Home Forums Bike Forum freewheel on a fixed hub bad idea?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • freewheel on a fixed hub bad idea?
  • london_lad_liam
    Free Member

hey all

i can get hold of one of these

[/url]
    phil wood kiss off disc-fixed[/url] by fast boy[/url], on Flickr

dont want to run it fixed tho…thought about putting a freewheel on it bad idea??

cheers

tazzymtb

if it’s a wood kiss off disc it’ll take a freewheel just like this

london_lad_liam
    Free Member

i think so…basically an associate is selling a phil woods 135mm disc fixed hub(most pointless combo im the world if u ask me)and its great hub just dont want to run it fixed.so was curious if it would be ok with a free wheel,probably would run a white I freewheel too

tazzymtb

it’ll be fine

stever
    Free Member

It’s just a hub, the threads are the same.

Keef
    Free Member

wot they sed.

finbar
    Free Member

Well, not quite. The threaded portion will be narrower on a fixed hub than the freewheel, ‘cos fixed cogs aren’t as wide and a fixed hub also needs to accomodate the external smaller diameter thread for the lockring.

It’ll still be fine though.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

The reason for the lock ring is to stop the sprocket unwinding when you try and do a rear wheel skid. As that is impossible on a freewheel it should be fine but the thread is narrower so there will be less thread enagement. Probably not an issue.

tazzymtb

it should be fine but the thread is narrower so there will be less thread enagement. Probably not an issue

not an issue on the woods kiss off disc as it’s just as wide on the threaded section as surly or salsa singlespeed hub.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘freewheel on a fixed hub bad idea?’ is closed to new replies.