Home Forums Chat Forum Girls names?

• This topic has 155 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Girls names?
  • funkmasterp

I can’t believe I’m resorting to asking on here, but Mrs F and I can’t settle on a name for Funk Mk2 and D day is fast approaching. Hit me with your suggestions STW so that we can have a good laugh or maybe even settle on a name.

njee20
    Free Member

Something classy, with an apostrophe.

D’mentia, that sort of thing?

*not original, but I remember laughing at the last thread on here about this!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Louise.

jambourgie
    Free Member

D’onna.

jekkyl

My eldest girl is Rowan. Always happy with that choice

Moses

would that be D’onna K’ebab?

I reckon that Mavis, Maureen & Edna are due for a comeback.
    or Polly Esther.

RustyNissanPrairie

Dave

aracer
    Free Member

Bob

jambourgie
    Free Member

Rowan is a boys name is it not? I know a chap named Rowan. Maybe he has a girls name… unless he is a girl?

chip
    Free Member

Funkette

freeagent
    Free Member

Mine are Amelia and Charlotte.

(I’m aware Amelia is one of the most popular names at the moment – but it wasn’t 10 1/2 years ago)

I wanted names that would work in whatever path they take in life, whether they end up as surgeons, tree surgeons or hairdressers.

Amelia has always been Millie to us, but can be Amelia or Amy if she chooses, Charlotte can use Charlie or Lottie if it works for her.

My sister-in-law registered her second boy as Billy, and could not understand why we suggested that William might give him more options..

Go with your heart, but try and imagine a person with that name either cutting your hair, or cutting you open..

funkmasterp

Go with your heart, but try and imagine a person with that name either cutting your hair, or cutting you open..

I’m bald and now thinking of serial killer names.

RustySpanner

Rowan’s a boys or girls name:

njee20
    Free Member

We have a name we really like, but sadly my daughter was born with a penis and some balls, so you can’t have it, in case my potential son is born with girls bits.

The thing with these threads is they just epitomise how personal names are. You’ll get nothing new, you’ll snigger at some choices, and roll your eyes at others.

Personally I like ‘normal’ names, but not mega common, nothing too trendy that’ll ‘date’ . Ellie’s seem to be everywhere. Lily too common. Matilda’s nice. Megan. Freya.

Nothing asexual (Sam, Chris, Charlie), and definitely nothing which people will overwhelmingly assume is a boy (Rowan).

RustySpanner

And no diminutives.

It Charles or Charlotte, not Charlie.
    Charlie is what you call a Yorkshire Terrier.

funkmasterp

The thing with these threads is they just epitomise how personal names are. You’ll get nothing new, you’ll snigger at some choices, and roll your eyes at others.

That’s what I’m hoping for. A bit of light relief, a laugh and just maybe some names to add to the list.

It Charles, not Charlie.

If I were Victorian I might agree. As long as it’s not a ridiculous spelling and is actually a name bring it on 😉

si77

Juliana or Liv

RustySpanner

Sesimilla is a nice name for a girl.

njee20
    Free Member

Semolina?

cubist
    Free Member

There seems to be an abundance of girls whose parents liked red at my kids school.

Ruby, Scarlett, Rose.

You could have a look in B&Q at the colour charts and see if you can find something suitable.

funkmasterp

Sesimilla is a nice name for a girl

Or Mary Jane unless that’s not a typo you’ve made.

You could have a look in B&Q at the colour charts and see if you can find something suitable.

Valspar it is!

chip
    Free Member

I always liked Anastasia before the pop singer of the same name came along and ruined it.

scotroutes

What’s your surname?

thecaptain
    Free Member

Nigella of course

funkmasterp

Marples – so rules out anything beginning with M. Bring on the detective jokes

P-Jay
    Free Member

We chose Maisie – we were watching Game of Thrones when the wife was pregnant. Ayra was the best character that series and we joked about naming her Ayra but only Americans do that sort of thing and the idea was ghastly. We found out her real name and we both liked it immediately.

So she’s not named after anyone, we just wanted a name we didn’t know anyone who already had and we found Maisie by mistake joking about naming her after a TV character.

aracer
    Free Member

You’re pigeonholing your children into a gender based solely on what bits they have. Hence I suggest the following which will allow them to make their own minds up later:
    Leslie
    Lindsay
    Francis
    Robin

The name everybody apart from my mum uses for me is asexual, which can sometimes result in amusing assumptions. For added amusement, one of the woman at an activity I regularly do goes by the same name as me. It’s never been a problem that I can remember though – I got enough flak from the cool kids at school, but never for my name.

chip
    Free Member

Do you have an old girlfriend you are particularly fond of you could name her after.

chip
    Free Member

I grew up with “that’s a girls name” too aracer.

RustySpanner

Maisie is short for Margaret, something to be aware of…..
    🙂

chip – Member
    Do you have an old girlfriend you are particularly fond of you could name her after.

Or name her after someone you’ve come across from the telly.
    Ulrika’s nice.

chip
    Free Member

Peggy is better.

funkmasterp

Starts with M so it’s a no anyway. We’ve already got a middle name as it’s a family tradition on Mrs F’s mums side.

RustySpanner

But still a derivative of Margaret.

Might as well just call her Lucifer.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Julliette is what I’d like my next daughter to be called- don’t know the sex yet but find out soon, if it’s a boy… probably not that. I also have a M surname. It’s a bad one to find names that don’t sound odd too.

drlex
    Free Member

Sadly Mrs Lex vetoed Daphne, despite it being a homage to Tony Curtis’ character and one of the Scooby Doo team, so went with Anastasia for #2 daughter. She now gets associated with the Russian contingent at her school.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Lucinda.

Lucinda Marples.

This makes me chuckle but I can’t adequately explain why?

slowoldman

Is Kylie no longer fashionable?

Doris then.

rob2
    Free Member

My daughter is callled Thomasin, nice name I think

but also liked Tess (would have been named Theresa but shortened to Tess).

Tess would have gone to hold number two, but that was a boy!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Maisie is short for Margaret, something to be aware of…..

Not in my house it isn’t! 😉

Someone once asked me “What’s Maisie short for?” I said “because she’s 3”.

TiRed

http://names.darkgreener.com/

Jacquie – it’s died out. Less than three registered each year according to the above.

Generally;
    At least two syllables
    Must pass the Tesco/Sainsbury/Waitrose/Fortnum & Mason shout out loud test
    Nothing that has trended from nowhere in the past ten years
    Obvious spelling is helpful in the internet-age

Imogen Grace, was going to be ours. Until we had boys.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Girls names?’ is closed to new replies.