Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 307 total)
  • Global Warming – really, aye?
  • Kit
    Free Member

ninfan, I asked for the data and instead you’ve given me a conspiracy theory. You should post your bold ideas (without evidence) over here, or here, or here, or here.

Good luck.

ninfan
    Free Member

sure, as soon as you hand me a set of non homogenised data and a three hundred million quid grant.

Which bit of what I’ve said are you denying?

Kit
    Free Member

ninfan
    Free Member

Well, that was easy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. Good one this. Maybe someone should get really into the science and study all the data in detail and tell us what’s really going on.

Oh wait, they did…

PS ninfan you haven’t won, you’ve lost.

ninfan
    Free Member

Maybe someone should get really into the science and study all the data in detail and tell us what’s really going on.

Oh wait, they did

And declared it was a travesty that they could not account for the lack of warming…

maxtorque

I personally can’t see why people seem to need hard evidence of Global Warming etc to know that a massive CO2 release is not really a good idea?

Any time you change the natural balance, things are likely to change.

There is no natural mechanism that releases such quantities of CO2 over such a short time as mans consumption of hydrocarbon fuels. That’s got to be a bad thing in the long term.

I don’t need to see graphs showing 2degcC warming or what ever to know that things will change if we continue to burn fossil fuels at such an unnatural rate.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Where is the problem?

we just need to print more money then we can fix anything.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I personally can’t see why people seem to need hard evidence of Global Warming etc to know that a massive CO2 release is not really a good idea?

Not difficult really. The hydrocarbon industry creates huge profits and makes some people extremely rich. These vested interests obviously want to downplay and challenge the allegation that their industries are responsible for anthropic climate change and its devastating consequences.

For further obvious reasons these rich and powerful people find allies among right-wing politicians, indeed many of them are right-wing politicians.

They have enough leverage through power, wealth, and influence, to very effectively mount campaigns through the media to challenge and mislead the gullible. The usual stuff…….don’t trust governments, all politicians are evil self-serving individuals, it’s a conspiracy to tax you more of your hard-earned money, they want you to stop driving your cars, it’s all just a big con.

Some people will fall for that crap, sufficiently they hope to delay any meaningful curb on carbon emissions.

seosamh77
    Free Member

The climate is getting warmer and Arctic sea ice is melting at an alarming rate.
    But in Antarctica sea ice levels are actually increasing, and this year reached their greatest extent since records began.

More sea is is a symptom of warming. More ice melts from the land means less salt water at the sea surface surrounding antartica, meaning it freezes quicker. Also add in wind direction and a few other factors I’m not sure of and expanding sea ice is interesting.

I’d have a guess that the volume of land ice on antartica is the real gauge.

grum
    Free Member

Think it depends on which data and scientists you want to be correct

Yeah, it depends on whether you want to believe 97% of them or 3% of them.

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities,1and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position. The following is a partial list of these organizations, along with links to their published statements and a selection of related resources.

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

zokes
    Free Member

As a scientist, I do have one comment to add:

Anthropogenically mediated climatic change is often dismissed as ‘just a theory’ by deniers*. Well, so’s gravity, in which case may I kindly suggest you take your incredibly unhelpful and definitely undereducated views on this very complex topic with you and float off. Ta.

*And I’m being deliberate in my terminology here. A climate science sceptic is someone who takes an educated view point and has evaluated a large amount of information on the topic themselves, and has come up with a semi-justifiable defence for their scepticism. That makes most of the negative commentators on this topic, including those posting on this thread, as simply being layperson deniers.

wilburt
    Free Member

For some, it won’t be true until Simon Cowell says it is.

El-bent
    Free Member

A climate science sceptic is someone who takes an educated view point and has evaluated a large amount of information on the topic themselves, and has come up with a semi-justifiable defence for their scepticism. That makes most of the negative commentators on this topic, including those posting on this thread, as simply being layperson deniers.

Most of them being retarded right wingers.

And declared it was a travesty that they could not account for the lack of warming…

Bingo!

aracer
    Free Member

Now I’ll preface this by pointing out that I agree with the “scientific consensus” that man has a large influence on the observed warming (though I’m still kind of uncomfortable with the was the “consensus” is touted as some kind of evidence in itself). I’ve also come to realise that I’m actually a bit of a hippy in my attitudes towards transport and other energy use and think we could be doing a lot more to decrease our energy usage.

However I have a bit of a problem with this cartoon:

The implication being that anything done in the name of preventing climate change is a good thing, when in reality that’s far from being the case.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think you might have missed both the humour and the point behind the punch line.

neilwheel
    Free Member

That’s the problem with extrapolations.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So some simple facts and ideas.
    Carbon based fuels are finite and will run out at the rate we are using them – fact.
    Alternative energy sources exist – fact.

Would it be a good or a bad thing to be the ones who don’t need oil when the price spikes so high it causes more world issues.
    For all the things you can make with oil burning it is one of the stupidest ideas going.

JCL
    Free Member

Nothing will ever be done. The Amazon is being chopped down at the fastest rate ever, countless coal fired power stations being built etc etc.

Humans are greed driven. The only thing that bothers me is all the other species that get taken down with us.

zokes
    Free Member

Most of them being retarded right wingers.

That as well, but I was (uncharacteristically) trying to remain polite 😉

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, including their opinions on climate change.

What people are not entitled to is their own facts, or to pass off their opinions as fact.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have a guess that the volume of land ice on antartica is the real gauge.

Or sea levels. Are they rising? Should be easy to measure?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

These discussions always remind me of tobacco companies telling people cigarettes weren’t bad for you

Edukator
    Free Member

Or that there was a threshold below which lead consumption was safe to justify lead in petrol. Or that there’s a threshold below which nuclear radiation is safe to justify releasing nuclear waste into the environment… .

zokes
    Free Member

Or that there was a threshold below which lead consumption was safe to justify lead in petrol.

Correct, there isn’t, because there is no measurable background of volatilised lead, apart from perhaps during volcanic eruptions

Or that there’s a threshold below which nuclear radiation is safe to justify releasing nuclear waste into the environment… .

Not so correct, there may be: as there is quite measurable background radiation that is not man-made, there genuinely is no consensus on whether risk vs dose continues linearly to zero, or tails off somewhere around normal background levels…

But, lets not get too distracted, eh 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

“As often happens when confronted with difficult new ideas, the establishment joined ranks and tore holes in his theories, mocked his evidence and maligned his character”
    Thanks for the link ninfan the above quote from your link entirely sums up the attitude of politicians the oil industry and their “climate sceptical ” stooges to the scientists in the climate change debate. Have you ever wondered why when yhere are billions of dollars being pumped into denial of man made climate change not one scientist with a relevent qualufication not even my brother an oil industry geologist disputes it.

Edukator
    Free Member

there may be

Not quite so adamant now, Zokes, you’ve made my day. Of course there is no consensus, there rarely if ever is. This thread shows there still isn’t a consensus on the existence of man-made climatic change. There will always be “someone” to say that we’re just observing natural cycles. History shows that the “someone” will then be paid lots of money to spread their ideas by the industry concerned.

Edukator
    Free Member

So if the STW concensus is now that climatic change existsa dn is a bad thing, what are we doing about it?

One of many carbon footprint calculators

In my case a lot but still not enough:

“Your footprint is 5.23 metric tons per year
    The average for the industrial nations is about 11 metric tons
    The average worldwide carbon footprint is about 4 metric tons
    The worldwide target to combat climate change is 2 metric tons”

I eat meat, do energy greedy sports and have a car. The house is sorted though, still no need for heating (down to 21°C in the living room so it won’t be long before the wood burner gets lit).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Love the reference to continental drift Ninfan. Basically we should never listen to scientists because, like idiiots, they base their hypotheses on the availalble data and change them when the data suggests they should.

Instead we should listen to Lord Lawson cos he rattles out the same old shite consistently and with absolutely zero regard to any data whatsoever.

10/10.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This thread shows there still isn’t a consensus on the existence of man-made climatic change.

If 97% of the worlds climate change scientists say it’s happening is that not a consensus? They are the people who should be asked rather than the population as a whole who think ghosts, fairies and demons exist. Climate change doesn’t have a science problem it has a PR problem.

Northwind

Edukator – Troll

Of course there is no consensus, there rarely if ever is. This thread shows there still isn’t a consensus on the existence of man-made climatic change. There will always be “someone” to say that we’re just observing natural cycles.

Concensus doesn’t require unanimity 😕 It means general agreement, which there certainly is.

Edukator
    Free Member

After over 10 years on these threads there is still the odd denier that raises his head and several deniers who don’t post on the threads anymore. I don’t think there is a consensus yet, just less vocal deniers.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t think there is a consensus yet, just less vocal deniers.

Going back to my last post, the consensus is not among the lay people it’s among the scientists. In reality the public is ignorant and wrong, unless they are going to join the field of climate science and prove what they claim they should rightly be ignored as just cherry picking data from the internet to fit their views.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Ban Ki Moon Says:

‘get the frick over it, people. It’s happening so you’d better sort your schizzle, girlfriend.’

on the telly last night and everything.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think the public deny it because if they accept it then they have to do as Edukator has done rather than just carrying on damaging whilst in denial.

maxtorque

Thing, in everything we know about “excess” is the issue.

You can swallow poison and your body will react and save you, as long as you only swallow a little bit.

You can hit yourself in the face with a brick, and, your body will heal, as long as you only do it a few times

People live safely in areas of high natural radiation as their bodies have evolved to cope over time

The environment can balance long term, slow shifts in pollutant or atmospheric contamination.

What matters is the rate of release. I can’t see how anyone can not understand that a massive and rapid (<100 years) change in the status quo in terms of atmospheric concentration of CO2 WILL change things.

What those things are, and if you think they are “good” or “bad” well, that’s mostly politics…..

gobuchul
    Free Member

I am not a “Climate Change” denier.

The climate is cyclical. It has changed greatly many times with no help from mankind.

I think pollution is a bad thing.

I think over reliance on fossil fuels is a bad thing.

However, I am completely skeptical regarding some of the “Green” solutions that are now being heavily subsidized and proclaimed to be excellent solutions.

Hydrogen powered cars. Ridiculous, requires huge electrical output to produce. Complex and expensive infrastructure to supply.
    Hybrid cars. Ridiculous, lugging heavy, expensive batteries around. What’s the real carbon footprint of those things?

Offshore wind. Ridiculous. Expensive needs massive subsidy to be worthwhile. The carbon footprint of the construction and support vessels is huge.

I await my flaming.

molgrips
    Free Member

The climate is cyclical. It has changed greatly many times with no help from mankind.

Yes but as I explained, a) it wasn’t always a good thing and b) it’s never changed this fast.

Ridiculous, requires huge electrical output to produce

The point about H is that you can (in theory) produce it where renewable energy is free and transport it. That’s not ridiculous at all.

Hybrid cars. Ridiculous, lugging heavy, expensive batteries around.

Do you know how much the battery in a Prius weighs?

Offshore wind. Ridiculous. Expensive needs massive subsidy to be worthwhile.

What’s cost got to do with it? Is offshore wind too expensive, or is coal too cheap? The need for renewables has nothing to do with being competitive in the market.

Edukator
    Free Member

People live safely in areas of high natural radiation as their bodies have evolved to cope over time

Oh dear, you’ve fallen for those “studies” which claim lower cancer rates in high natural radiation areas in places such as Iran. Do some of your own research and you’ll find the studies are highly misleading and many of the claims plain inaccurate.

GrahamS

Thing, in everything we know about “excess” is the issue.

Spot on.

A point I often bring up with the lay-deniers is that they are quite happy with the idea that “the climate is always changing” and most would accept that huge natural forces such as volcanoes must play a part in this natural change.

After all, volcanoes spew out somewhere in the region of 0.15 to 0.26 BILLION metrics tons of CO2 every year! That’s a lot.

But anthropogenic CO2 emissions stand at 35 BILLION metric tons a year!

Can that really have no effect?

Put another way, we would need an extra 11,200 volcanoes the size of K?lauea in Hawaii to produce that much CO2.

Imagine for a moment that we are in an alternate Earth where there is no man-made CO2, but we have an extra 11,200 huge active volcanoes and more of them appearing every year. How many people would readily dismiss that?

[Source: ”Volcanic Gases and Climate Change Overview”, US Geological Survey]

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 307 total)

The topic ‘Global Warming – really, aye?’ is closed to new replies.