Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 229 total)
  • Furloughed
  • Premier Icon didnthurt
    Subscriber

Been told I’m Furloughed from tomorrow, doesn’t look good for the construction industry as they’re often some of the first and worst affected by economic decline. Although as far as I recall I’ve managed to stay employed through 3 recession’s in my working life so far.

Anyone else?

Mate of mine is a design engineer in Bus industry, he’s expecting it this week too.

More mates in aviation have been told redundancies are coming, not surprisingly, the ficklest, twitchiest industry there is.

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

Site Investigation here, will be Furloughed from 1st April I think. Wifes an architect and its being talked about as well.

Managed to survive multiple rounds of redundacy over the years so it had to catch up with me eventually!

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

My missus got the news yesterday. She was working from home but was told to stop. Will get the 80% pay next month as her normal salary.

Premier Icon didnthurt
    Subscriber

Yay! Now I’ll have all day to ride my bike! Oh wait 😭

Premier Icon TheDTs
    Subscriber

Furloughed all staff yesterday. Most difficult decision I have ever had to make. The uncertainty of the duration is what’s getting to me.

Klunk

the wifes waiting to hear, they were told it would be happening yesterday just waiting to find out who’s working and who’s furloughed.

ElShalimo

Can you help explain? I’d never heard that word until this week

Does it mean you’re effectively not working but not being paid by your employer but your job is still there once this is over?

And that UK plc pays you the ~80%?

All our office staff across 30 branches have been furloughed as of 31st March.
    The company is making up the difference and they’ll all get full pay until further notice.

Our branch is carrying on working.

Other half is as of today, but waiting on hearing whether she’s been given authorisation to restart WFH as she has been all week.

Our branch is carrying on working

Ah, special branch.

Premier Icon husa450
    Subscriber

Happening to my wife next week who works in admin for a construction/roofing firm. Still not sure how long for, I’d place my bets on 3 months. From what I understand, the company lets HMRC know who is furloughed, and next pay day they should get 80% or up to £2.5k of monthly salary paid still by the company, with no expectation to actually do any work.

Premier Icon WildHunter2009
    Subscriber

Will just be the 80% for us, not sure the company could afford the top up. Just come to the realisation its basically quantitative easing/printing money isnt it? Instead of banks and businesses hoarding in cash reserves they are just pumping magic money in to the publics pockets so we can keep on consuming.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Does it mean you’re effectively not working but not being paid by your employer but your job is still there once this is over?

And that UK plc pays you the ~80%?

pretty much – its actually not working rather effectively not working. Employees who are being prevented from working by the current situation. UK plc pays the employer to pay the employees. It means that the company retains a functioning team to return to action and also admisintratvely for the government its one claim to deal with per employer compared to hundreds of individual claims in each instance.

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Just put a load of staff into furlough, company is making up the 20% difference for at least the next 3 weeks, to be reviewed. Staff on furlough can’t work, we’ve just told our mobile guys they can’t even drive the vans. One asked if he could still take calls from customers, the answer was no. Any form of work and liability for the pay reverts back to the employer. Trouble is like much coming out of this government there’s still a lot of unknowns.

Premier Icon pocpoc
    Subscriber

I’m furloughed from the end of this month. Working from home until then. But I work for a supplier to JLR so if they shut down there is no demand for parts and if we’re not selling parts then we have no money coming in. Hopefully being stuck at home and not going out anywhere I’ll be able to save the equivalent of the 20% somehow. Not done the numbers yet but it’s going to be close.

Premier Icon moonsaballoon
    Subscriber

Waiting to hear on Monday, union’s in discussion. Apparently the company isn’t keen on the government plan for some reason, I think they’d rather get rid of some areas of the business entirely and try and get some open ended concessions from everyone left. There was zero trust in the company at  board level anyway so whatever they do people won’t believe it’s for the right reasons, especially after years of record profits.

A “mate of a mate” says he has been furloughed but is still working. Apparently it will be great for his company’s cash flow.

I hope that was just a story, because too much of that will **** it up for everyone.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

A “mate of a mate” says he has been furloughed but is still working. Apparently it will be great for his company’s cash flow.

I hope that was just a story, because too much of that will **** it up for everyone.

Theres plenty of time when this is all over to prosecute fraud.

dantsw13

My missus is an employment lawyer – pretty busy as you can imagine. She’s been begging clients to furlough rather than just shut & lay off staff.

CraigW

Looks like I will be furloughed shortly.
    Seem a bit annoying that you’re not allowed to do any work while furloughed. Otherwise I could do a couple of hours per week checking over the empty site etc.

sharkbait

MrsSB has been furloughed from a small commercial property agents.
    She’s getting the 80% and her employers are topping up to her normal salary.

She’s currently asleep in the sun on the sofa in the garden 😠

Premier Icon BillOddie
    Subscriber

Wife has been furloughed, as long as her job is still there at the end of this then it’s fine.

30k to keep the kids out of my hair whilst I attempt to work from home, doesn’t seem a bad deal to me.

Hob Nob

We’ve gone through a staged process, some have gone already, some going tomorrow & some going the week after. We have a core of the business still functioning due to the industries we work in, & us as the director level staff are working all the way through, as at some point we will have the phase the business back online.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I’m expecting it from the end of the week for both Mrs C and I.

From what I’ve read there seems to be some clarification still to come out (unless I’ve missed updates). Still needs clarity if the £2500 is just the employees basic salary or includes things like employer NI and pension contributions. If it does from what I’ve read the bit which goes towards basic pay will be a good chunk less than £2500. And you still pay tax and NI (and possibly your pension contribution) out of that too. So if you are lucky enough to be on say £40K or £50Kpa you are going to see a very considerably drop in your take home. An employee on £50K on the auto enrolment pension costs an employer £57,000 in total. £2.5K X 12 = £30K pa so that’s a 48% drop in gross income. A lot better than no income at all mind and personally very glad that the least well off PAYE employees with the least amount of wiggle room will get proportionally closer to their normal wage than people like me will.

Premier Icon richmars
    Subscriber

Not furloughed, but pay is being cut for at least 2 months. At least I’ll have something to do.

neilforrow

@TheDTs

Furloughed all staff yesterday. Most difficult decision I have ever had to make. The uncertainty of the duration is what’s getting to me.

This. I feel for you. Just had to do the same.

@WildHunter2009 – Who do you work for, I’m in the same industury.

@convert see this link:
    https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2020/mar-2020/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-furlough-guidance

The £2.5k being mentioned (or 80% of wage if lower) is the maximum ‘grant’ HMRC will pay the employer to help cover the wage. As well as covering Employers NIC and pension contributions on top of that.

As mentioned in the link, it’s actually more of an employment law issue around whether an employer can pay an employee less than they are contracted or whether the contract can be renegotiated.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

itsonlymelee
    @convert see this link:
    https://www.icaew.com/insights/viewpoints-on-the-news/2020/mar-2020/coronavirus-job-retention-scheme-furlough-guidance

Thanks – the best description I have seen.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

somewhatslightlydazed

At the minute we want more of it, so the more companies put their workers on furlough the better, and it’ll help put the economy on pause and fight the virus.

If companies don’t put people on furlough, it’ll lead to redundancies and it’ll reduce the fight against the virus.

So every company should be encouraged to put their employees on furlough if possible and claim the 80% and pass it on..

It’s a good thing at the minute.

h4muf

Furloughed from yesterday.
    Large earthworks firm,for at least three weeks.

We’re furloughed from close of business tomorrow; our UK factories closed Wednesday 5pm.
    Three weeks then review.
    I’m in an interesting position as I’m a contractor until 31st. Then technically unemployed. Then I start doing the same role as a permanent employee on 6th April. I’ve been told that nothing changes there, so as of that day I’ll be getting the 80% of the new job’s salarY, pro-rats obvs. Could’ve been worse, I could have been going into full-on unemployment, and as self employed would get bugger all help from Boris

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Could’ve been worse, I could have been going into full-on unemployment, and as self employed would get bugger all help from Boris

Hold fire an hour or two with that thought…

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I’ve also seen some pretty impressive inequity.

Teams where one of the two doing the same job has to go. One member has got on and adapted to the WFH world well and is being very professional. The other appearing in meetings wearing pjs, going offline for periods without reason and basically not really working in any way you would describe as useful. Employer does not have the time or the means to performance manage the poor performer so they get to sit on their arse all day on full pay (company has made the decision to top up) whilst the one making the effort to save the company gets to keep on working and gets exactly to the penny the same reward for it. You’d like to think karma or bonus or something would make up the difference but it probably won’t.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Could’ve been worse, I could have been going into full-on unemployment, and as self employed would get bugger all help from Boris

Well that’s it announced.

Those who managed to ‘massage’ their figures to minimise the profits and those that seemingly run small companies but oddly seem to pay for everything cash are going to seem their wings clipped for a few months. Those that report their accounts honestly should be seen right it seems.

Onzadog

Is the £2.5k taxable, or what you’d see on your payslip for someone who reaches the upper limit?

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Gross pay so yes taxable. Look at the link onlymelee put above – best I have seen.

Onzadog

Cheers, missed the link.

Onzadog

So glad you pointed me to that. The wife is supposed to change jobs first week of April. If the new company gets into difficulty, they wouldn’t be able to furlough her.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Here’s one for you.
    A mate gave his notice in to his current firm at the start of Feb, 8 weeks notice with nothing to go to and has been in the garden since then. He’s not found a job for obvious reasons.
    Left on good terms so his boss has got in touch and asked him if wants to be furloughed at 80% of salary as it cost the company nothing.
    He’s said yes on the justification that he’s have found a job we’re it not for this fun and games.

How does that sit with the STW moral compass?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 229 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.