear these for commuting in winter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121555356804?hash=item1c4d438c84:g:mhEAAOxywXFSc4bq

Useless for technical riding as gear changing is obviously extremely clumsy though.

scaredypants

some of those “moto” roost shields to keep the wind off ?

martinhutch

I suspect anything loose enough to allow blood flow but insulated enough to keep warmth will be pretty useless for technical riding. How about a shell system – a thin polartec/windproof glove for descending, with some kind of lobster claw to stick on top for everything else?

munrobiker
    Free Member

That’s a good idea Martin, might work out cheap too because I might be able to find a XXL glove in the sales to go over my normal gloves.

It’s not going to be too bad – I’ve had frostnip in my toes and fully recovered and this is only second degree. It’s supposed to heal alright, provided I’m careful in below freezing conditions in future, which is good- I can’t have my wife fastening my buttons all the time!

jam-bo

I’m quite impressed with the showers pass gloves I bought recently. Only time I had an issue with them was when it was relatively warm but wet, got damp inside from sweat and then got cold.

abingham

Technical-ish riding is entirely possible in Pogies IMO. When really going for it I’d rather have the slight annoyance of the Pogies than numb fingers clawing at the brake levers!

jam-bo

Crosspoint wool.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As often mentioned on hillwalking threads, a couple of spare pairs is more realistic than one pair that’ll do everything/keep dry and warm all day.

chakaping
    Free Member

When it gets below zero, I wear some thin liner gloves under either some looser softshell gloves or some winter gloves from Aldi (which aren’t too padded).

This is for technical riding, and it doesn’t bother me that they’re a bit bulkier than usual now. It used to bother me though, so I’d sometimes swap to thinner grips to keep a similar feel at the bar.

People have laughed at me, but it’s really quick to do and I thought it was quite clever.

PS. I don’t think I have Reynaulds but my fingers do really hurt in the proper cold, so this is essential for me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

@jam-bo – they look good but how windproof are they? I’m likely to use them on the gravel bike at decent speeds so keeping the windchill down is important too.

jam-bo

so far, I’d say pretty much 100% windproof.

The only real downside I’ve found with them so far is no touchscreen compatibility.

there was a thread/review about them recently.

StirlingCrispin

Rab Infinium Windproof Gloves are my gloves of choice.

I have poor circulation but not in these beauties. Thin suede-like stuff on the palms and fingers to give durability but otherwise full dexterity.

bikerevivesheffield

Where are you now @munrobiker? -24 is effin colder than Sheffield

munrobiker
    Free Member

Rob – I was at my inlaws’ for Christmas!

I’ve bought a few of the gloves mentioned above, plus some other Infinium gloves rather than the Rab ones, to see what looks the best. Thanks for your help everyone.

bikerevivesheffield

Good work

haggis1978

I wear Salomon snowboarding gloves when it’s really cold. Never have a problem with cold hands when I’m wearing them and I was out all winter last year even in deep snow in the middle of the night and I was toasty.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gloves for frostbitten fingers’ is closed to new replies.