Home Forums Bike Forum Fulcrum Rapid Red 900 Wheels

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fulcrum Rapid Red 900 Wheels
  • stayhigh

Morning all,

I’m assuming these wheels need rim tape to set up tubeless and if so what width would it be please?  The blurb for the wheel says they are tubeless ready with an internal width of 22mm but Stans tape seems to come in either 21 or 25mm.  Guessing the 21mm is correct because the prospects of trimming 3mm of tape off seems like the path of madness.

Possibly overthinking to possibly obvious questions but I’m mid night shifts, can’t quite brain and don’t want to have to faff about with sending stuff back.

dc1988

Go 25mm, the usual recommendation is to size up by a few mm to take account of the curve of the rim well. The internal width of your rim is straight across but the tape needs to conform to the rim bed which has a curve and is therefore longer.

onewheelgood

Every tubeless ready wheelset I’ve bought has come ready taped. It was hard to find a pic of the 900s, but this suggests that they do too 

stayhigh

@dc1988 thinking about it like that makes sense #nightshiftbrain

@onewheelgood
    I couldn’t find anything confirming one way or the other which is somewhat frustrating. As they are coming set up with tubed tyres I’m not sure if they are even supplied with tubeless valves?

timba
    Free Member

Tubeless taped. No valves. Fulcrum centre-lock disc rings…Shimano HT BB tool will tighten these

stayhigh

@timba great stuff.  I already have fluid so will just get some valves ordered, just have to settle on whether 35mm or would 55mm be better suited?

fazzini

My fulcrums came ready taped. Very good job of it they made too. Far better than other manufacturers I’ve had experience of recently.

timba
    Free Member

I think minimum is 39mm, but don’t rely on my memory and I always go a bit longer

stayhigh

55mm makes more sense so that’s them ordered.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve had Fulcrum wheels on a couple of On One gravel bikes over the last few years, hateful things for trying to tubeless in my experience.

I’ve run tubeless on various MTB’s since 2007 so lots of experience with varying methods etc.

stayhigh

So fun times ahead then 😵‍💫

ajc
    Free Member

I had those wheels on a Planet X bike. Taped really well. I bought some 35 m valves for £7. Put in some latex and pumped them up with a track pump then went for a ride. That easy.

timba
    Free Member

ajc+1

Track pump job

stayhigh

I have an airshot for MTB tyres so should be sorted once the thing finally arrives….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.