Home Forums Bike Forum Frame bearing replacement

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Frame bearing replacement
  • crashbanggg
    Free Member

The time has finally come to replace the knackered bearings in my frame (Pinnacle Tharpu)however having got to the point of accessing the bearings… im not entirely sure what to do. This is what I can see:

Is it a case of trying to use a screw driver and a hammer to ‘pursuade’ them out of the frame? And do I need to do anything with any of these bits of pivot to reduce the rear triangle play, or is it just the main pivot bearings I need to replace?

annnnnd finally, how do I know what bearings to replace them with? From what I can read on the bearing it says ‘Enduro 6.9 oil lumax’, however I cant find anything related when I googled it?

Cheers

Chris

Olly
    Free Member

you need to establish where you play is. My Giant bearings wear at totally different rates. I replaced some of them twice, some of them never. Purely because of where they are.
    with the main one, see if you can slide the spacer inside to one side, allowing you to hammer it out, but basically thats what you are going to have to do. Go steady, keeping the bearing straight in the frame. if it skews it may either jam solid, or damage the frame.
    the ones in the swing arm can probably be pressed out with sockets?

As for the size of the replacements, if you cant look it up online the sizes are laser etched into the outer race of the bearing. You wont be able to see it till you get them out.

amt27
    Free Member

to remove the bearing in the top photo you need a “bearing blind puller”, put that into google and you find loads of info, products and videos,

cheapest I found was from Superstar

bearing number is usually on the seal, but if you measure the outer diameter, inner diameter and width/thickness of the bearing and put into into the many bearing website you will find what you are after

nuke

to remove the bearing in the top photo you need a “bearing blind puller”

True or you can safely bodge it for much less using an expanding bolt as I’ve done successfully on numerous occasions on my Hemlock bearings. Did a guide for the rocker on this thread…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/sooooo-hemlock-owners-any-tips-to-shift-these-bearings

…but its the same principle for the other bearings, just use a expanding bolt that matches the internal diameter of the bearing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Frame bearing replacement’ is closed to new replies.