Home Forums News Fox Live Valve Neo: more fast, less faff

• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by ribena.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fox Live Valve Neo: more fast, less faff
  • Ben_Haworth

The new version of Fox’s auto-adjusting suspension is here. And it claims to be 20 times quicker than its “closest competitor”. By “closest competitor …

By ben_haworth

Get the full story here:

Fox Live Valve Neo: more fast, less faff

Gunz
    Free Member

That looks like a whole mess of faff to me. When I have to read a description of functionality about five times and then set up my bike with my phone I just can’t see myself bothering.

weeksy

Mmmmm but faster is… well… faster

FOX FLOAT X LIVE VALVE NEO

Looking at the list it only goes to 230×65 which is sod all use to me.

rockhopper70

The lack of fork application, Fox say there would be no gains in performance to be made.  Strikes me that’s an excuse for it being technically impossible, ie the fork is the sensor so it’s too late once it’s struck a bump to open?  Surely there are performance gains to be had having a firm fork while climbing?

Seems like a whole lot of faff to me, and funny to see Mr Rude in the promo video getting to the top of a climb then having to reach for his phone and fanny round with it before heading off downhill. Defo more efficient that…

Final whinge, available as an aftermarket, so is it only electrically manipulating existing suspension controls, but more frequently. Ie, there is an electronic interface prompting manual adjustments?  The electronics response time might be fractions of a second but how fast is the mechanical response?

frogstomp

Final whinge, available as an aftermarket, so is it only electrically manipulating existing suspension controls, but more frequently. Ie, there is an electronic interface prompting manual adjustments?  The electronics response time might be fractions of a second but how fast is the mechanical response?

It comes as a complete aftermarket shock, not as something you add to your existing shock. The shock internals are different with a solenoid operating the compression damping valving.

The lack of fork application, Fox say there would be no gains in performance to be made.

The PB video goes into a bit of detail comparing it to the Rockshox Flight Attendant system which has gubbins in the fork too.

nickc

That looks like a whole mess of faff to me.

I think the whole point to Fox’s offering is that it’s less faff than Flight Control which really is integrated. The Neo is just the shock and two sensors on the brake mounts, if you’re looking at these sorts of electronics aids to fit to your existing bike, of the two systems Fox is by the far the less complex. I think the hurdle for me is both the price (silly money) and who’s it aimed at really. Technically it looks pretty impressive, but so what…

SirHC

Forks and shocks properly built and tunes for the rider. Bushings sized, shim stacks redone, etc. Will make far more difference than tweaking things on a phone.

I have AXS on the road bike, as its better than a mechanical groupset. I won’t be fitting into the winter hack/gravel bike as I can’t be doing with the inevitably of water getting in and it packing up, have enough misery of the ebike doing that!

rockhopper70

@frogstomp, the STW cites it being available as an aftermarket kit.  So I’m assuming it’s a standard shock, with standard mechanical adjustment facility, that is just twiddled electronically hundreds of times a ride.  Can’t see that being good for long term reliability of the shock mechanicals.

stanley

It’s early days for this technology. Some top-end motorcycles have had semi-active suspension for years. The latest versions are absolutely amazing to ride: truly like a magic carpet on our knackered roads, yet taught and responsive when needed. They compensate for weight shift too.

I’m not convinced that a mountain bike is the right environment for this technology although it may have potential for more applications/users in years to come.

frogstomp

@rockhopper70 – the kit is the shock plus sensors – it’s not a standard shock. PB goes into a bit more detail about the internals (solenoid etc.).

nickc

although it may have potential for more applications/users in years to come.

The obvious one I guess is the ability to pair this sort of shock to a bike that doesn’t pedal well otherwise but has amazing DH capability.

tomhoward

I have AXS on the road bike, as its better than a mechanical groupset. I won’t be fitting into the winter hack/gravel bike as I can’t be doing with the inevitably of water getting in and it packing up, have enough misery of the ebike doing that!

I’ve commuted for a year on an AXS gravel bike, as well MTBing with it for 5 years. Hasn’t missed a beat.

rockhopper70

@frogstomp, apologies, you are correct. The fox site shows the NEO shock, then you have to buy the kit on top to complete the system.  One would assume the shock comes with the technology as standard, as that’s kind of the point.

Too speedy for me, and they don’t do it in my teeny weeny 184×44 size.

duncancallum

Should go full Firefox and you should be able to think about what you want settings wise…

Promo should be clint Eastwood riding moab….

ribena
    Free Member

It’s a complete rip off you can build your own for a fraction of the cost that works just as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.