Home Forums Chat Forum Girls names?

• This topic has 155 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)
  • Girls names?
  • RustySpanner

Means dark and noble, does Brunhilda/e.
    Good strong name that.
    Bit Wagnerian though.

How about Agatha Marples, or does that break the detective rule?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I have an unusual name, it is a family tradition so the only other person I’ve met who shares my name is my grandmother.

I realise by sharing my name i make myself searchable – but I’m trusting I’m not going to pick up any weird stalkers. But I will as I feel I have to rant a bit about it.

My name is ione, I’m named after ancient Greek water nymph called a nereid.

It’s quite nice having a bit of history behind my name and why I have it but…I get fed up with –

People calling me iona – it’s ione pronounced eye-oh-nee (all though it’s ancient Greek so this can be open to debate – so much debate my grandfather refused to call my grandmother by her first name). People even reply to my emails signed off ‘ione’ with hi iona – do they think I can’t spell my own name?!

When it’s written in Arial or similar font I then get called lone! Why? If you see Ian written down you don’t call them Lan

I grew up in a village and was a bit of a nightmare in my teens – there is no anonymity if you have an unusual name.

The song ‘I only want to be with you’ was in the charts when I was a kid – I hated having it sung to me

I wouldn’t change my surname as it goes with my first name – but it definitely put me off taking my ex’s surname – ‘wareham’

I guess these days there are more and more unusual names – so it may not be as bad. I wouldn’t change it now – but I grew up wishing it was something less unusual

(sorry – had to get it off my chest!)

funkmasterp

That’s a lovely name and is getting added to the list. People always spell my name wrong and it’s really common. Mrs Funkmaster’s maiden name is quite unusual and I wish we’d taken it rather than mine. Used to get some truly comical mispronunciations too.

I grew up in a village and was a bit of a nightmare in my teens – there is no anonymity if you have an unusual name.[/quote

I’m basically a doppelganger of my father and know far too well what a pain in the arse being a tearaway teen with an easy identifier in a small village can be.

RustySpanner

I realise by sharing my name i make myself searchable – but I’m trusting I’m not going to pick up any weird stalkers. But I will as I feel I have to rant a bit about it.

I’ve only ever heard of one other person with your name, and now I don’t want to say who in case it’s you.
    🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

If the person you have met was in her eighties and riding a Russian cossack motorcycle outfit – that’d be my grandma not me 😉

LadyGresley
    Free Member

If you’re looking for something different, unusual names I’ve come across include Pebbles and Princess- dear little Princess said I could call her by her middle name of Jacqueline if I wanted – I guess she preferred that.

RustySpanner

It sounds very much like the same person.
    🙂

You don’t get many Jaquelines these days, although I do work with a bubbly blonde lady of that name, nominative determinism fans.

funkmasterp

If you’re looking for something different, unusual names I’ve come across include Pebbles and Princes

There’s unusual and there’s bloody stupid / borderline cruel

LadyGresley
    Free Member

There’s unusual and there’s bloody stupid / borderline cruel

Actually my thoughts too, poor little kids.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Ione Wareham sounds great, you could have been known as ‘on a Friday’ – or maybe not 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

When I actually ponder unusual names I’ve liked, I was in a cafe and over heard a girl being called by her mum.

Zinnia – which is actually the name of a pretty daisy type flower. She would be spelling it forever but it’s a pretty 🙂

gauss1777
    Free Member

But everyone would keep saying to her “where is it?”

glasgowdan
    Free Member

We chose Carly…not a made up name, not too popular, quite feminine. At 8 months old she is reacting well to the name ?

cheers_drive – Member
    Our daughter is Mathilda, it works in English and Danish unlike many names.
    Had a French girlfriend called Aureli once, I wouldn’t recommend that name.

I’ve got a very lovely Belgian friend called Aurelie!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Lief (pronounced as leaf) ?

Or Bob.

muckytee
    Free Member

Jolene as the Dolly Parton song,

Don’t choose Lola

I’m called Gene, so people often sing Jean Genie at me, no bad thing

crazy-legs

People calling me iona – it’s ione pronounced eye-oh-nee

I remember you explaining that one when we met (was it on one of the Pook’s Pootles?)

We really liked Isla but it appears to be very popular now which puts me off for some reason.

One of my nieces is called Isla. Nice name, better than the other one who is called Annabelle but they shorten it to Annie which I hate. Anna is fine. Ann(e) is fine. Annie sounds awful.

It’s quite interesting dealing with youth groups, schools etc and you can see name trends by year. One year there’ll be a glut of Hannah’s then it’s Rebecca (Becky, Bex…), then Elizabeth (Lizzie, Beth, Liz, Eliza…) and so on.

chip
    Free Member

Like liesel for a Germanic name pronounced leesel,
    Don’t know how common it is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Leeloo

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Yes that was me 🙂 I think it’s actually easier to be adjustablewench – that can raise eyebrows but people seem to remember it

chip
    Free Member

Had lots of Darren’s, James’s and Paul’s when I grew up, when the phone rang my mum would say Paul’s on the phone, Paul who I would reply.

chestrockwell

We called our daughter Cecily. Original idea came from the story of Cecily Parsely but it also turned out my great auntie had the same name. Not many about and people often comment on what a lovely name it is. Thanks wife.

stumpy01

We went with Chloe Sophia for our daughter’s name.

We had quite a few girl options but were struggling for boys names.

Other girls names we had were Emily, Scarlett, Rose, Freya and Kayleigh.
    I really like the name Kayleigh but my wife wasn’t keen.

ads678

My wife’s middle name is Liisa. Yep that’s how it’s spelt, with 2 i’s. Finish apparently, and maybe a girl her dad had a fling with!!

She’s forever getting forms and things sent back to her with her name ‘corrected’….

My Daughter is called Daisy, sort of named after my wife’s grandma who’s was also called Daisy and died a couple of months after my daughter was born. We knew she wouldn’t last long after my daughter was born but we were so pleased she got to hold her.

Grandma Daisy was a wonderful women.

shakers97
    Free Member

Can’t believe this got to three pages and nobody has suggested this, well I don’t think so anyway I’m not reading every comment, I have a life.

*clears throat

Miss Marple

I thank you……..

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My best mate’s middle name was Marloes. She loved it as a link to her family’s Dutch roots.

aracer
    Free Member

No more than you have already

When it’s written in Arial or similar font I then get called lone! Why? If you see Ian written down you don’t call them Lan

Maybe not, but I do have a friend called Iain who somebody thought his name was pronounced as “Layne” (he suggested it was cool having the same name as the lead singer of Alice in Chains).

Ione is a cool name though.

wombat

Am I too late to suggest Throat-Wobbler Mangrove?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How are you spelling that?

wombat

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    How are you spelling that?

Simon Luxury Yacht

willej

We named our daughter Lyra, four years ago.

Lyra is a constellation, Greek for harp, is the main character in my wife’s favourite book and is also the name of one of the rarer My Little Ponies!

Zena is my mother in law’s name. Her mum was called Aija, which is a lovely name.

funkmasterp

I’m liking Simon Luxury Yacht

stewartc
    Free Member

Seven, works for both the Trekkies and Seinfeld crowds.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Phatarsia

(Yes it does look big in that)

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Glass ? Given your surname

ratherbeintobago

Bob

You’ll find he has a great sense of humour

He, sir, he? He?

See – you’re laughing already.

Our two are Isobel (in the year where Isobel or variations was the most popular girls name) and Eloise (who has only ever met two other girls called this, and one was French). Jessica and Hannah made the shortlist.

arrpee
    Free Member

Bobra.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Eloise is a great name – I still have my copy of this
    lovely blue vinyl

theotherjonv

We chose a name that was virtually unique in 2006, yet recognised by most and without being the name of a wine or a reincarnated granny name. Weren’t we clever.

Then 2013 and thanks a bunch Disney…….

I still think MY Elsa, named after a Lion that roars (so yeah, **** you too Boris for stealing that) is way cooler than all the Elsa come latelys.

chestrockwell

Could be worse, my 21 year old niece is called Isis. Everyone used to think it was a beautiful name.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

It’s amazing how quickly a name can change in popularity – I used to think Stella was quite a classy girls name – now it’s a much less classy beer it’s lost its appeal 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Girls names?’ is closed to new replies.