Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin 530 multi day trip tips please.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin 530 multi day trip tips please.
  • mrmrhill
    Free Member

Hello I’m taking part in a overnight bike packing event and was thinking of recording it as one activity on my Garmin edge 530, oppose to one for each day). Is it as simple as leaving it running overnight plugged into a power bank? Would livetrack cain the battery? Thanks in advance (mainly because I can never work out how to answer with the quote option)

ta11pau1

Surely it’s a simple as pressing stop on the unit, then either leaving on the pause screen until it sleeps, or putting it into sleep mode? It’ll loose a few %, if that overnight.

mashr

ta11pau1

Surely it’s a simple as pressing stop on the unit, then either leaving on the pause screen until it sleeps, or putting it into sleep mode? It’ll loose a few %, if that overnight.

This was my thinking too, assuming it works the same as my 830. Leaving it plugged in overnight if you think it could run out (even then it will pick up where it left off iirc)

DrP

i’m sure you can stop then turn off the device…
    it’ll still be ‘paused’ when you turn it on again. might need to create a new livetrack link though.

practice that tonight/tomorrow and let us know what it does?

DrP

scotroutes

You can certainly Pause recording, switch off, switch on and resume recording. That’s what I’ve done. No idea about Livetrack in that event. I don’t think you can start “another” Livetrack without starting to record a new track though. Might try it later as an experiment.

jonba
    Free Member

As others have said.

A small usb power bank will get you back up to 100% overnight if you are worried.

Equally there are quite a few free websites that will join multiple .fit files into one.

I use this.

https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top

daern
    Free Member

Honestly, I’d record one fit file per day and join them afterwards, for the simple reason that if the device screws up (and they do occasionally!) you’ll only lose one day (or a portion of one day) and not the whole lot.

As a bonus, set it to autosync at the end of each day with Garmin Connect / Strava, but set the visibility on both to be private (so you’re not posting partial rides). Then, when you get home at the end you can download from the Garmin and join them to create one single ride, but if the very worst happens and you lose the device, you’ll at least have the data sync’ed up in t’cloud.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

I’ve been a bit numb here, I had tried to power off mid activity before but hadn’t stopped/paused the activity. If you stop then power off when you turn it back on the activity can be resumed. It’ll still need a trickle charge I think to have it for navigation on day two. Thanks for the answers, I hadn’t pressed the buttons on the right order 🤦‍♂️

intheborders
    Free Member

Why would you want the activity to be just one ride when you’re actually doing two?

I just save at the end of each day and once I’ve my tent up etc, plug in the Garmin & phone to powerbank.

If you want to ‘join’ the rides on Strava, do it after (possibly PC is easier?).

mrmrhill
    Free Member

intheboarders I was thinking for multi day Individual Time Trials

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin 530 multi day trip tips please.’ is closed to new replies.