Home Forums Chat Forum Framing a giant poster

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Framing a giant poster
  • Flaperon

Just wondering if anyone has tried to do this themselves and has any tips? I’ve got a giant wall map (201cm x 115cm approx) which is just stuck on the wall with 3M poster strips.

I’m tempted to deal with the curling edges by knocking together a frame out of some decorative timber and just screwing it to the wall, independently of the map but holding the edges down. I guess the best way to describe this is as a “fake frame”.

The other option is to take the map off and staple it to the back of the frame, so it’s all one piece.

My woodworking tools are limited to a saw, a mitre box, and a staple gun. The poster is paper, not canvas, and I don’t think will particularly tolerate being stretched.

dovebiker

You could try pasting it to a large board e.g. 6mm plywood using wall paper paste – is there a small section you could try first to see how much it stretches/wrinkles?

midlifecrashes

I thought ton had been fitted up for something he hadn’t done! Free the Rothwell One!

sharkattack

Not a frame but when I was young and had dozens of posters but no money I used to use sticky labels like this to beef up the corners or edges.

It also stops drawing pins from ripping out so easily.

the-muffin-man

Framing a giant poster

On what charges are you trying to get tjagain convicted? Better be good, he puts up a strong argument! :-)

Beagleboy

Ooooh, I’ve got a giant (approx 4.5m x 1.5m), original Muppets From Space vinyl cinema poster that I’ve always planned to somehow frame and hang in my garage. It’s that big a job, for someone as cack handed as me that I’ve been putting it off for about 8-9 yrs now. It’s just kind of hanging on the garage wall like a saggy curtain. This winter, this winter I’ll get it fixed….once you show me how you did yours.

tonyd

Something like this should do you, might need to check the strap is long enough though.

Your mitre box needs to be decent to get a nice tight joint. Other than that, a bit of wood glue and staples will probably do you. If you want to be sure just pop a flat right angle bracket on each corner.

If you’re going to go to the effort of making the frame, why not add some hardboard backing too?

kayak23

At that size I wouldn’t bother messing about with mitres personally, particularly if you’re not saw-cutting them.
    You’re unlikely to get them good enough not to look…. not good enough. (No offence intended)

The frame as you say, is fake so no need for much more than a butt-jointed frame (two vertical stiles running full height, then two horizontal rails, similar to how doors are made)

Screw and glue the corners. Drive the screws in slightly and fill and paint.

👆 Top Tip – Screws work better through the wood than laid on top like that 😉

Hang up with mirror plates maybe?

For the map itself, if it’s lying fairly flat to the wall then I don’t see why that would change when adding a frame.

You could consolidate the edges a little before putting the frame on perhaps by taking the map down and applying something like narrow, white Gorilla tape to the back side of the edge. Keep it strong then.

Then cover with the frame innit.

johndoh
    Free Member

Years ago you could get a plastic clip that you slid over the top and bottom of the poster (with string threaded through the top one). This supported the poster from the top and weighted it at the bottom to keep it straight. I treated some of my favourite posters to that special treatment (ie, tennis-playing woman scratching her bum) :)

No idea if you can still get the stuff?

Edit – yes you can

dyna-ti

As with Kayak mitres arent really the best and one of the reasons is its not a good enough glue joint by itself. Yes picture framers use them but they join them together using a tool called a V nailer.

I also wouldnt use a straight butt joint as Kayak suggests as screwing into end grain isnt the best fixing either, not for a strong lasting joint.

I’d opt for a half lap, which is glued and makes for a very strong joint. You will need to invest a fiver in a chisel.

Took a look and you can also buy a simple framing kit that has a V nailer with it(basic thing) And looks to be a fairly good deal for what comes with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143133079554?epid=2254971555&hash=item2153657802:g:AmMAAOSwEzJitY~N

kormoran
    Free Member

Is this the prelude to ‘Jailing a Big Hitter’ ?

sc-xc

thought ton had been fitted up for something he hadn’t done! Free the Rothwell One!

Lovely stuff 👏👏👏

skink2020

Get a big piece of 3mm acrylic. Extruded is cheaper.
    drill some holes and screw it to the wall, put the poster behind.
    if your in central Scotland I’ll get you some acrylic at cost.

MoreCashThanDash

On what charges are you trying to get tjagain convicted? Better be good, he puts up a strong argument!

Will he be using the Edinburgh defence?

daviek

I’ve used clip frames for large posters before but not of that size, might be worth a look though

tjagain

On what charges are you trying to get tjagain convicted? Better be good, he puts up a strong argument!

Oi – I am not a giant poster.  I’m a medium sized bloke!  Bang on medium!

I have giant maps on my walls – stuck to the wall with wallpaper paste and then varnished.  would that work?

piemonster
    Free Member

Couple of perspex sheets, cut to size and mounted to the wall? Ive a coupleof A0 maps like this.

Fittings look like this

tjagain

These are my maps as wallpaper.  Its not terribly easy to do.  The wall needs to be very smooth underneath and pasting it to the wall is tricky but imo the results are worth it.  Clear varnish on top makes it safe from grubby fingerprints.  Took many coats

20230927_210933

20230927_210912

20230927_210840

Flaperon

@tjagain – that looks spot on. Didn’t even think of using wallpaper paste.

tjagain

Just be aware that a piece of soggy paper that size is very tricky to handle and some stretch.  the Europe map I tore putting it up.  Its visible but not too bad and the Scotland map is 3 sheets – I had two of each sheet in case I damaged one and did need one of the spares.   the world map is two sheets

MoreCashThanDash

Those maps look great 👌

tjagain

Ta

Its partly a love of maps, partly for the plan for holiday letting the flat (the idea is to get folk to take a pic of themselves pointing at where they live but this will probably never happen now) but mainly because I lack the taste or imagination to have artwork!

Del

nice job TJ

i just got a soviet era map of my city framed by a local lady. she was lovely, it cost money, but the map is pretty well presented. it was a nice relic but it has taken on a different air after more recent events. :-(

CountZero

that looks spot on. Didn’t even think of using wallpaper paste.

In the first of William Gibson’s ‘Bridge Trilogy’, a character has posters stuck on his wall using condensed milk. Apparently once it dries nothing will take it off, short of demolition…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.